Spark upgrades... 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Spark upgrades...
Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:31 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: 98 EL Fairmont GHIA

New Zealand

Hey fellas, and ladies.

Just wondering is it worth upgrading the coil thing in a EL to something a bit more grunty? Any benefits to be achieved in doing so? And is it pretty straight forward? i.e no resistors here and there etc

98 Fairmont Ghia, T5, 6 Puk Clutch, Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust System, J3 Chip, Dobi Superlows, 17's, B&M Line-Loc.

Post subject: Re: Spark upgrades...
Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

Generally speaking ignition upgrades aren't normally needed until / unless other work on the engine calls for it - ie. boost / higher rev limit / hi compression etc.

Several years ago I tried running a Crane Fireball PS91 Coil in my ED (has same ignition system as EL) - to be blunt I noticed no improvement in performance. There was no issue even under load with the std coil before I fitted the PS91 - and with the PS91 there was no change overall beyond possibly slightly better idle. It DID noticeably eat up spark plugs - ie. with normal coil the plugs last a long time - only needing regap occasionally - but the PS91 used to actually wear away the electrodes to the point of needing replacement within 6 months.

Batten Performance Tuning sells a performance TFI module that I think would be worth a try - I gather that it has increased spark "dwell" - I was about to try one when I pensioned off the ED (now I have an EF). On it's own and possibly along with a PS91 that TFI module MIGHT improve response and acceleration slightly? - tho like I said on the first line....

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:15 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

yes, upgrades are not really necessary, im running from 12 to 15psi boost on a std dizzy and std coil..

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:36 pm 
Smokin em up

New Zealand

sweet just thought id ask, if a standard system is good for 12psi boost then its good for standard lol

98 Fairmont Ghia, T5, 6 Puk Clutch, Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust System, J3 Chip, Dobi Superlows, 17's, B&M Line-Loc.

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:41 pm 
Smokin em up

New Zealand

Yeah just whacked some new leads on the old girl, one thing i noticed though was the cap was quite loose, i should whip down to super cheap and get a new rotor and cap today while the 25% off sale still on lol

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]