Spark Plugs 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Spark Plugs
Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:32 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: Ford Falcon XG

VIC, Australia

Hey guys,

Im taking off up the east coast for a few weeks and am trying to get the ute ready for the big trip.im changing plugs and leads and adjusted belts. is there anything else worth checking before i set off? besides coolant ect

Also just after some advise on the best plugs to buy, car is duel fuel? i know its been covered before, people have spoken about plugs being gapped to .8mm for lpg.does this sound right?

Feedback would be great.

Dan

Post subject: Re: Spark Plugs
Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:39 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

I would check tyres and make sure spare is ok, check brake pads and even rotor thickness adjust and or re pack front wheel bearings better to be safe then sorry.

You should also get under car and check for any leaks

Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

I have had good results with Autolite 985 plugs. They have a projected tip, so in theory should get more complete combustion. The Dodge Viper V10 uses them, so they can't be all bad. Don't know about ideal gaps for LPG.

Champion 8mm steel core leads are very low impedance - as low as you can go without radio interference, apparently. They are designed for LPG, but they are used a lot in performance petrol applications. They come with a 3-year guarantee, too. I have heard that JMM use them.

Have a good trip.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 98 NL, 97NL, 98EL

Power: 141 rwkw

QLD, Australia

make sure there is soapy water in windscreen washer!!!! and carry one of those big water boxes you get from Big W the 15ltr one, just incase, oh and jumper leads and a tow-rope.

thats the kind stuff I take with me on a long interstate trip .. Oh and some tools!!

Laticia.

BANNED!!!!

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

When was the last time you changed your diff oil???...brake fluid???....done a cooling system pressure test???......any oil leaks???........have a good trip.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:19 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: Ford Falcon XG

VIC, Australia

yer i changed the diff oil a month or two ago so should be right. i picked up a set of 8mm Eagle leads after a few people on here spoke well of them, just gotta pick some plugs up this arvo. i might look into some Autolite 985 plugs thanks efxr6wagon.

haha yes im yet to top up the washer fluid but thats an essential.cooling system was tested a month or two ago aswell so im confident that should be ok, its not lossing much coolant at all.
ill inspect for any oil leaks this afternoon aswell and see how i go.

thanks for the replies given me plenty to work with. if you see the ute up the coast give me a toot!

Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:54 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL Fairmont

QLD, Australia

dahayes wrote:
yer i changed the diff oil a month or two ago so should be right. i picked up a set of 8mm Eagle leads after a few people on here spoke well of them, just gotta pick some plugs up this arvo. i might look into some Autolite 985 plugs thanks efxr6wagon.

haha yes im yet to top up the washer fluid but thats an essential.cooling system was tested a month or two ago aswell so im confident that should be ok, its not lossing much coolant at all.
ill inspect for any oil leaks this afternoon aswell and see how i go.

thanks for the replies given me plenty to work with. if you see the ute up the coast give me a toot!

it's not losing much coolant at all.........???????????shouldn't lose any coolant. I change mine every 20000km and the level doesn't move between yearly services....

Current ride 2007
ML GLX Dualcab Triton 4x4

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]