Fordmods Logo

single el belt conversion on 

Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:00 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

Froudey wrote:
Stealing the Thread Here... But was i wrong with ED bits going onto an AU motor???? cause this has maybe sparked my interest again... i want an AU motor with the log manifold so XH Aircon mounts would fit on the AU motor and i can use my EB compressor and still run the three belt setup or will the water pump fuk me over.

well i used the ea belts on my au engine and it all works fine.. but im about to change mine over to serpentine belt with ef bits from a wreck.
i wish i had of done it when i did mine.

im finding there are issues with using my ea aircon pump with the serpentine belt because the ea/ed pump sits about 1/2 inch further back compared to the ef pump. and the belt wont line up with the ef accesories. so im either going to make a offset plate to bring the pump forward.
or ill use the whole ef set up. i just have the problem above with having to change the aircon lines.

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:09 pm 

NSW, Australia

shonky12 wrote:
is it easier to keep the log manifold and use single belt or go bbm because i want single belt when i do the au conversion and i dont want to keep the 3 belt system i want single belt system, whats involved if i use bbm and log manifold. im about to get a ed fairmont sedan auto

if i was you i would just put the au engine with the el bbm manifold then use all the accesories from el or au.. you will get better performance using the el manifold and ecu..

but if you havnt got the car yet.why dont you just buy a ef or el to start with..unless you prefer the early e series?

i woulnt be making to many plans untill i have the car to mod!

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:19 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

i want the ed fairmont and only the ed i like the ed better.and also how do i make the ed trip computer work with the el ecu and bbm. i think you said to splice the data line in pin 34 into pin 58 but i want to fully confirm so i can make plans

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:15 am 

NSW, Australia

as far as i know you cant make the ed trip comp work on a el ecu.
ive tried a few times and i cant seem to get it to work properly..

maybe someone else knows how to make it work with the el ecu.

to do these type of mods (engine conversion/ecu wiring) you need to be able to weld and have electrical and mechanical understanding.
how mechanically minded are you?
if you have problems understanding electical componants and basic wiring
you might be better off getting a auto electrician to do the wiring?
there are some things you need to work out your self.
we can offer opinions and give you some info but we cant do the conversion for you.

as for getting the el ecu and bbm working there is info in this doco.
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/documents.php?doc=85

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
Froudey wrote:
Stealing the Thread Here... But was i wrong with ED bits going onto an AU motor???? cause this has maybe sparked my interest again... i want an AU motor with the log manifold so XH Aircon mounts would fit on the AU motor and i can use my EB compressor and still run the three belt setup or will the water pump fuk me over.

well i used the ea belts on my au engine and it all works fine.. but im about to change mine over to serpentine belt with ef bits from a wreck.

im finding there are issues with using my ea aircon pump with the serpentine belt because the ea/ed pump sits about 1/2 inch further back compared to the ef pump. and the belt wont line up with the ef accesories. so im either going to make a offset plate to bring the pump forward.
or ill use the whole ef set up. i just have the problem above with having to change the aircon lines.

So is the EB 3.9 the same as the EA one or EB/ED??? cause this might be good way to get my plan back on track...

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:16 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

someone said slice the data line (pin 34) into pin 58 (first bank of injectors) to get the ED trip computer working fully on a el ecu. is that true. can you give me guides on tricking the el ecu to work with the ed trip computer

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:44 pm 

NSW, Australia

Froudey wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
Froudey wrote:

So is the EB 3.9 the same as the EA one or EB/ED??? cause this might be good way to get my plan back on track...

afaik the 3.9 eb1 is the same as ea. the eb2 has a grooved alternator belt where the ea/eb1 alternator has a v belt and ed is the same as eb2.
the dimensions and brackets are all the same from ea to ed the only thing different is ed aircon lines are the same type as ef (so a ef pump will fit on a ed without changing aircon lines.

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:52 pm 

NSW, Australia

shonky12 wrote:
someone said slice the data line (pin 34) into pin 58 (first bank of injectors) to get the ED trip computer working fully on a el ecu. is that true. can you give me guides on tricking the el ecu to work with the ed trip computer

hmm actually you might be on the right track ?

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
Froudey wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
Froudey wrote:

afaik the 3.9 eb1 is the same as ea. the eb2 has a grooved alternator belt where the ea/eb1 alternator has a v belt and ed is the same as eb2.
the dimensions and brackets are all the same from ea to ed the only thing different is ed aircon lines are the same type as ef (so a ef pump will fit on a ed without changing aircon lines.

really my alternator is ribed not the v belt, my power steer is v belt and a/c compressor is flat v belt

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:52 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

can i use a ed aircon pump and change the pulley and how do i clear the ef tensioner using log manifold i will buy a xh tensioner if i have to and ill confirm what i need to use for a single belt conversion using log manifold.

EF/EL/AU Harmonic Balancer

EF/EL/AU Water Pump

EF/EL/AU Power Steer Pump

EF/EL/AU alternator

EF/EL Aircon compressor

XH Ute Belt/Tensioner

EF/EL Radiator

EL Thermo Fans

also if a cars only insured for to to $4000 does accident damage only cover that amount worth of damage because what happens if you have a accident and the cars only insured for 4000 and the other car and property damage is more than 4000 does it sill cover it

Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:56 am 

NSW, Australia

Froudey wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
Froudey wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
Froudey wrote:

really my alternator is ribed not the v belt, my power steer is v belt and a/c compressor is flat v belt

that means that you have eb2 accesories..
the only other thing is the aircon lines.
you will know what i mean when you compare the 2 pics below.

if your set up is like the ef one you can fit a ef pump without changing aircon lines..

Attachments:
File comment: ef pump (same hose fitting as ed)
efpump.JPG
efpump.JPG [ 208 KiB | Viewed 146 times ]

Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:05 am 

NSW, Australia

shonky12 wrote:
can i use a ed aircon pump and change the pulley and how do i clear the ef tensioner using log manifold i will buy a xh tensioner if i have to and ill confirm what i need to use for a single belt conversion using log manifold.

EF/EL/AU Harmonic Balancer

EF/EL/AU Water Pump

EF/EL/AU Power Steer Pump

EF/EL/AU alternator

EF/EL Aircon compressor

XH Ute Belt/Tensioner

EF/EL Radiator

EL Thermo Fans

also if a cars only insured for to to $4000 does accident damage only cover that amount worth of damage because what happens if you have a accident and the cars only insured for 4000 and the other car and property damage is more than 4000 does it sill cover it

i dont think changing the pulley on the ed pump will make much difference because the pump will still sit 1/2 inch 2 far back .its the aircon pump/ bracket that needs to be changed or modified not the pulley.

and its not the tensioner that causes the problem with the log manifold its because the ef aircon pump also sits higher on the engine and will not bolt on because the throttle body gets in the way..

Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

'Shonky" going by your threads, you wanna buy an ED and replace heaps of wiring & bits 'n pieces with an EF/EL/AU and it doesnt seem like you have any idea and will be more trouble than its worth..... just go buy an EF in the first place !!

And you dont even have a car yet, all the tech q's??

Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:30 am 

NSW, Australia

thats what ive being saying.
thats alot of work for a car he doesnt even have yet!

Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

so mounting an eb aircon pump to fit on an au motor with the log manifold you need the Xh brackets???

from my understanding if i get an au motor i can use the eb water pump, alternator, power steer pump can be bolted upto an AU motor from a EB preserpintime belt.....

are the EA to EL Air con compressor interchangable?

i don't really give a s**t with the air con as i don't have it connected (no belt) BUt with an au motor you f**k need a

no no no hang on a moment you can buy belts that are shorter as some au's never came out with an air con system

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next