Servicing 

Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Servicing
Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: E39 523i / EF Fairmont

QLD, Australia

Hey guys, I know there have probably been threads on this before. And I did actually try and google this too. But my car is due for it's 130 000km service and I want to attempt it myself.

So will I need to replace things like the oil filter, air filter? I know I'll have to drain the sump and put new oil in, anyone want to explain that process? (so that I don't blow my engine or something)

Me being a motoring noob, any wise words for me so I don't stuff up big? Or anything that a noob like myself could stuff up?

Just some tips and hints would be great.

Cheers.

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Oil and filter. Good beginnngs along the road to servicing your own car.

You'll need a bottle of oil, a Z9 filter, an oil catch try and a filter removal tool (i prefer the "3 finger" as opposed to the belt style).

Jack the car up and put stands in (never work under a car supported by only a jack). Put the oil catch tray in place, remove the drain plug, get oil all over your arm and drop the plug into the rapidly filling oil catch tray. Swear.

REmove the oil filler cap and let it drain for a while.

Remove the oil filter with the tool.

Dig around in the tray full of oil for the drain plug. Clean it with a rag. Put it back in.

Take the new oil filter and pour new oil into it. This means the oil pump will not have to fill the filter before providing oil to the rest of the engine. Smear a bit of fresh oil around the rubber o-ring on the filter.

Fit the filter to the engine. Dont do it too tight. Grab a rag (so you can grip the filter with your hand - which will be covered in oil at this stage). Get it as tight as you can with your hands - this will suffice.

Get all the tools etc from under the car, remove the stands and let the jack down. Pour oil into the filler hole. I think the 6cyl takes 5.5L????

Once filled to your satisfaction, start the engine and allow to run for a bit. Check oil level again.

Air filter: just get the suitable replacement, unclip the airbox lid, remove old filter, insert new one and clip airbox lid back on.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Get under the car, get your spanner or socket (I think the size is 13mm, but I might be wrong, probably am as that just doesn't seem right now that I think about it, 15mm maybe, I dunno, but you'll work it out). Anyways undo that bolt, personally I always do it with the engine nice and warm (as the oil is nice and runny then), I also usually run an engine flush first in it (you can get these at auto stores but they say not to use them if the car has more than 100,000km's and you havn't been using them in the past - s**t mine had 640,00km's before i put the first one in! :-) ). But if it's your first time prolly do it with the engine cold as the oil burns like s**t...
O, and don't forget to put newspaper down if you don't want stains and a tray or bucket or something to catch the oil.
Anyways while the oil is draining out of that, and I like to leave it for ages, as I'm pesky and like to get every little bit - I know a bloke who has a suringe (however you spell that) with a tube on the end and sticks it up there and tries to suck up any remaining bits!!!
So anyways while the oil is draining, get your oil filter wrench, and remove the oil filter from the passenger side.
Then remove the spark plugs using the tool to remove them or a spark plug socket from above the exhaust manifold on the drivers side of the engine, fiut the new ones - I put a bit of oil on the threads to stop them seizing in there or anything, but then I run iridiums that last 120,000km's, however, I remove them every service and reoil the threads and refit as it's just not worth risking it.
Check your ignition leads see if they are damaged physically at all, if they are, swear at this point because although it's a simple job to do, it's just a pain.
air filter, peice of piss, open the air box up, remove your K&N which I'm sure you've got and wash it, dry it and reoil it and refit, if you havn't got a K&N go buy one and fit it. Or if your running standard ones still, remove the old drop in the new close air box. peice of piss.
Fuel filter might be good to do if hasn't been done recently, flare nut spanners to remove it as it's just not worth f**k up the nuts (although as Disco says you can use normal spanners). undo the two nuts, slide out the old, slide in the new. do up the nuts, jiggle the lines a bit when fitting so that they sit proper.
Now do up the sump plug. Fit the new oil filter (Silverline OF1SL, Repco OF1, Ryco Z9, Valvoline V9 - I think, not sure about the Valvoline part number chunkz'll know but). But some oil on the rubber gasket around the oil filter before refitting so it seals nice. When doing it up, hand tight only!!!
Open the top of the engine and tip in your oil, I usually just tip the entire 5L's in as that's how much mine seems to take. But you can check with your dip stick.
Tehn put the stuff away, rubbish in the bin and wash your hands.

Last edited by twr7cx on Fri May 05, 2006 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
Jack the car up and put stands in (never work under a car supported by only a jack). Put the oil catch tray in place, remove the drain plug, get oil all over your arm and drop the plug into the rapidly filling oil catch tray. Swear.

If your not an overly large fella, and your cars not lowered, should be able to do it without jacking her up, which keeps it level so I think you get more of the oil out.

Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:16 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Another tip, make sure the old rubber O-ring actually comes off with the old filter...

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
4.9 EF Futura wrote:

If your not an overly large fella, and your cars not lowered, should be able to do it without jacking her up, which keeps it level so I think you get more of the oil out.

Good point. I just work on the assumption that most people on FM have lows or superlows :)

Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
Then remove the spark plugs using the tool to remove them or a spark plug socket from above the exhaust manifold on the drivers side of the engine, fiut the new ones - I put a bit of oil on the threads to stop them seizing in there or anything,

Sure you dont mean grease? Oil will burn off at the temperatures experienced on the plug's thread. Grease will not.

Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Hilux

VIC, Australia

where abouts in brisbane are you at? when are you thinking of doing this service?

Now driving a Hilux

Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
twr7cx wrote:
Then remove the spark plugs using the tool to remove them or a spark plug socket from above the exhaust manifold on the drivers side of the engine, fiut the new ones - I put a bit of oil on the threads to stop them seizing in there or anything,

Sure you dont mean grease? Oil will burn off at the temperatures experienced on the plug's thread. Grease will not.

Probably would be better to use grease then I guess... I've just always used oil.

Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Modified EA-S Falcon

Power: 142 rwkw

NSW, Australia

you always but the new oil onto the seal not grease.

Also before you drain the oil, run the engine for a short time to heat the oil up (not to long or you will burn yourself). this helps the oil (more of it than cold) flow out the lil hole in the sump. also make sure the car is level during the draining process. it will take a little bit of time for the oil to drain out.

Also as part of any service, check the plugs for where, check pads, check coolant, check battery acid level, check belts for excess movement, check tyre wear (and air pressure if your laze during normal driving), check for any leaks around the engin gearbox and diff (usually do this before the oil change and clean the oil off the engine if you spill some of the new oil). i usually check all my light globes are working as well but thats more a personal thing

Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Kenwood Maverick wrote:
you always but the new oil onto the seal not grease.

Yes - oil onto the oil filter's O-ring but grease onto the thread of sparkplugs when replacing them

Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 6:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Okay, how do I check the plugs?
What kind of oil do I use for the oil filter?
So i don't need any ramps really?

What tools will I need? I have the one to remove the oil filter and various other simple tools.

Leroy: I'm in South Brisbane, near hyperdome. Probably do this next Monday.

Btw the brakes are bad, but I think I'll get a pro to do them.

O and cheers for the help guys, I appreciate it.

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

Till_Lind wrote:
Okay, how do I check the plugs?
What kind of oil do I use for the oil filter?
So i don't need any ramps really?

What tools will I need? I have the one to remove the oil filter and various other simple tools.

Leroy: I'm in South Brisbane, near hyperdome. Probably do this next Monday.

Btw the brakes are bad, but I think I'll get a pro to do them.

O and cheers for the help guys, I appreciate it.

wipe new engine oil on the oil filter seal.

Spanner for Sump Plug
Feeler gauges for Spark Plugs
Sparkplug socket
Oil drain pan

What sort of filter wrench do you have?
the strap or belt type is awkward to use on a Falcon, Better to use a Socket type.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Hilux

VIC, Australia

well i could possibly offer to lend a hand on monday night if you can wait. or the weekend if you can wait even longer.
i could probably bring anything you didnt have to help do the job if needed too.
im pretty sure the 130 on an EF/EL is only a minor anyway so just oil and filter so no big drama

Now driving a Hilux

Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

This is the thing I got that I thought is what you use for the oil filter? Don't laugh if I'm wrong, lol.

And thanks for the offer Leroy, but I'd rather not drag you down my way and it would be good for me to try and do this by myself. Again, many thanks for generous offer mate. If I do run into some troubles I might take you up though, lol, would be something in it for you no doubt.

E39 523i
EF Fairmont

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next