Fordmods Logo

Smartlock/BEM Problems 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Smartlock/BEM Problems
Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 5spd EF

Ok.. So it's an EF gli 95 Manual, When i turn the car onto acc the stereo, window wipers, cig lighter, a/c works, but when i start the car they all shut down and won't work.'I'm sure there are more things' Oh and sometimes they work when the car is running...

I've tried jumper leads, 'thinking the battery was on it's way out'
Pulling the stereo out
Checked fuses, but it's not a fuse problem

The smart lock button still flashes normally and locks fine, but i was told by a mate it's the smart lock and will take the better half of a day to source where it's shorting out? apparently a common problem?

Sorry search doesn't work, and I've never had/read up on this problem...

ANY help will be greatly appreciated!!

Post subject: Re: Smartlock/BEM Problems
Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Bump..

Really can't afford to be taking it to an auto electrician. + already been tp 2 and they won't tell me the problem but are happy to tell me they can fix it. :evil:

Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

Try swapping the ignition barrel. I reckon its not giving current down the acc line when in the on position. If you just turn it to on without starting the car, do they work?

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

dan1_721 wrote:
Try swapping the ignition barrel. I reckon its not giving current down the acc line when in the on position. If you just turn it to on without starting the car, do they work?

Yes, everything works fine when the engine is off, soon as i start the engine the stereo, window wipers, cig lighter, aircon stops working...SOMETIMES(9 times out of 10)... Driving lights, dash work fine.

I've been out there everyday trying to figure this one out, I started hitting all my dash (Sometimes have to hit the BEM to start the car) and everything came on!! then i shut down the car and no luck again...

It's not fuses, if there was a short wouldn't it never work? same with a broken BEM? and I've heard it takes about 30-60min to re-program a BEM with a LOT of headaches

It's got me stumped! I don't know what to check anymore.

HHEELPP :oops:

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:54 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

It sounds like it is time to buy the plastic and wire thing that comes out of your ignition barrel.They frequently melt the solder connection and or the plastic itself melts leading to poor contacts.Which means accessories work occassionally,You can use a test light to see if you are getting power at the back of your ignition switch.Wth the key off you will have 1 power feed,in the accessories pos 2 feeds/ ign on 3 feeds ,cranking 3 because accessories drops out and when the car is running 3 feeds .ok More questions ?Just ask.Kevman

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Thank you so much dan1_721 and kevman!!!

I ended up buying an ignition barrel from Frawd for $90 and I'm getting it replaced by an auto electrician for a further $90 ... I'm not too comfortable messing around with a $90 part that's hard to come by

Thank you again!!

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

Let us know how it goes. Shouldn't really have anything to do with the BEM.

BTW the BEM can be swapped with the correct model, all you have to do is leave the key in the "on" position for an hour from memory and it should all start to work unless there is a problem. Worked fine in my old EF Gli.

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Sometimes the back of the ignition switch comes loose. The crimping of the switch into the barrel assembly can be a little lacking in the hanging on department. You could try recrimping it? :|

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

I just got back from the auto electrician, He is changing the whole unit itself, minus the barrel... He said that part costs $300 for a new one and $90+ for a second hand one, so well see how that goes, seems so expensive. I might phone around

Thanks for the info Dan! that helps my brother and I out :D

I'll head out there now and check again if anything is loose cjh! Thanks for the help!

Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SLY40L wrote:
I just got back from the auto electrician, He is changing the whole unit itself, minus the barrel... He said that part costs $300 for a new one and $90+ for a second hand one, so well see how that goes, seems so expensive. I might phone around

Thanks for the info Dan! that helps my brother and I out :D

I'll head out there now and check again if anything is loose cjh! Thanks for the help!

Well i had another look and bash around :lol: and I found it!! You were right It was the black back! I'm trying to figure out a way to get it to sit back in there, it would need some force...

Any ideas?

woops pressed quote instead of edit.

Attachments:
Image469.jpg
Image469.jpg [ 390.65 KiB | Viewed 99 times ]

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]