Fordmods Logo

[IR]'s Installing a cam | Cam installation 

 

Page 3 of 7 [ 94 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

 
Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 67

Posts: 190

Joined: 15th Oct 2008

Location: Bumsville
QLD, Australia

Thanks guys! Phongus I'll read through all the chain tensioner info and go from there. I would love to pull it all apart and clean everything and do it right, but fear that my knowledge and patience will hold me back.

I think I have all the infomation available now to get this done, couldnt have done it without yous. I do have one last question though, if I'm going to be lazy and hurry this along- how do I get the original gear back on without loosening the chain? Is it impossible?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:36 pm 
Moderator
Offline

Posts: 14513

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Ride: ford falcon au3 xr8

Location: a shit suburb in sydney
NSW, Australia

InspectorRectum wrote:
Thanks guys! Phongus I'll read through all the chain tensioner info and go from there. I would love to pull it all apart and clean everything and do it right, but fear that my knowledge and patience will hold me back.

I think I have all the infomation available now to get this done, couldnt have done it without yous. I do have one last question though, if I'm going to be lazy and hurry this along- how do I get the original gear back on without loosening the chain? Is it impossible?


at this stage the chain tensioner needs to be released there is no way around it :)
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:39 pm 
Moderator
Offline

Posts: 14513

Joined: 7th Nov 2004

Ride: ford falcon au3 xr8

Location: a shit suburb in sydney
NSW, Australia

as it seems that you havnt done this before.
being a cms cam im assuming its a re-grind??
have fitted the shims in the lifters???
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:39 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 67

Posts: 190

Joined: 15th Oct 2008

Location: Bumsville
QLD, Australia

:( gonna be a long night... hope you guys had an easy monday :P
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:40 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 67

Posts: 190

Joined: 15th Oct 2008

Location: Bumsville
QLD, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
as it seems that you havnt done this before.
being a cms cam im assuming its a re-grind??
have fitted the shims in the lifters???


!!!!!!!! thanks for reminding me!! lol that would have been nasty :roll:
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6166

Joined: 8th May 2007

pm sent
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:58 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 67

Posts: 190

Joined: 15th Oct 2008

Location: Bumsville
QLD, Australia

thanks, just have to set up a true blue account.

where abouts is the tensioner bolt assembly thing? does the power steering pump have to be removed? could anyone do a pic up or something?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6166

Joined: 8th May 2007

InspectorRectum wrote:
where abouts is the tensioner bolt assembly thing? does the power steering pump have to be removed?


DUDE no offence but ive mentioned it a few times !!

FordFairmont wrote:
yep, remove the power steering pump and its bracket and move them out of the way, then you can follow the other thread on how you lock up & release the tensioner.


FordFairmont wrote:
Secondly as mentioned, theres a self tensioner on the chain, which is accessed behind the power steering pump.


FordFairmont wrote:
To get to the tensioner you have to unbolt the power steering pump and its bracket and move it out of the way
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 67

Posts: 190

Joined: 15th Oct 2008

Location: Bumsville
QLD, Australia

sorry mate, jumping all over the place with what to do didnt help.

thanks!!!

Last edited by InspectorRectum on Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 31

Posts: 3893

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

It won't lift because there are guide dowels that will be in tight,

the way i do it sometimes is to actually grab a rocker arm with my hands and lift them from the lifter end and use them as a lever on the cam, won't do it any harm.

 

_________________

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6166

Joined: 8th May 2007

InspectorRectum wrote:
sorry mate, didnt grasp a hold on that concept so I just spat out another Q. :P on a roll now though, new shims are in and the rest will be done shortly.

thanks!!!


do you know how to remove the belt, before you unbolt the power steering pump?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:00 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 67

Posts: 190

Joined: 15th Oct 2008

Location: Bumsville
QLD, Australia

Gaz wrote:
It won't lift because there are guide dowels that will be in tight,

the way i do it sometimes is to actually grab a rocker arm with my hands and lift them from the lifter end and use them as a lever on the cam, won't do it any harm.


you sur bout that?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 67

Posts: 190

Joined: 15th Oct 2008

Location: Bumsville
QLD, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
InspectorRectum wrote:
sorry mate, didnt grasp a hold on that concept so I just spat out another Q. :P on a roll now though, new shims are in and the rest will be done shortly.

thanks!!!


do you know how to remove the belt, before you unbolt the power steering pump?


yeah can do that, just about to start actually. i wont be able to finish this tonight cause i need lifter rubbers as well as a rocker gasket but im gonna do what i can -are the lifter rubbers readily available at supercheap or ford or do they have to be ordered?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6166

Joined: 8th May 2007

you mean the plastic clip which holds the 2 major parts of the lift together (retainer) ?

if so, theyre hard to find. Ford dont sell them separate, ask "Macxr8" a member here, he might be able to help you.

Some people just refit the lifters without the clips, just use tape around the rocker arm/lifter to hold it all together until you start tightening the rocker gear bolts down enough then you can remove the tape.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:11 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 67

Posts: 190

Joined: 15th Oct 2008

Location: Bumsville
QLD, Australia

but for the purpose of future reference, how do you remove the belt?


[Link below is sh!thouse, this thread explains it in detail: http://www.fordmods.com/forums/remove-t ... 71866.html]

Last edited by InspectorRectum on Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 3 of 7  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:31 am All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names