Fordmods Logo

Reusing au head gasket 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Reusing au head gasket
Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:56 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Hi,

I've recently done a head gasket change on my ef as there was a problem with my head. I put the head back on and changed all the seals, touqued the head down and got it running. But I noticed it still had the same problem. Turns out a pin hole leak in a spark plug thread. So I have to take it off again and get it fixed.

So my question is can I reuse the au gasket when I replace the head again. The car was only run for a total of 1 min and never even got close to heating up. I wont be reusing the head bolts as they stretch. But I am unsure if the au gasket compresses in anyway.

It maybe a case not worth the risk.

Cheers tim

1995 EF Futura
Port and Polished 94DT Tickford Head - Crow valve springs - 68mm Throttle Body - Wade 1673
4499 Pacemakers - 2.5" exhaust - Ti J3 Chip - 2J1 Techedge Logger -EL Tickford 3.45LSD -
XR low springs - Boge Turbo Shocks - Front DBA slotted Rotors - BA ESS shifter - Shift Kit

Post subject: Re: Reusing au head gasket
Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:48 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

yes, you can re-use it. spray some holymo stuff from repco on it.

4LTR-JET: 9.1 @150mph!!

Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:07 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

Hey don't ever re use a head gasket! Sounds like you have done something very wrong when fitting head gasket. You do know that head bolt threads in engine block have to be clean to achieve accurate torque readings it is always recommended a tap is used after cleaning out all the oil of them. Don'T have enough information but sounds like it is under torqued allowing oil into combustion chambers

I see this all the time my best advice is if you don't know what you are doing ie. fully qualified leave it to a professional i know your probably trying to save money but in the long run you will save money getting it done properly the first time

Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:13 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

ELboy wrote:
Hey don't ever re use a head gasket! Sounds like you have done something very wrong when fitting head gasket. You do know that head bolt threads in engine block have to be clean to achieve accurate torque readings it is always recommended a tap is used after cleaning out all the oil of them. Don'T have enough information but sounds like it is under torqued allowing oil into combustion chambers

I see this all the time my best advice is if you don't know what you are doing ie. fully qualified leave it to a professional i know your probably trying to save money but in the long run you will save money getting it done properly the first time

its an AU (MLS type) gasket not a graphite one.

4LTR-JET: 9.1 @150mph!!

Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:47 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

ELboy wrote:

finnigan001 wrote:
there was a problem with my head......

......Turns out a pin hole leak in a spark plug thread

Nothing to do with the quality of my work. The head shop never pressure tested the head before giving it back to me hence having to replace the head again.

1995 EF Futura
Port and Polished 94DT Tickford Head - Crow valve springs - 68mm Throttle Body - Wade 1673
4499 Pacemakers - 2.5" exhaust - Ti J3 Chip - 2J1 Techedge Logger -EL Tickford 3.45LSD -
XR low springs - Boge Turbo Shocks - Front DBA slotted Rotors - BA ESS shifter - Shift Kit

Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

HiBoost wrote:
yes, you can re-use it. spray some holymo stuff from repco on it.

Do you know if the MLS gasket compresses at all after torquing it up?

1995 EF Futura

Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

You can re use metal gaskets providing you havent cooked the motor while it was in there.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:23 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

Ok sorry mate if it is MLS might be ok, but beware the cheaper AU gasket kits had graphite head gaskets

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]