Fordmods Logo

Spark plug diagnosis..... to cold/rich? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Spark plug diagnosis..... to cold/rich?
Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

Hi all,

My new EL was running rough at idle and I wanted to see what the plugs looked like to get an idea of where the engine is at..

Plugs were NGK BPR5EY jobs and they were covered in black powder soot... number 4 was so bad it had chunks of carbon stuck to it.

Swapped them for the plugs in one of my other EL motors (nearly new Boosch's) and it runs like a dream again.

Car is a late 97 EL and dual fuel..... There is no oil deposits on the plugs or in the exhaust and the car blows no oil smoke at all so the black is soot not burnt oil.

Are these NGK plugs to cold for an EL on GAS?

thoughts much appreciated folks. After some googling here, I'm considering getting some 985 Autolites.. but open to any suggestions.

rgds

Frank

Post subject: Re: Spark plug diagnosis..... to cold/rich?
Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

oh well, I guess I'll just watch the new plugs in the coming week and see what happens to them.

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:19 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Fairlane Concorde 4.0

NSW, Australia

Just posted a similar question on the LPG forum. My car was running badly on gas this morning and also wondering if plugs are to blame. The plugs I removed were NGK BPR6EY-11 but I was sold BPR5EY-11 and gapped them at 0.9mm. Noticed mine was a bit rough this morning even on petrol.

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:25 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Hey frankieh. After a bit of searching thru the forums, it turns out we have the wrong plugs for our dual fuel cars. Should have the BPR6EY-11 gapped to 0.8-0.9mm. The plugs fitted too both our cars are for standard petrol only EF/NF I6. I'm going to put the BPR6EY-11 back in tomorrow and see how it runs.

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Cool.. let me know..

Does having the coilpacked NF (as you have) make any difference from a dizzy/single coil EL?

rgds

Frank

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:58 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Sorry, Just noticed your running an ED engine with EL ecu and XR6 cam.

According to NGK Australia, ED Falcon engine with XR6 running gear should use a ZGR6B-11 plug.
I know you have an EL ecu but that will have nothing to do with it. If its an ED engine with XR6 cam, I'd probably go with NGK's recommendation (and its a hotter plug, better for lpg).

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: f6 rspec

NSW, Australia

run the zgr6b-11's, should always go one heat range lower then recommended on lpg, and the tickford plugs (NGK zgr6b-11) are the best ones for u.

Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:39 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU VCT,68 LANE,84 COURIER,

QLD, Australia

seconds that

YOU CAN LIVE IN A CAR BUT YOU CANT DRIVE A HOUSE

Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

OK... but the car in question is an EL fairmont ghia.. not the EA with the ED XR engine....

it's an 97 EL with a lumpy cam of unknown origin.. but much lumpier than an XR Cam.. also has mandrel tri y extractors and a big pipe and cat.. And tickford ECU.

does that change the recommendation any?

rgds

Frank

Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

edit - I had put a comment here in line with my experience and understanding of plugs - ie. along the lines of needing the hottest that doesn't actually lose performance, but the improvement in idle with a colder plug that you guys are seeing has me stumped. Maybe the lean burn business that EF / EL do works against hotter plugs at idle?? (headscratch). I've just bought an EF and will be putting my JMM cam into it and tuning etc. sometime in the next couple of weeks so I guess I'll learn all about it... At this stage in stock condition (it's fuel only not dual fuel) it has quite a nasty rumble at idle in gear when up to temp. Haven't even looked at the plugs yet.

For the record - before I put the JMM cam into my engine I had an ED XR6 cam running about 4 degrees advanced. With headers, 2.5 system and cold air intake etc. but before I messed with the cam, I found the std spec BPR5EY-11 plugs ran MUCH better then when I put ZGR6B-11's in it - I mean A LOT BETTER!!. That also held true when I put the EDXR6 cam in (and I was by that time running ED XR6 ECU) - BUT when I put the JMM cam in I discovered ZGR6B-11's made it run better. I initially put the Autolite plugs JMM recommends in when I fitted their cam - at that time I did also try it with BPR5EY-11's and found the car was indeed happier with the Autolites - then after a few months I had one of the Autolites fail and because I was in remote area and didn't want to wait days for a replacement plug I fitted ZGR6B-11's and found the engine to be just as happy as with the Autolites. That's with reasonably normal driving plus a bit of fanging - so to be honest I can't really comment on whether the ZGR6b-11's were as good at high revs / max power as the Autolites as I never had it in that range often and for long enough to tell.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]