Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: rough idleing
Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:19 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 1996 ford fairmont ef

QLD, Australia

hi all i have just a couple of questions for all of you,
i have a 1996 EF fairmont and when it is started it idles rough i have had the engine mounts changed from hydrolic to standard the harmonic balencer replaced and a two good services and one exellent on from a mate at holden but it runs smooth for a day and then starts to run rough again are there any common problems that cause this are they easly fixed the problem only started when i had the mounts changed but didnt get any worse it got even worse whe the harmonic balencer was changed and since then we have stopped using this mechanic as he way way overcharged me $1,600 for the harmonic balencer and a standard service when other mechanics have all said way cheaper prices so if anyone could help me with this it would be amazing are there any adjustments that need to be done or made that can be done by me a mechanical novice and if so please dont be affraid to give me any details as it would help

thanks in advance
thomas

Post subject: Re: rough idleing
Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:53 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

This issue could be one of like a hundred different things. What do you mean by rough idle? Are you talking about an engine miss or an erratic idle where the revs move up and down or a constantly shaking/vibrating motor?

I'm a mechanic myself could have a look at it for you if you reach a dead end with ya local mechanic, a vacuum gauge and a multimeter should tell you whats happening

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:22 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

Also doubt your car got an excellent service at a holden dealership workshop
All a regular service is, is just an oil and lube change and a quick safety check

And hey im really sorry to hear you paid 1600 for a new balancer fitted. I have never herd of such a rip off ever! Please let everyone know what workshop did the job so they can be avoided. Depending on the brand a new harmonic balancer only cost between $90-$180 trade price so you have paid some kunt around $1400 to fit it. These pricks really give us mechanics a bad name

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:29 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 1996 ford fairmont ef

QLD, Australia

When i say rough idle when it warms up it just rock off its head and you can feel the roughness through the steering whell but it deepends on the day as to how rough it is. What i mean by elxellent service from holden is that they spoke to me as if i was a human explained in detail right down to even the tools they were using what they were doing how much each thing costed and how long it was going to take and even showed me tools diagnostic equipment and even let me have a go at an oil chenge which until then i have never done before.

The mechanic name is mike davis automotive he was areally good mechanic until he started over chargeing our family and freinds when my nan had an engine change in her toyota because the engine seized over night the day after he serviced it and then he charged through the roof to change the engine over that we had to get at our own cost but i hear around that he is not a good mechanic and no one should use him as he cuts corners

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ELboy wrote:
Also doubt your car got an excellent service at a holden dealership workshop
All a regular service is, is just an oil and lube change and a quick safety check

maybe in your workshop thats all it is.

The rough idle could be any number of issues. IF you've had rubber mounts fitted what did they do to mount the coil? Does it only do it hot? or does regardless of temp?
How much manifold vacuum does the engine have at idle? How much fuel pressure does it have at idle? Any fault codes?

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:36 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Vibrations through steering wheel at idle is generally the drivers side engine mount fails( This happened on my falcon and I installed the late EL rubber mount and bracket made by Kelpro). Since you have done this already I would check your rear gear box mount hasn't perished or oil soaked.

First thing I would do is install new ignition leads, spark plugs and a new fuel filter. I would then replace the inlet manifold gasket or even try tighten the 12*10mm bolts. A blown inlet manifold gasket or loose bolts can cause a very rough idle.

Cheers.......

Current ride 2007
ML GLX Dualcab Triton 4x4

Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

EL___Fairmont wrote:
Vibrations through steering wheel at idle is generally the drivers side engine mount fails( This happened on my falcon and I installed the late EL rubber mount and bracket made by Kelpro). Since you have done this already I would check your rear gear box mount hasn't perished or oil soaked.

First thing I would do is install new ignition leads, spark plugs and a new fuel filter. I would then replace the inlet manifold gasket or even try tighten the 12*10mm bolts. A blown inlet manifold gasket or loose bolts can cause a very rough idle.

Cheers.......

That could be an expensive way to find the problem. I wouldn't be replacing anything untill the problem is found.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]