Fordmods Logo

Smoking Engine During Long Trips 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Smoking Engine During Long Trips
Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:17 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 2002 AUII Fairlane Sportsman V8

SA, Australia

When i do Melbourne to Adelaide trips i have a smoking engine when i stop to eat/fuel etc.

The burning smoke is coming from the rear top of the engine.

If i jack up the car there is no oil leaks etc near the bell housing & i am not losing any oil anywhere else except from the front main seal (which i will be replacing very soon).

I also have an oil leak from the drivers side middle of the engine however i havent been able to locate its source as of yet. The proof is only when i reverse out of the driveway i can see oil stains on the pavement which match that location.

I can't think of any item that will cause an oil leak from the front drivers side.

It is oil & NOT power steering fluid.

Im stumped :shock:

Post subject: Re: Smoking Engine During Long Trips
Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

rocker cover?

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:09 pm 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

Yes i am thinking that too but the rocker cover doesn't explain the oil leaks on the floor.

It possibly can explain the smoke during long trips though.

I have got some Liqui-Molly engine flush.

Once i fix the front main seal i will flush the engine oil, add new engine oil along with oil filter & see how it all goes.

But drivers side oil leak from approx middle of the engine has still got me stumped. No evidence of oil leak under the engine either.

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

SA, Australia

Oil leaks can be really decieving - oil can travel along stuff on the motor, be pushed back by airflow at speed thru the engine bay etc. If it's then going onto the exhaust well there's your smoke..probably best advice would be to steam clean the motor, then go over it with rags etc and get it really clean, and go for a drive and check it out....I've had a similar maddening leak for a while, just found it..I was getting oil around the oil sender on the top back of the engine (clevo) which you'd kind of assume was, duh, the oil sender...2 oil senders and half a roll of teflon tape later I realised it was actually back of the intake manifold had a minor leak that was running down the back of the block and slowly filling the depression where the oil sender is....

351 4V XB Coupe running LPG

Posted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:44 pm 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

So it could still be the original problem in respects to the oil leak on the floor.

Front main seal leaking oil onto engine which is being pushed back into the middle somewhere & then when it finds a suitable grove or something is where it decides to drip from onto my pavement.

Sounds good. Engine steam clean has been well thought of but i need to get some ramps, a jack & my wet suite or something because its a pain in the a** if you ask me.

My car sits low & i aint know skinny bloke who can just slide in underneath. These things need alot of planning LOL.

I still can NOT work out the burning smoke though.

The burning smoke comes from the rear of the engine near/around the rocker cover, but there are definitely no leaks on the bell housing etc. So maybe a little bit of oil from the rocker cover gasket where the slight hump is (i have a VCT) so there's those humps on the rocker cover, 1 big one on the front & a smaller one on the rear.

Might need a new rocker cover gasket too i think :(

Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Shen Long wrote:
So it could still be the original problem in respects to the oil leak on the floor.

Front main seal leaking oil onto engine which is being pushed back into the middle somewhere & then when it finds a suitable grove or something is where it decides to drip from onto my pavement.

Sounds good. Engine steam clean has been well thought of but i need to get some ramps, a jack & my wet suite or something because its a pain in the a** if you ask me.

My car sits low & i aint know skinny bloke who can just slide in underneath. These things need alot of planning LOL.

I still can NOT work out the burning smoke though.

The burning smoke comes from the rear of the engine near/around the rocker cover, but there are definitely no leaks on the bell housing etc. So maybe a little bit of oil from the rocker cover gasket where the slight hump is (i have a VCT) so there's those humps on the rocker cover, 1 big one on the front & a smaller one on the rear.

Might need a new rocker cover gasket too i think :(

If that oil is getting on the exhaust, there's your smoke. When you steam clean it take it for a drive then get all CSI on it...have a real good look where the oil's going, it can be pretty hard to see, hence the need for cleanliness...mate of mine years ago not only cleaned his motor, he put talcum powder all over the block! We stirred him over it but I have to admit it DID show up the leak that he couldn't pinpoint before...

Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:08 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

also check for power steering fluid leaks, a leaky power steering pressure switch or leaky hose can find its way onto your exhaust causing smoke???

Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
also check for power steering fluid leaks, a leaky power steering pressure switch or leaky hose can find its way onto your exhaust causing smoke???

Yes, Troyman, true - and you reminded me of the other thing I was going to suggest - does this car have an auto trans dipstick? Maybe if trans is a bit overfull, on long trips you are getting fluid coming out the dipstick tube and hitting exhaust??

Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:47 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

tearlejc wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:

Yes, Troyman, true - and you reminded me of the other thing I was going to suggest - does this car have an auto trans dipstick? Maybe if trans is a bit overfull, on long trips you are getting fluid coming out the dipstick tube and hitting exhaust??

I assume OP has an AU, they don't have a dipstick for the transmission as far as I know.

+1 to rocker cover. It can leak from the back of the rocker cover and find it's way onto the k-frame and travel anywhere along the K-frame. A new rocker cover gasket (no more than $40) might fix the problem.

If you want to double check, you can always pull the rocker cover off and run your finger along the back of the head and see if there is fresh oil.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:08 pm 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

The burning oil/smoke is not coming from the actual exhaust.

Its more or less looks like it is coming from inside the engine but only from the rear top section near the firewall.

Also AU's don't have dipsticks or if they do then i'll be stoked LOL & on the same note my auto was serviced not too long ago & the oil level is fine. I changed the trans filter & also used some premium type transmission fluid that exceeds BTR95LE.

http://www.lsaoils.com.au/lsa-products/ ... gory_id=13

I Do have a JMM 2800RPM Hi-Stall converter but i also added an aftermarket cooler along with running it through the original radiator cooler as well. The only reason i mention this is because maybe the Hi-Stall is adding extra heat to the engine???

Attachment:
Trans Cooler 2.JPG
Trans Cooler 2.JPG [ 22.84 KiB | Viewed 112 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: This is the transmission cooler i purchased & added running along side with the factory auto radiator cooler.
Trans Cooler 1.JPG
Trans Cooler 1.JPG [ 24.87 KiB | Viewed 121 times ]

Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

yeah, but I'm not talking about smoke coming FROM the exhaust, but rather oil dripping onto the hot manifold or pipe and vapourising inside the engine bay...

Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:03 pm 

NSW, Australia

Shen Long wrote:
The burning oil/smoke is not coming from the actual exhaust.

Its more or less looks like it is coming from inside the engine but only from the rear top section near the firewall.

is your rear rocker cover breather connected? thats the only thing thats near where you describe

Posted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:01 pm 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

i will recheck it but i am 99% sure that the breather hose to the throttle body piping is connected.

Funny thing is that this motor & my previous motor is doing the same thing.

I don't want a repeat of what happened to my previous motor either where the 6cyl inlet valve had seized or burnt out.

Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:28 pm 
Tyre Shredder

SA, Australia

OK, so i have rechecked the rear breather for the rocker cover which goes into the throttle body intake pipe.

Its all connected but when i start the car & remove the pipe from the rocker cover & put my finger over the hole its as if there is not suction coming from the pipe.

I removed the hose to see if its blocked but its fine. I stuck a screwdriver into the little nozze on the intake piping where the hose connects to & thats fine as well.

Should there be any vacuum via that small pipe that connects to the back of the rocker cover?

Posted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:48 pm 

NSW, Australia

no there is no vacuum on that hose, its just a breather

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next