Fordmods Logo

second hand car with 260,000km 

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: second hand car with 260,000km
Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:09 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hey all,

Found a car today that i am going to look at tomorrow, its a EF Wagon and the sign recons its got 260 on the dial. It was advertised for 3000. From the outside it was looking really tidy but i thought it would be stuffed for that price and km. But since i have asked a few ppl about the km and they rekon it should be fine because those falcons go forever and the price doesn't seem that extremely cheap.

What do you guys think or reccomend?

Thanks heaps

---

Ralph

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA xr8 Magnet ute

VIC, Australia

well its a 95 model thats done 260,000 i have an EA which is an 89 that has also done 250,000. it seems a bit high for and EF. dont get me wrong you probably wouldnt have any problems with it. but id just look around a but more before buying. also enquire about the head. if its done 250 and the head or head gasket hasnt been done you could be looking at some $$ in the near future. good luck, cheers, also check for smoke

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL Monty

VIC, Australia

I bought my EL mont with 210000 on the clock, its 240000 now, only thing ive done is a cracked radiator hose, so as southy said check head/ smoke etc and u should be fine

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:23 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

WA, Australia

these cars can have a long life, but to be purchasing a car that has already travelled 260000kms seems a bit silly.
I wouldn't just jump into buying the first car you see, I guarantee if you look round a bit more at every single place you should be more than able to find the car you want with less mileage and more trustworthy
You might be spending less money at first, but you never know what it will be like further down the track

BA XR6 Turbo

Xtreme Tuned
240.1 rwkw at 12 PSI

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

There's AU's selling for under 6 grand now, so 3 grand for an EF on the mainland doesn't suprise me.
As for kilometers, they don't mean the be all and end all. you can stuff the engine up in 50 kilometers if you try too.

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Southy wrote:
well its a 95 model thats done 260,000 i have an EA which is an 89 that has also done 250,000. it seems a bit high for and EF. dont get me wrong you probably wouldnt have any problems with it. but id just look around a but more before buying. also enquire about the head. if its done 250 and the head or head gasket hasnt been done you could be looking at some $$ in the near future. good luck, cheers, also check for smoke

My AU has over 470,000 and still has not needed a head gasket change. Though its needed a new timing cover gasket, rear main seal, sump gasket 1 gear box and 1 diff but no head gasket. Still runns like the day i frst drove it, though the interior is starting to rattle a bit.

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA xr8 Magnet ute

VIC, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
Southy wrote:

My AU has over 470,000 and still has not needed a head gasket change. Though its needed a new timing cover gasket, rear main seal, sump gasket 1 gear box and 1 diff but no head gasket. Still runns like the day i frst drove it, though the interior is starting to rattle a bit.

holy s**t!! how the hell did your rack up that many kms?

Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

If i was you, i would get one of those RACV inspections if your serious about buying it, considering the milage. Altho it only equates to 26k avg per year, 500kms a week. I do about 800kms a week avg in my EB for comparison, it's just passed 252k kms, needs a few suspension bushes, main seals, reseal rocker cover ( rubber gaskit ) and possibly a head gaskit, leaking oil, but good comp still, no loss of comp at all.

I don't know about the EF, but EA - D it was common for high milage vehicles to start to crack around the rear door jambs. Where the spot welds are. Something to look out for.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el faimont, dual fuel

VIC, Australia

yeah ef-el had this same problem, or they can sometimes start to rust from inside pick it up as paint starts to decolour.

just get the racv reports done on any car you buy, it'll tell you if its been in a major ding, the state of the drive train extra, only cost like a $100 odd.

why do u write in here.

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

When buying a car, milage is only one part of the equation. Would you prefer a low milage car thats been mistreated, or a high milage one that been meticulously maintained.
Nothing like a damn good inspection and service history.
At 260,000 k's its possible that it has had all the common failures fixed or replaced.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Post subject: Re: second hand car with 260,000km
Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:55 am 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

ralph wrote:
what do you guys think or reccomend?

Like others have said, spend some cash on an inspection for it, or if you've got a mate that's a good mechanic, get him to have a squizz for you.
260k is about the norm I would think for an EF.
Don't let the Km's scare you off if it's in good nick.
Ask questions of the owner, like what works been done on it etc.
Stamped book is ideal.
But you can generally tell alot about how a car's been looked after by the condition it's in.
My Sprint has no service stamps, as first owner was a mechanic and did it himself, but it is IMMACULATE.
Good luck with it!

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Southy wrote:
xcabbi wrote:
Southy wrote:

holy s**t!! how the hell did your rack up that many kms?

Its my work car (the taxi). But that's nothing, my other car (the fairlane) has over a million on it but it has had the engine rebuilt around 400,000kms ago. But its interior does not rattle at all. My only gripe with that car is the door handles feel a bit loose and the leather on the steering wheel is a bit worn.

Quote:
When buying a car, milage is only one part of the equation. Would you prefer a low milage car thats been mistreated, or a high milage one that been meticulously maintained.
Nothing like a damn good inspection and service history.
At 260,000 k's its possible that it has had all the common failures fixed or replaced.

I can vouch for that I've seen many low mileage jap import that have been flogged out that bad they have a bottom end knock so bad that they sound like an ol HR holden with half a mil on the clock that's never had an oil change. And get this these things barely have over 120,000kms on them. High mileage cars don't seem so bad after all.

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:28 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

thanks everyone. Went and seen the guy tonight actually. He seems pretty genuine, hes always had it serviced and has receipts when ford say its due for one. had a drive and everything seems pretty smooth, gears are all good and all that, felt fairly similar to an AU i have driven a few times with only 70 on the clock.

it will need a few things for a rwc such as new headlights and a set of tires but other then that it seems okay to me.

But still, i'll be getting it checked out by RACV or something to make sure its not planning on becoming stuffed in another 20,000.

Thanks for all the advice and pointers everyong.

Now i gotta figure out if its worth selling the old telstar with 190,000 for this puppy...

thanks again

---

Ralph

Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

VIC, Australia

We've had several taxi's in the family for years and they were all falcons...

If the car has been looked after well and not given a hard time 260,000 k's is nothing mate, and if you continue to look after it, it will run forever...

Look for any oil leaks and also it would pay to have a mechanic check it out. Being an owner/driver (I'm assuming from what you have written), you should know plenty of people in the trade...

Post subject: this is what it looks like
Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:32 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

oh, thought while i was on here i'd add a photo too.

its looks exactly the same, no joke, but i think its acutally lowered a little. (not as immaculately clean though... it has been on a road lol)

Attachments:
540242.jpg
540242.jpg [ 22.54 KiB | Viewed 166 times ]

---

Ralph

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next