Fordmods Logo

serpentine belt on eb engine 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: serpentine belt on eb engine
Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

hey i want to run thermo fans and a serpentine belt on my ea that will have an eb non smartlock 4.0lt eng and gearbox. Can it be done? I know the thermos can but can the belt and if so what pulleys and tensioners will i need? and anyone got thermos for sale????

97 el xr6,5 speed short shifter,sequential scoop,no arial,freshly resprayed,low on 17's,3 inch zorst,stainless hi flo cat,snort stage 3 stainless manifold,garrett t04e,front mount cooler,wolf 3d ecu,seimens 760cc injectors,walbro fuel pump

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:26 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: Fairlane

QLD, Australia

Mate, you will need all of the anc. from an ef/el, inc alt, p/s pump, water pump etc. If using an ea manifold, you will need xh (mabey xg, whichever one used the ed manifold) tensionors from memory. you also need to change the timing cover to an ef/el one (not a fun job). You should be able to find the parts fairly easily, but not sure about the tensioner.

EL GLI, White
Power windows, Fairmont/Ghia door trims, converted to manual, extractors, zorst, wade cam, stereo, Tickford ECU, Tickford body kit, XR wheel.....

Mods to come: 3:45 LSD sitting in shed!!

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

hey thanks do all the ef/el parts bolt up to the ea brackets like the alt and p/s pump and will the ef/el timing cover bolt straight up?as i am going to have the engine out and the head off soon so shouldnt be too much trouble if it is a straight swap!
cheers chris

97 el xr6,5 speed short shifter,sequential scoop,no arial,freshly resprayed,low on 17's,3 inch zorst,stainless hi flo cat,snort stage 3 stainless manifold,garrett t04e,front mount cooler,wolf 3d ecu,seimens 760cc injectors,walbro fuel pump

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:05 pm 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Im pretty sure that you need to use all of the ef/el bolts and brackets for it all to fit. If you have the head off, fit the timing cover then. Also a good idea to fit new timing chain guides at the same time.

EL GLI, White
Power windows, Fairmont/Ghia door trims, converted to manual, extractors, zorst, wade cam, stereo, Tickford ECU, Tickford body kit, XR wheel.....

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Shell with 4 wheels

NSW, Australia

Yes you will need all the brackets bolts covers etc

To run your manifold, EF/EL belt, EF/EL thermos you may need to go to a XH/XG ecu (Don't go XH/XG XR ecu as they run EL BBM)

most costly part of the converstion is the EF/EL Air con unit as its 700 from ford and 350 at wreckers.

Cheers

Spider

P.S. Word of advice find a EL wreck and do the BBM, Thermos, One belt all at once much cheaper

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

is it possible to not get an ac compressor and use a much shorter 6pk or what ever they are belt?Coz really ac is overrated i got wd80 ac...windows down 80mph...lol i would need to find an el wreck that had a 5 speed ecu as i have got a 5 speed and a non smartlock 4.0lt eb engine!And then i would have to either get a dash from an eb2 with smartlock or a $300 smartlock bypass and i'll jus put in a huge cam to get the extra torque that a bbm manifold gives.Do you have serpentine belt?

Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

honestly what is the main reason for the change? is it just a bit more power going for thermo fans, if it is just get the thermo fans from an el and connect a relay and thermostat to power up the fans. alot cheaper and easier. unless you can buy a complete wrecked el!!

Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

hey it is for a bit more power and less noise...stupid clutch fan...and the serpentine belt looks heaps neater in the engine bay,i plan to just get a thermo kit and not run it from the ecu!

Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:33 am 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Its also worth it for having a single belt. Oh how easy they are to change:P Also good to have the higher amp alt.

EL GLI, White

Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

does anybody have anything i'll need for this mod that they are willing to sell...as long as its all in good nick!

Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:42 am 
Tyre Shredder

QLD, Australia

Mate, get in touch with xr8dismantler, he should have a couple of the bits you need, ive heard he has wrecked a ford or too recently :lol:

EL GLI, White

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]