Fordmods Logo

sigh...overheating problems...help needed please! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: sigh...overheating problems...help needed please!
Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:36 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: BA Falcon

SA, Australia

hey all.

i drive an ED Futura...and have recently changed the clutch fan to a twin thermo fan from the EL. now i did this a couple of months ago i reckon and since it was cooler then i did'nt really notice any difference, i mean it ran a bit hotter but that was to be expected with the fan not running all the time.

however, these past few weeks havn't been good for my car. i am experience constant overheating. i tried to drive from adelaide to goolwa...and it overheated as soon as i hit the highway...even 100km/h with the fans on wasn't enought to cool it.

i am also running a POD filter with no cold air intake...but i really don't think this would cause the car to overheat so badly...driving yesterday WITHOUT the A/C on and it was nearly running in the red, fans running constantly at 90km/h.

i replaced the thermostat last week...but that really isn't helping. the only thing i can think of is a blocked radiator...because when i put the thermometer in the radiator hose for the thermatic switch...we had to silicon on the hose to stop leaks...maybe some silicon dislodged and got cught in the radiator?

i know this car has had a couple of overheating problems in the past summers...even with the clutch fan on so i dunno i'm all out of ideas...

and suggestions people would be VERY MUCH appreciated. thanks.

2002 BA XT: Painted calipers, K&N pod filter, Pioneer head unit, Fusion sub and amp, driving lights, spoiler, 19" rims, twin 2.25" exhaust with quad tips.

Soon to come... Pacemaker Extractors, supercharger.

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

SA, Australia

could be blocked radiator, is there enough water in it?

chances are with such constant over heating the head gasket may well have blown causing it to overheat. thats what happened to my ef. was losing water a lot and then one day strarted getting hotter and hotter. turns out i had a really badly f**k head gasket which all E- series falcons are prone to.

check on the exhaust side of your engine block for a greenish white stain. if u have that u have head gasket issues. another way to tell is if you have steam coming from your exhaust, or a very moist tip

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:16 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BA Falcon

SA, Australia

the coolant is full, and it's not using any, it's stayed full...my head is new...with no stain anywhere...and nah no steam, or tip...got a new exhaust on it.

so i dunno...thanks for the tips though.

2002 BA XT: Painted calipers, K&N pod filter, Pioneer head unit, Fusion sub and amp, driving lights, spoiler, 19" rims, twin 2.25" exhaust with quad tips.

Soon to come... Pacemaker Extractors, supercharger.

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

SA, Australia

sounds liek radiator to me then. take it to a mechanic get em to test it

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 1994 ED Ricer

WA, Australia

get a radiator test.. they are usually free these days

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA Falcon Suzy Across

Power: 178 rwkw

VIC, Australia

flush your cooling system out and use a hose to see if water is able to circulate reasonably.

178.3 rwkw
15.1@96 mph
Now with 3.9 shrooms

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

It is most likely to be a clogged radiator. Very common problem is for them to clog up with casting sand from when the block was made.

A flush at home will do very little if most of the tubes in the radiator are blocked.

You can have it cleaned out professionally for around $100 including new tank seals. Or replacement radiators are $170 -$220.

Also check out the space between the radiator and the air conditioning condenser. This often gets clogged up with leaves, bugs and other crap and cuts back on the air flow though the radiator.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

Had a lot of trouble with my eb, replaced the radiator with a three core, and it doesnt get hot now! After replacing water pump, fan centre, hoses, thermostat, all heater hoses etc.

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]