Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: snort turbokit installed $$$
Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

hey everybody, didn't no whether to put this in the 6cyl or driveline forums. so mods feel free to move it if you like
just wondering how much it SHOULD cost to get a snort stage2 turbo installed...
before you ask, i have called a few places that have dealt with snort and prices have ranged between 4-7k.. i have even had a guy tell me its a extra $500 for a ef because he needs to replace the intake manifold with a el one??? i hear snort kits are fairly easy to install so why so much???

2) i would do it my self but i no how much of a mofo the front bar is to take off and put back on and in this point of time i really cant be bothered or have the time to do it..

3) does the snort stage 2 come with everything needed for the install, or would it work perfectly with what i get??
would i need to buy anything else excluding chip, injectors etc

4) and last of all with the stage 2 is it worth getting the with liquid/air intercooler or is the regular fine??? most people i have asked told me unless i have more mods planned the liquid/air intercooler isnt necessary..

thanks for any help cheers

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:42 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

i dont know why you would change the manifold from ef to el as they are pretty much the same thing...
in some cases people use the ea,eb,ed log manifolds on turbo set ups ....

Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

neither do i, ive been told from 2 people who pretty much no their s**t when it comes to turbos and theyv told me el/au is the way to go..

anyone no the answers to the questions iv asked???

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:05 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EBII

VIC, Australia

1) You could probably get a place to install the kit for say $1000 or maybe less provided you supply all parts for them. Just do a ring around. CVE know a bit about the Falcons and turbos.
2) The front bar is not a hard job. It'd be 4 bolts or thereabouts holding it onto the chassis and I believe the EF/ELs require less cutting of the plastics to get a cooler to fit than EA-ED/
3) The Snort kit doesn't come with a bigger exhaust. You'd want to get yourself a 3 inch for maximum flow.
4) The liquid/air is good if you dont want a big intercooler hanging off the front of the car because the liquid/air sits inside the engine bay and cannot be spotted without opening the bonnet. It is apparently more effective in lower intake temperatures too.

Remember also that you'll only be able to run up to 9psi or so on the factory ECU

Brand New Distributor: $50 + other stuffs
forums/viewtopic.php?t=73696&highlight=ebii
... "And the mountains shall drop sweet wine and the hills shall melt"...

Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

thanks guys, i cant justify the extra $500 for the liquid air intercooler.

at the moment i have a 2.5 redback exhaust which will eventually be replaced by a 3inch after i get the turbo kit going.

im only aiming for about 200rwkw and hopefully less the 9psi, so will i need to replace the fuel pump?? any internals?
gear box is a btr with a cooler and shiftkit

96 EF FAIRMONT
232rwkw@4psi

Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

FYI - the most appropriate forum would've been the Forced Induction/Turbo forum :P

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:15 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EBII

VIC, Australia

Yeah replace the fuel pump with a higher flow one too. Make sure you post photos too aye!

Brand New Distributor: $50 + other stuffs
forums/viewtopic.php?t=73696&highlight=ebii
... "And the mountains shall drop sweet wine and the hills shall melt"...

Posted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Waggin wrote:
FYI - the most appropriate forum would've been the Forced Induction/Turbo forum :P

cheers mate...
:D

im going to give a few calls tomorrow, if i cant find a place to install it for a decent price i do it myself.

i will take many pics, but it will be a long process, i still have a year and 3 months left till i can drive again, so im not in to much of a hurry.

96 EF FAIRMONT
232rwkw@4psi

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]