Severe engine missfire 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Severe engine missfire
Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:53 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: BA Futura

QLD, Australia

Hi guys

I was driving at about 55km/hr when all of a sudden it felt like the engine dropped 3 cylinders, check engine light came on. I travelled about 100 meters until I could safely get off the road (Gympie Road Chermside, Brisbane ) engine still missfiring. I stopped and turned off engine, popped the bonnet. All fluid levels were fine, no leaks. Vacuum hoses all ok, engine temp indications were normal. Reached through the window and turned the key. Engine started fine, got in, drove away. The missfire felt controlled if that makes any sense. Does the BA have the cylinder de activation if an over temp condition exists? Thinking I might have a dodgy eng temp sensor. Anyone else had this problem? Suggestions?

Cheers

Chris

2002 BA Futura 4.0 Auto, no mechanical modifications.

Post subject: Re: Severe engine missfire
Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Vixen Red 09 FG XT

QLD, Australia

Is it mis firing at all RPM's? Say, only at low, or only at high? Check coil packs and sparkies. I had the same ish issue a little while back, and it was a dry day, stopped at a set of lights and just started running on 3 cylinders... got home, popped the hood, checked as much as I could, got told to check sparkies, and sure as s**t, they were soaked with water (how the f**k water got in there on a dry day, I have no f**k idea rofl). But yeah, was causing them to not fire. Hope this helps.

VIXEN FG XT Previous best - 14.431 @ 99.69mph with minor mods
Currently 14.235 @ 101mph same mods. Bring on the 13's!

Post subject: Re: Severe engine missfire
Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:46 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: BA Futura

QLD, Australia

It was at low RPM. As soon as it started I just let it coast until I could pull over. It has not done it since. Will check spark plugs and coils. I had to park it the next day as I had to go back to work. It will sit for 2 months until I get back. Might change the fuel filter as a precaution. Don't know when it was last changed, only had the car 7 months, 5 of which its been sitting in the shed.

Thanks for the reply, Ive got somewhere to start looking.

Cheers

Chris

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]