Fordmods Logo

Shaving the head??? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Shaving the head???
Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR6 with BF Turbo engine

NSW, Australia

depends on your cam more than anything. I have a reasonable big cam and didnt flycut the pistons. Do a trial fit and check to be 100% sure

RIP :( 1x confused Falcon..EL Falcon with full AU running gear...VCT, 5 speed, IRS, AUII front suspension, brakes, and steering RIP

Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:12 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 26 images

Ride: 2003 BA XR6 TURBO!!!!!

VIC, Australia

hey sorry about the lack of reply. Yeah I'm running acl pistons 48 thou combined an au headgasket running 10.2:1 comp with a 20thou overbore and crow 2222549 cam customized with 113 degree lobes to run better with gas. Haven't had it dynoed yet but I it's heaps touqier just not performing at top end yet. Got a fuel issue (running heaps to rich) and exhaust is to restrictive. As stupid as this seems I'm running duel fuel. So unfortunately there's a big compromise between cam siZe and compression. I've had no problems with hitting valves however the cam obviously has way less tolerance until it will hit valves. The bigger the cam or the shaving the lower this oleranc will be

Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

elvondel

Was the power differnce like wow this has heaps more go or not so much???

Do you think adding comp and having a standard cam will make alot more hp over standard or the power is basically in cam you have???

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

the cam and compression will work together
with higher comp, you can basically justifer going a larger cam, not sure on the math of it all lol
but yeah, as the engine works as a whole, you can get a cam ground to suit higher comp that would take advantage of the larger amout of air being used by the engine.

but im also curious of the gains made with higher comp on a stock cam

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

misk_one

im also with u on higher comp on standard cam as i went 2 a engine rebuilder/reconditioneer and i bumped into shane aka macxr8 on this forum which was a spin out. He feels there will be a ver noticeable difference and also mentioned to speak to Joe at CMS as he may have a cam grind to suite my under 2000-2500rpm driving habits as 90% of the time i just cruz my cars and dont thrash them.

So we carnt put an exact figure on higher comp on standard cam but its definatly noticeable and definatly worth wild doing it to that comp if you rebuilding ur engine.

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

im not rebuildingr the engine, just shaving the head.
so really just wondering about how far it can be shaved before it starts to have eithe rless of an effeect or a worse outcome.

i have no idea how much 10thou will affect the comrpession, but would 10.5:1 be an ok number?
to me it doesnt sound too high so as the engine will always ping, but should give a nice increase over the 8.8:1 (i think) that the EB2 engine comes with standard...

anyway would be good to get some more thoughts on this

XG Panelvan

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

it will ping its nut off if not tuned accordingly.

I'd say go anywhere from 9.5-9.8:1

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

sounds good to me!

XG Panelvan

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

misk_one

I misread the thread hahaha

from what ive read and spoken to ppl 10.2comp is safe and possibly upto 10.5 but not sure after that

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

its all good lol
i just figure as the head is off and it needs to be faced (in my case) then i may as well shave it, and i dont see the point in doing a .5 change in compression if i can go upto 10-10.5 and it still be ok

but for safety sake ill aim for around 10, as i know it will be hard to get exactly 10, so might end up with 10.2 or something...

im only after some high comp as with something like 10.5 and a mild cam it would give some pretty good numbers without having to go for a larger cam, which im not keen on doing cause this is my daily believe it or not lol

XG Panelvan

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Id tell the machining shop to take 20thou off the head and that would bring the comp up somewhere where u want it and not have any problems with timing chain and other things.

Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

awesome, thanks for the help :D

XG Panelvan

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

alright so ive asked the headshop to take off 30thou and the head has been faced before but not excessive. so should be ok. ill use an AU gasket and should see some nice comp.
will report how it goes when i put the head back on :)

XG Panelvan

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2