Fordmods Logo

Rough idle in drive 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: Rough idle in drive
Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:10 am 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Posts: 65

Joined: 5th Mar 2005

Ride: Falcon

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

Okay, my EF has a rough idle when sitting at the lights in D, goes away when I pop it into netreul. After lots (read: 2 days) of research I still don't know how to fix this.

I noticed if a put my left foot on the brakes and rest my right on the accelerator it goes away.

Any ideas??
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:06 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 54

Posts: 4102

Joined: 18th Nov 2004

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

Location: Carrum Downs
VIC, Australia

Sounds like your base idle needs adjusting, how fast is it idling.

In Park or Neutral the idle is faster as there is no load on the motor, therefore smoother.

In Drive the idle will drop, and if it is set too low then it will be rough.

The reason it is smooth when you rest you foot on the accelerator is you are slightly increasing the idle speed.

 

_________________

Image
She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 927

Joined: 6th Nov 2004

Ride: BA Falcon EGas

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

Get a screwdriver (flat head) and adjust the idle (its on the throttle body). Its a tiny screw that pushes the throttle butterfly in and out.

 

_________________

BA Falcon Futura on EGas. Stock as...

EF 5 speed manual; PH 4480 Pacemaker Headers; 2 1/2" Lukey Mandrel Bent System; Hi Flow Walker Cat; Stage 3 Crow Cam; ChipTorque Chip; 3" Mandrel Bent Intake; K&N Pod Filter; Low Pedders Suspension; 17" EL GT Champagne Rims; RPM Series Clutch

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:27 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Posts: 65

Joined: 5th Mar 2005

Ride: Falcon

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

Thanks guys, will try this arvo when I have my wife here to sit in the car and hold her foot on the brake.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:29 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 5858

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

Location: Leederville
WA, Australia

Pollux wrote:
Thanks guys, will try this arvo when I have my wife here to sit in the car and hold her foot on the brake.


it doesn't need to be in drive mate - you can do it with the engine running in park.

i'd reccommend you do a proper re-set of the base idle though, rather than just bumping up the idle as it is...

 

_________________

R.I.P. Scotty

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:10 pm 
Parts Gopher
Offline

Posts: 65

Joined: 5th Mar 2005

Ride: Falcon

Location: Sydney
NSW, Australia

uglybob wrote:
Pollux wrote:
Thanks guys, will try this arvo when I have my wife here to sit in the car and hold her foot on the brake.


it doesn't need to be in drive mate - you can do it with the engine running in park.

i'd reccommend you do a proper re-set of the base idle though, rather than just bumping up the idle as it is...


How would I go about doing that?? Sorry, I'm kinda new to this whole EFI thing.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:16 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 33

Posts: 5858

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: '95 EF's

Location: Leederville
WA, Australia

Pollux wrote:
uglybob wrote:
Pollux wrote:
Thanks guys, will try this arvo when I have my wife here to sit in the car and hold her foot on the brake.


it doesn't need to be in drive mate - you can do it with the engine running in park.

i'd reccommend you do a proper re-set of the base idle though, rather than just bumping up the idle as it is...


How would I go about doing that?? Sorry, I'm kinda new to this whole EFI thing.


hmmm... from memory, reset the ECU (by leaving the battery off for 30mins or so), disconnect the ISC motor, turn the car on, and bump the base idle screw up until the car idles pretty well - i.e. about 750rpm or so. then connect the ISC motor again, and put the car under load... i.e. turn to full lock left/right, air-con on full blat, etc, so the ECU compensates for the load by adjusting the idle up slightly.

the car will take a little while to learn, but *should* settle itself out after a few hundred kms - i.e. until the ECU relearns itself :wink:

someone correct me if thats wrong!

 

_________________

R.I.P. Scotty

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:54 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names