Fordmods Logo

Rough idle BA 6 cylinder 

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Rough idle BA 6 cylinder
Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:42 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

I have a 2003 BA Fairmont 6 cylinder. It has recently started to idle really roughly – like it is running on 5 cylinders. Upon cold start up, it idles at 1600rpm for about 5 seconds before slowly coming down to a more reasonable idle of about 1000. It used to idle at about 750 for most of the time, cold or warm and really smoothly too. Now it barely idles below 1000 regardless of temperature or air conditioning being on or off. Once the car gets moving, it seems to run normal. Fuel economy is acceptable; power is ok (although it feels sluggish off the line). I did an oil change and filter change recently too and the oil still looks good. I have no idea what this could be but it only seems to affect idle. Can anyone please offer suggestions? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Rough idle BA 6 cylinder
Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:32 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: ba xr6t ute

WA, Australia

intake/exhaust gaskets, TPS,Fuel filter, dirty TB off the top of my head

Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF wagon

NSW, Australia

take the intake pipe off, and give the trottle body a good clean.

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:07 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 2003 Ford BA XT 4.0 LT

VIC, Australia

you could try replacing your oxygen sensor,cleaning your throttle body is not a good idea,i cleaned mine and ended up having to buy a new one as i had removed the varnish from the inside surface which is coated by the factory and cannot be replaced.also you could try resetting the computer by removing the battery leads overnight negetive lead off first and negetive lead on first when replacing them.these have solved my problems in the past i hope this helps.

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:34 pm 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

Albyhar wrote:
you could try replacing your oxygen sensor,cleaning your throttle body is not a good idea,i cleaned mine and ended up having to buy a new one as i had removed the varnish from the inside surface which is coated by the factory and cannot be replaced.also you could try resetting the computer by removing the battery leads overnight negetive lead off first and negetive lead on first when replacing them.these have solved my problems in the past i hope this helps.

my god man what did you use, acid?

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:41 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ba XR6

SA, Australia

mines developed a bit of a rough idle and a little slugish to, but mine is the opposite, it will start and lope like a lumpy v8 at 400rpm for about 4 seconds then get up to revs, tried the spark plugs not long ago. Brand new coil packs and full injector rebuild last week and still nothing. im trying the 02 sensor soon but the exhaust gasket does sound a little fluffy so that could help. would love to know if you have any luck

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:19 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

I had the same problem and found to be my Throttle Position Sensor. Took 15 mins to do and all is good now. The BA's were known to have sus TPS's.

BUT, as mentioned above, you can try the cheap stuff first.

At $0: Reset computer (take battery off for >20mins), tighten all manifold bolts, check PCV valve, clean Throttle body and clean fuel reg.

Then take your pick: fuel/air filter replacement, spark plugs, O2 sensor, power steering sensor, coils and or TPS sensor. Where do you stop!??? Anyway, if you're fuel economy hasn't gone out, you still have power when accelerating with no miss, I'm leaning towards your TPS. Don't quote me / I'm no mechanic but just going by my experience.

Let me know your findings..

FYI: I have one brand new Ford Genuine TPS. I may be able to get more within 2 weeks! Sell price: $95 + freight. (I'm in Melbourne) I believe Ford sells these for around $170. PM me if anyone is interested.

Last edited by bjcrown on Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:09 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

i replaced my whole TB and i still get the viberations:( was damaged thou so needed to be done anyways. fuel filter and fuel pump are next on my list

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:33 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BA XR6

VIC, Australia

sounds like coil packs?

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

Sounds to me like you have a vacuum leak somewhere on the intake side, grab a can of CRC, degreaser or aerostart, and spray it all around the inlet manifold area until you notice the revs pick up, also look for any hoses that are cracked, or have come off. Let us know how you go.

Gab

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:17 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 05 ba xr6 mkll

NSW, Australia

yeah mate iv been getting the rough idles when i start too

Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:19 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ba XR6

SA, Australia

bjcrown wrote:
I had the same problem and found to be my Throttle Position Sensor. Took 15 mins to do and all is good now. The BA's were known to have sus TPS's.

BUT, as mentioned above, you can try the cheap stuff first.

At $0: Reset computer (take battery off for >20mins), tighten all manifold bolts, check PCV valve, clean Throttle body and clean fuel reg.

Then take your pick: fuel/air filter replacement, spark plugs, O2 sensor, power steering sensor, coils and or TPS sensor. Where do you stop!??? Anyway, if you're fuel economy hasn't gone out, you still have power when accelerating with no miss, I'm leaning towards your TPS. Don't quote me / I'm no mechanic but just going by my experience.

Let me know your findings..

FYI: I have one brand new Ford Genuine TPS. I may be able to get more within 2 weeks! Sell price: $95 + freight. (I'm in Melbourne) I believe Ford sells these for around $170. PM me if anyone is interested.

first up could it affect my car if ive put a breather on my front PCV spot, thought that it helped by not oiling up the TB and ivekept it clean. aslo where is the TBS sensor located, ive taken it to to many mechanics and got nothing to even bother with them anymore. looking at 02 sensor next i recon

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:18 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 1995 ef ford falcon

NSW, Australia

Have you tryd the leads?

Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:59 am 
Smokin em up

WA, Australia

BAs dont have leads

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:24 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Bufftony wrote:
first up could it affect my car if ive put a breather on my front PCV spot, thought that it helped by not oiling up the TB and ivekept it clean. aslo where is the TBS sensor located, ive taken it to to many mechanics and got nothing to even bother with them anymore. looking at 02 sensor next i recon

Again I'm no mechanic but I would not think it would affect your car with a breather. Just make sure all connections are tight with no leaks. TBS sensor is bolted up against the side of the TB (facing the windscreen if your looking for it from the front of the car). NB: I have a brand new Genuine TBS sensor for $95. If you're interested PM me....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next