Fordmods Logo

Should I get an XR6 head? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

WagonDad wrote:
Just make sure you get a hardness test done, take it to the place where your getting the head work done and they should do the test for nothing. Run a straight edge over the head face and over where the cam sits. Might save wasting money on a stuffed head.

How true.
And check to make sure it hasn't been shaved to buggering. don't wanna end up with something that runs on av-gas only. {worse case scenario}

{me}Don't know why they made the exhaust valve bigger in the first place. {ford} ops we don't have room for bigger intake.

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Last edited by Slick on Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ED Falcon

SA, Australia

Quote:
the valves are 2mm bigger and if that is a waste, why are they there? and why do all the I6 builders go to the trouble of fitting them?
if you were to take a stock head to a machine shop and ask only to have the 41mm valves fited you will pay more then the $200 asking price for this head

the ports are a different shape too. you may end up with the same shape port in the end but it will be cheaper to get a tickford done than a stock head.
the valve seats are already cut for the 41mm valves and the port jod has already been started by the factory.

and the bonus of not have to wait with no car while the work is done.

Okay the valves are 2mm bigger, you could make a greater gain by increasing the lift.

Granted the ports being a different shape would give you a gain, but it would no doubt be for the XR Cam, not an aftermarket cam.

Also the port job was done in what 1994/ 1995, okay how much has technology improved in ten years ?
How much better would a 2005 port job be ?

The original post did not talk about a time issue. IE not having to wait with no car for the work to be done.

Say what you want, I have a head in being done at the moment, I had similar issues clairified to me by an engine head tech/ race engine builder with 20 years experience.

I post here cos the russian tank driver doesn't

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia & EF XR8

VIC, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
for $200 i'd get it. most places wouldn't sell you a stock head for that price

dont be so sure of that. i scored an ef head and cam minus rocker arms in more than excellent condition for a cool $150

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Futura

SA, Australia

Well not having the car off the road is a bonus.

What the real thing to consider is how much machining and head work i'll save by starting with a Tickford head rather than a stock one. Will it be cheaper to get the tickford one worked, or to save the money and get a standard one, and get that worked a bit more to get to the same level.

5 Speed EL Futura
Stock as a rock*
A1 Oils - Synthetic lubricants: www.a1oils.com.au
* A rock that has been Alted

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

hornet wrote:
Well not having the car off the road is a bonus.

What the real thing to consider is how much machining and head work i'll save by starting with a Tickford head rather than a stock one. Will it be cheaper to get the tickford one worked, or to save the money and get a standard one, and get that worked a bit more to get to the same level.

well if you what it get it. if it was me I'll try my hands on porting it myself.

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

ReGiE wrote:
it depends on what he is asking for the head and the condition.

it has a few positives over the standard head though

oversize exhaust valves
stronger valve springs
decked 20 thou to raise comp ratio
theres a few more things thay they have also

Brad (waggin) was running a DEV5 cam with standard comp for a while so it can be done.

Also a bit of a port, and the compression is only .05 above stock, 9.35:1 as opposed to stock ratio of 9.30:1 , cam lift etc is same, ramps are different though.

Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

opto wrote:
Quote:
the valves are 2mm bigger and if that is a waste, why are they there? and why do all the I6 builders go to the trouble of fitting them?
if you were to take a stock head to a machine shop and ask only to have the 41mm valves fited you will pay more then the $200 asking price for this head

the ports are a different shape too. you may end up with the same shape port in the end but it will be cheaper to get a tickford done than a stock head.
the valve seats are already cut for the 41mm valves and the port jod has already been started by the factory.

and the bonus of not have to wait with no car while the work is done.

Okay the valves are 2mm bigger, you could make a greater gain by increasing the lift.

Granted the ports being a different shape would give you a gain, but it would no doubt be for the XR Cam, not an aftermarket cam.

Also the port job was done in what 1994/ 1995, okay how much has technology improved in ten years ?
How much better would a 2005 port job be ?

The original post did not talk about a time issue. IE not having to wait with no car for the work to be done.

Say what you want, I have a head in being done at the moment, I had similar issues clairified to me by an engine head tech/ race engine builder with 20 years experience.

so how about more lift and bigger valves.

port job from then till now... any aftermarket porter can still only work with in what he is given.

we get your point you dont like the idea.
but it makes sence to save money getting a cheap head and having half the work already done.

as was said by some one els. they got a stock EF head for 150..
the tickford one come with biger valve and better ports for $50 more.

show me a machine shop that will do a mild port job and fit bigger valve for $50

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2