Fordmods Logo

Some AU Motor Questions 

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Some AU Motor Questions
Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: NF Fairlane Ghia

ive been doing some research and some thinking and im starting to go down the path of a AU motor in my NF as its mostly bolt and connect up i just need a new alternator ive been told as they bolt up different but connect the same

is this true ?
is there anything else i have to change ? besides the slight sump modification i would have to pay someone to do as dad doesn't have the gear to weld alloy he said

i like the idea of the eaz of bolting up and the original like appearance under the bonnet
im thinking of going non VCT XR6 then getting some mild head work done and getting a decent cam

were would i go about getting head work done (im guessing CMS ?)
were would i get the cam (ill prob just go around the area of needing new springs for the head)

i would be rebuilding the AU motor before putting it in naturally ive been told the AU bottom end is stronger than the EF EL etc would i be needing or would it be recommended to strengthen the bottom end or anything else with this sorta work ?

if i ever decided to turbo it what sorta work should i do to the AU motor while i have it out and in pieces so it doesnt well blow up from the boost ?

thanks for replys in advance :)

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Post subject: Re: Some AU Motor Questions
Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:52 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Q) i just need a new alternator ive been told as they bolt up different but connect the same,is this true ?
A) Yes that is true, for the AU I alternator you will need to change the plug, AU II/III, the plug is the same.

Q) is there anything else i have to change ?
A) Yes, you will need to mod the AC mounts, use the EF/EL spacers and cut them down. Also you will need to tap the block to take the EF Knock sensor, some say you can use the AU knock sensor by changing the plug. You will also need to Mod the Cam sensor clamp to suit as the AU retaining bolt is on the opposite side to the EF, you can use the clamp unmodded but the sensor will be around by about 90deg but the plug will stretch to fit. Change the Thermostate housing to an EF/EL housing as the EF/EL temp sensor is mounted there, the AU is in the back of the head, you can use the AU sensor if you extend the wires. I like to change the head to EF/EL (not EL Hybrid), personal choice. Use the EF/EL BBM as the AU one is different with some of the plugs. Use an EF of AU I coil pack as the AU II/III have a different plug.

Q) besides the slight sump modification i would have to pay someone to do as dad doesn't have the gear to weld alloy he said.
A) Contact Dazzle on here, he may be able to help you out with the sump mod for a price.

Q) im thinking of going non VCT XR6 then getting some mild head work done and getting a decent cam.
A) Use non VCT as it is simpler. Personally I would get a standard motor not a XR as you are saying you want to do headwork, Cheaper option and if you do head work the XR Head becomes no different to the Standard head as a base for the work.

Q) were would i go about getting head work done (im guessing CMS ?)
were would i get the cam (ill prob just go around the area of needing new springs for the head)
A) Contact Joe at CMS and he will see you right. Explain to him what you want to achieve and he will recommend what you need to do.

Q) i would be rebuilding the AU motor before putting it in naturally ive been told the AU bottom end is stronger than the EF EL etc would i be needing or would it be recommended to strengthen the bottom end or anything else with this sorta work ?
A) If you get a low Km motor there will be no need for a rebuild, but it is your choice. No real need to try and strengthen the bottom end, while you have the sump off for modding just check the bottom end and while the head is off, check the bore etc, I did a low Km motor (100K Km) and it still had the crosshatching from the factory like new.

Q) if i ever decided to turbo it what sorta work should i do to the AU motor while i have it out and in pieces so it doesnt well blow up from the boost ?
A) You should be OK with the stock bottom end/stock pistons. People on here are getting in excess of 230RwKw + on stock engines, so unless you are going over the top you will be fine.

Do a search on Google for AU engine into EF/EL Fordmods and you will find a few threads to help you out.

ford-4l-and-6-cylinder-f1/just-starting-au-in-ef-conversion-t81875.html?hilit=au%20motor%20conversion

forums/viewtopic.php?t=40806

ford-4l-and-6-cylinder-f1/au-sump-mod-for-e-series-t79648.html

Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

thanks mate

a series I AU motor with a series II alternator sounds like the go then :)

is the EF loom the same as the AU loom ?

im guessing i need a AU series I ECU

should i get the AU motor balanced ?

say i went to say a max of 300KW would the AU bottom end and the rods piston etc still be ok ?
would i also need to toughen up the auto gearbox ?

NF Fairlane Ghia, Brand New Leather Interior, Wallnut All Through, 800W RMS JL Audio Sound System, Lowered King Springs And Monroe GT Shocks, Custom BA/GT Air Intake, Holley Highflow, Simmons B45's, Going To Be Supercharged At 9-12psi With Stage 4 Head And Cam With Pacemakers And 3" Exhaust

Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

you keep the e series computer and loom, and depends how good the tune is for how much you can push the motor, and for how long, the rods are weaker in the au than the e series engine,

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

IMO you wont get 300rwkw out of a stock AU bottom end but you can in an earlier motor if its in good condition.

I'm on 282rwkw with my AU motor and need to take some compression out before going any further but the rods are s**t so Im going to do rods and pistons before going back for a retune.

This is what approx 300rwkw and stock compression does to an AU rod.

Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:22 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Fordsrule174 wrote:
thanks mate

a series I AU motor with a series II alternator sounds like the go then :)

is the EF loom the same as the AU loom ?

im guessing i need a AU series I ECU

should i get the AU motor balanced ?

say i went to say a max of 300KW would the AU bottom end and the rods piston etc still be ok ?
would i also need to toughen up the auto gearbox ?

Yes better to use an AUII/III alternator as they are the same through to BA etc and easier to source if you need at replacement.

Use the EF loom with the EF accesories and ECU, no need to replace with AU ecu and also series II onward was smartshield not smartlock.

AU motors are pretty smooth as they are, so balancing is up to you, but doubt you would need too.

If you want to push 300RwKw you will want to beef up your rods. I know Troyman is at 267 RwKw at 12 psi and he is on a stock bottom end. Dan's went at 270 plus, so that might be the limit. Have heard of AU motors going 300 with a stock bottom end but not sure how long they will last. If you are pulling the block down, fit some decent rods as well as upgrading the pistons, just make for insurance at a latter date.

Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ill prob beef up the rods then better off safe then sorry

what about the gearbox ?
should it be beefed up ?

Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:02 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: AU XR6

NSW, Australia

yeh mate, it will also need beefing up to handle the power increase + a large transmission cooler.

Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

so would just getting a AU motor with its matching AU Gearbox And Then Working On Them Be The Easiest Way Or Will The AU Gearbox Not Fit ?

Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

Well the manual gear box is different in au's so if your going manual you need ea-el manual

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

im staying auto as thats all im legally allowed to drive due to i took my test in the NF and its a auto i can drive a manual and rather well but its a matter or legality i half wanted to take my test in the only manual car we have thats not a V8 (the little hyundai) but i seriously utterly hate it and its also the worst car ive ever driven

and the idea is, is that i will do up the au motor with the head and cams and new rods etc just not turbo and use it while under my P's then to put a turbo on after ive got my full license

Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

What happened to the 400hp V8 that was supposedly being built?

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

mate never said it was 100% certain and neither is this
im still looking into all ideas mate

Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:12 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Fordsrule174 wrote:
so would just getting a AU motor with its matching AU Gearbox And Then Working On Them Be The Easiest Way Or Will The AU Gearbox Not Fit ?

AU auto will fit but it won't like 300RwKw. Going to cost some $ to beef up an E series/AU (BTR) auto to take that for any length of time.

Posted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SWC wrote:
Fordsrule174 wrote:

AU auto will fit but it won't like 300RwKw. Going to cost some $ to beef up an E series/AU (BTR) auto to take that for any length of time.

what would be the safe level of power you think the gearbox could handle ?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next