Fordmods Logo

Rev limiter or no rev limiter 

 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

 
 Post subject: Rev limiter or no rev limiter
Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:04 pm 
Tyre Shredder
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 350

Joined: 23rd May 2008

Ride: AU series 1 XR6

Location: hartley
SA, Australia

just wondering does my car have a rev limiter

its an au series 1 xr6

thanks for any help
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:10 pm 
Fordmods Junkie
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 3083

Joined: 22nd Sep 2005

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

yes. 5800rpm from mem

 

_________________

Image
latest mod: A Service
MY BUILD THREAD

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Rev limiter or no rev limiter
Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6166

Joined: 8th May 2007

djcustomcomputing wrote:
just wondering does my car have a rev limiter

its an au series 1 xr6

thanks for any help


Have you ever wondered why it doesnt rev to 10 grand?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Rev limiter or no rev limiter
Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 35

Posts: 1775

Joined: 10th Jul 2007

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

Location: Waurn Ponds
VIC, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
djcustomcomputing wrote:
just wondering does my car have a rev limiter

its an au series 1 xr6

thanks for any help


Have you ever wondered why it doesnt rev to 10 grand?


primarily becaue of its bore/stroke combo, and lesser extent materials and construction.

10k is a rediculous mark anyway. buy a honda.

These motors when developed were tested to 7k, and given a 5500-5800 limit for reliabilties sake.

A rebuilt and blueprinted engine can go well beyond the conservative limit ford put on them factory by all reports.

however at high speeds ie 180+ the auto's are known to throw driveshafts.

 

_________________

enough isn't enough

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Rev limiter or no rev limiter
Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:45 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6166

Joined: 8th May 2007

More Grunt wrote:
10k is a rediculous mark anyway. buy a honda.

These motors when developed were tested to 7k, and given a 5500-5800 limit for reliabilties sake.


Well what the f**k am i supposed to do with this 10,000rpm MoNsTa tACho with FLuRo Multi-coloured Shift Light?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Rev limiter or no rev limiter
Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:08 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 35

Posts: 1775

Joined: 10th Jul 2007

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

Location: Waurn Ponds
VIC, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
More Grunt wrote:
10k is a rediculous mark anyway. buy a honda.

These motors when developed were tested to 7k, and given a 5500-5800 limit for reliabilties sake.


Well what the f**k am i supposed to do with this 10,000rpm MoNsTa tACho with FLuRo Multi-coloured Shift Light?


BWAHAHAHAHA thats gold man.

good thing those wankers are mostly confined to holdens...

 

_________________

enough isn't enough

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 4401

Joined: 25th Mar 2005

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

I don't know why you'd want to rev a Falcon six so hard anyway, their powerband is over by 5000rpm. I hardly ever take mine to the limiter.

 

_________________

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Rev limiter or no rev limiter
Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 567

Joined: 2nd Jul 2007

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 5spd EF

More Grunt wrote:
FordFairmont wrote:
djcustomcomputing wrote:
just wondering does my car have a rev limiter

its an au series 1 xr6

thanks for any help


Have you ever wondered why it doesnt rev to 10 grand?


primarily becaue of its bore/stroke combo, and lesser extent materials and construction.

10k is a rediculous mark anyway. buy a honda.

These motors when developed were tested to 7k, and given a 5500-5800 limit for reliabilties sake.

A rebuilt and blueprinted engine can go well beyond the conservative limit ford put on them factory by all reports.

however at high speeds ie 180+ the auto's are known to throw driveshafts.


How true this is i don't know, but my mates EL was known to coast at 2grand at 180, the revs would just drop and stay at 2grand (auto).

rev limiters have saved me a few times, why you would want to get rid of it is beyond me. Reliability, or being able to s**t out of your mouth that you can push your car an extra 500rpm while doing damage, personally I'm going to go with reliability.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Rev limiter or no rev limiter
Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 35

Posts: 1775

Joined: 10th Jul 2007

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

Location: Waurn Ponds
VIC, Australia

OsbornThomas wrote:

How true this is i don't know, but my mates EL was known to coast at 2grand at 180, the revs would just drop and stay at 2grand (auto).
.


thats coz of the speed limiter in 4 speed auto's falcons. they are factory limited because the BTR is known to fail if taken above 180km/h. the stresses on keeping the shaft turning at that speed will cause a failure where the gearbox and driveshaft come together. The engine is progresively shut don to stop it going any quicker.

T5 manual falc arnt limited.

 

_________________

enough isn't enough

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Rev limiter or no rev limiter
Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 2282

Joined: 14th Jan 2005

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

More Grunt wrote:
FordFairmont wrote:
More Grunt wrote:
10k is a rediculous mark anyway. buy a honda.

These motors when developed were tested to 7k, and given a 5500-5800 limit for reliabilties sake.


Well what the f**k am i supposed to do with this 10,000rpm MoNsTa tACho with FLuRo Multi-coloured Shift Light?


BWAHAHAHAHA thats gold man.

good thing those wankers are mostly confined to holdens...


not really the guy i bought the xr off had a 5" monster tacho that read to 10k on the right hand corner of the dash, to his credit though the car is manual. yeah that was removed pretty damn quick

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:35 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 81

Joined: 12th Jan 2008

Ride: MANUAL EF XR6 WGN

Location: TOWNSVILLE
QLD, Australia

limiters r there for a reson unless you want a tailshaft of doom under your car i suggest you keep the limiter

 

_________________

EF XR6 WGN LOWERED FG 19' XR6T RIMS SOUND SYS, 2 1/2' EXAUST

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 30

Posts: 1087

Joined: 1st Sep 2007

Ride: '07 LT XR5

Power: 133 rwkw

Location: sydney
NSW, Australia

fnp wrote:
I don't know why you'd want to rev a Falcon six so hard anyway, their powerband is over by 5000rpm. I hardly ever take mine to the limiter.
with a stock or light cam yes.

put in a violent cam and then you might want to increase the limitre to 6,000, 6,500rpm.

 

_________________

So much RAM the motherboard twisted off the POST.

I lost 3 cylinders... but gained a turbo...
Proud owner of an '07 XR5Turbo

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 28

Posts: 2515

Joined: 27th Mar 2006

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

Location: Brisbane
QLD, Australia

Gavsed wrote:
limiters r there for a reson unless you want a tailshaft of doom under your car i suggest you keep the limiter


makes sense considering this topic is about the rev limiter, not the speed limiter....

 

_________________

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: Rev limiter or no rev limiter
Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 6168

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

More Grunt wrote:
T5 manual falc arnt limited.

Yes they are, i'm running a GLI ecu in my Fairmont, and i can assure you that it has a limiter. XR ECU's on the other hand dont...

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 34

Posts: 2351

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

Every Falcon has a rev limiter. Unless you have an aftermarket ECU, which you can adjust.All Falcons other than XR's have speed limiters.  For the forementioned tailshaft of doom scenario.
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:04 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names