Fordmods Logo

small backfire while attempting to start; now stuffed. 

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: small backfire while attempting to start; now stuffed.
Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:13 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Falcon GLI

WA, Australia

I have just had a new gas converter fitted to my EF2 GLI tickford gas falcon. IT was runnin' bewdiful until it decided to backfire while I was trying to start it.

No harm done, I thought. But now while idling on gas it either stays at 1500rpm or it decides to bounce between 500 and 1500 rpm. Think the converter might be the problem?

That's what I thought too, until I switched it to shell premium unleaded, on which it decided to splutter and carry on blowing black smoke and sounding close to a V8.

Prior to the little incident (minor backfire) it was running fine on both fuels. I'm not sure what happened, but it's really running terrible and I wouldn't mind if you guys could give me an idea of what it could be. :roll:

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Who put the converter on? Get them to fix it, sounds like they stuffed something up.

1993 ED XR6 5speed Polynesian Green. Project car.

1998 EL XR8 Auto Hot Chilli Red. New daily and project

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:15 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: 03 BA Fairmont

WA, Australia

i wouldn't mind betting your inlet ducting is probably blown apart somewhere along the way, probably the section above the rocker cover before it attaches to the mixer

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:17 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EFII Sedan

QLD, Australia

I would put money on saying that the vacuum line to the MAP sensor has simply blown off. Happens to me every time mine backfires - causes the extra RPM on gas, and the spluttering on petrol. Check it :)

EF II Sedan
Ex Chaser, Dual Fuel (Impco LPG)
LSD High, 3.23, Black wheels, other shiny bits.

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 Au wagon

NSW, Australia

yeah i'd be checking the hose for the map sensor

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Soarer 2.5GT-T

VIC, Australia

EBGizmo wrote:
I would put money on saying that the vacuum line to the MAP sensor has simply blown off. Happens to me every time mine backfires - causes the extra RPM on gas, and the spluttering on petrol. Check it :)

Yep, that is exactly what happens to me. This should be your first point of call.
On the top of your rocker cover towards the front there's a little thing that looks like a tap sticking out. there should be a black hose attached to it, but it sounds like yours will be just sitting there unattached. connect this and you should be all good.
Pays to check the simple stuff first.

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

VIC, Australia

Did you open the throttle when trying to start? If so that's a bad move!
The Lambda setups like mine have a TPS function, if you press the throttle it won't start for that reason.

Another thing that's a must have is a steel PCV valve, from factory they run plastic and they can explode with a back fire, the metal guts drops out and down into the timing gear causing major damage... I have heard of a few this has happened to.

I had a guy with an EF call me once to check his car out, the thing had back fired and a chunk of the air intake broke off and got sucked into the throttle body causing it to stick open.

As the guys said above, check the MAP vacuum and any other hose you can see coming off the intake manifold.

Post subject: How was I meant to know?
Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Thanx heaps guys; you were right. I checked under the bonnet and searched for a while before I noticed what I think is the MAP sensor against the firewall which did have a vacuum hose missing. Problem is solved and now I can cancel my appointment tomorrow morning with Range Ford! Awesome stuff!

Post subject: Re: How was I meant to know?
Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

spvd02 wrote:
Thanx heaps guys; you were right. I checked under the bonnet and searched for a while before I noticed what I think is the MAP sensor against the firewall which did have a vacuum hose missing. Problem is solved and now I can cancel my appointment tomorrow morning with Range Ford! Awesome stuff!
I am too late but the Map Sensor vacuum line would have been my response..... Anyway the Tickford LPG setup has a lot of inbuilt responses to TPS and RPM designed to reduce or eliminate backfire. In fact I have never had a backfire unless it is during a start where I release the key before it fires. I would suggest you look at plugs and replace the leads to stop it happening again.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:57 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EFII Sedan

QLD, Australia

Ew! You were going to go to a Ford dealership to get a Ford looked at? From my experience, and what i've heard here, you'd be better off letting an escaped mental patient cram potatos in your throttle body as apposed to taking it to Fraud!

They seem to know the least about their own cars.

ps. Damn. I shoulda put money on it :P

EF II Sedan
Ex Chaser, Dual Fuel (Impco LPG)
LSD High, 3.23, Black wheels, other shiny bits.

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Post subject: Fraud?
Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:09 am 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

WA Ford Dealerships aren't so bad. I think over East is where they have problems.

Anywayz, getting back to the cause of the backfire I experienced, my car takes ages to start on gas. The backfire would've occurred because I let go too quickly.

Is there any way to adjust how long it runs for on petrol before it automatically switches over to gas?

Remember this is the tickford dual fuel setup in an EF.[/quote]

Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU Fairlane 5.0, KE Laser, 01 Kw

VIC, Australia

Is it a Poliauto convertor? They're known as Vialle now.

Would have set you back a small fortune if it is, i priced one 8 years ago and they were $500... I threw on a new BRC for under $200 new and she ran spot on.

Poli are known for playing up and being unreliable, i'd be going back to them and let them sort it out.

Post subject: yep
Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:38 am 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

It is a Vialle Converter type D, which it came out of the factory with. Are you saying you stuck a different converter on and it worked fine with the Tickford setup? Or did you have to change more stuff?

Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

Vialle convertor should set you back around $380 new (except if you go to ford). Shop around for the best price.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Post subject: already got 1
Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:27 am 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

I already have a new (reconditioned) converter. It cost me $450. I'm just wondering if it's possible to adjust how long she runs on petrol before switching over to gas. I think this may be why I'm having trouble starting on gas.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next