Fordmods Logo

Spark plugs 

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

unclewoja wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
LPG cars run a cooler plug.
just get one heat range cooler the factory petrol plug and you should be pretty spot on.

out of interest i runn very cold plugs on my XR6 (straight petrol)
the denso number is W20exu 11 the recommened is W16exu11
so mine are 2 heat ranges cooler and i've found my plugs are lasting longer and the car no longer pings under load at high RPM in 3rd gear.

Read this link http://www.circletrack.com/techarticles/40118/ and that will tell you why you're getting less detonation.

Given that a colder plug results in a slightly richer exhaust gas, your EGO sensor will be going nuts.

it was a good link. But given my line of work (I modify cars for living), it wasn't by chance that i used a cooler plug. If you know how to 'read' a plug it can tell you alot about your engine, it can also tell you if you're using the right plugs.
As you modify your engine the the plug needs to be changed as well.

on the EGO sensor part, at full throttle the EGO sensor is ignored by the ECU. and fixed fuel and spark maps are used.

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ED Falcon

SA, Australia

Hey Nicco, Been running the bosch 4 electrode plugs in my ED 6 for 3 years approx 20,000 KMs and hasn't missed a beat, wouldn't know what the comparison is with normal plugs. Feels pretty good on acceleration tho. :D

I post here cos the russian tank driver doesn't

Posted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF Falcon

QLD, Australia

Thanks. Out of interest, i know money is the final marker, but what would be a good plug for better performance, without going mental cost wise?

Nicco's M112 Blown, T-56 equipped EF
forums/viewtopic.php?t=68319

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:33 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: AU I XR6 VCT

NSW, Australia

iridium plugs are among the best you can get at the moment. Not sure what they are like on gas, never seen them running in a gas engine. As for the cost, do the maths. If you spend $20 a set on std plugs it is going to cost you around $60. Whereas, You can buy genuine iridium plugs for around 26-$28 each so there is a bit of a price difference there. Really it is 6 one half dozen the other when talking about performance from a plug point of view as there is going to be marginal difference in power output between different plugs, remembering of course that you must have the right heat range or you are going to have issues with power.

drive it like it was built to be driven

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

What would be the best* plugs to get for my fbt; coming up on 100,000 now i wish to replace them, i dont care if they last only 50,000kms instead of 100, i just want best performance out of them for now.
Any ideas/opinions?

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:56 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

well most would argue that you cant go past manufacturers spec genuine parts when selecting new parts. You arent going to gain any amount of power worth bragging about by using different brands of plugs. Just make sure you have the right heat range for the engine and i am sure genuine spec will perform best. After all, they are paying guys good money to do the research and find out what works best when they design these things

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

andwoo83 wrote:
well most would argue that you cant go past manufacturers spec genuine parts when selecting new parts. You arent going to gain any amount of power worth bragging about by using different brands of plugs. Just make sure you have the right heat range for the engine and i am sure genuine spec will perform best. After all, they are paying guys good money to do the research and find out what works best when they design these things

Are these motorcraft jobbies ford are using; im guessing so as all there stuff seems to be..
Where can i get them from, other than ford obviously.

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Ford spare parts can get...

At work today (first day too) I looked up the NGK Iridiums, there around $22.00 each (retail price), which is a very good price in my opinion (the price I get is far better but anyways), considering that they are one of the best plugs around and they are designed to last 100,000km. Only problem is we don't stock them so I'll order them in on Monday and let yas know once there in how they go on L.P.G..

Daniel, according to the spark plug manufactures, Platnum and Iridium are the beast spark plugs for improved performance. Iridium is ment to be better than Platnum and as far as I know NGK are the main manufacturer of Iridium plugs aty the moment. Personally I prefer NGK plugs, dunno why just do.
The part number for the NGKs for the NL V8 Fairlanes (presume FBT is the same? might wanna check or something) are:
Quote:
Recommended Plug BPR5FS-15 1.4
Iridium Option UR55IX 1.4
[/quote]

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
it was a good link. But given my line of work (I modify cars for living), it wasn't by chance that i used a cooler plug. If you know how to 'read' a plug it can tell you alot about your engine, it can also tell you if you're using the right plugs.

on the EGO sensor part, at full throttle the EGO sensor is ignored by the ECU. and fixed fuel and spark maps are used.

Ahh. I didn't realise that you knew all about plugs and engines and the like. I meant no disrespect...

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:28 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

i asked our parts man today what the iridium plugs are like in the gas engine and he said they dont perform overly great. Dont hold me to this cos i am only going on what he said. Be interesting to know what they are like tho

Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

unclewoja wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:

Ahh. I didn't realise that you knew all about plugs and engines and the like. I meant no disrespect...

it all cool.
you didn't offend me

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2