Fordmods Logo

speed limiter 

Page 3 of 5 [ 69 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Re: speed limiter
Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:06 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: ba mk2 xr8

NSW, Australia

maby if i put a supra tailsharft and diff under the car would that work and does anyone no where i can buy better cams from and how much

Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

data_mine wrote:
Guys your speedo's are inaccurate that those speeds. It stops at 180. (170 for LWB, Fairlane/LTD/Wagon/Ute)

My speedo was accurate to within 3 meters of distance marker over 10km - ie. over 10km of distance markers my odometer would tick over to 10km about 3 meters short of the next marker... - NORMAL SPEED LIMITER SETTING WAS INDEED 180KPH - BUT AT WOT THE CAR WOULD REACH 10KPH MORE - this was real world saw it with my own eyes EXPERIENCE - not out of a book.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:42 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

Greenmachine wrote:
data_mine wrote:
Guys your speedo's are inaccurate that those speeds. It stops at 180. (170 for LWB, Fairlane/LTD/Wagon/Ute)

My speedo was accurate to within 3 meters of distance marker over 10km - ie. over 10km of distance markers my odometer would tick over to 10km about 3 meters short of the next marker... - NORMAL SPEED LIMITER SETTING WAS INDEED 180KPH - BUT AT WOT THE CAR WOULD REACH 10KPH MORE - this was real world saw it with my own eyes EXPERIENCE - not out of a book.

The speedo gets more and more inaccurate the faster you go (unless you have the police spec cluster and have it set right). The clusters are programmed to do this to help prevent people speeding excessively.

The ECU on the other hand, gets an accurate speed signal, and cuts injectors at the limiter*. It's a rather mild loss of power, unlike the harsh rev limiter (which is a spark cut).

And before you argue further, I've spent extensive time in the code of the ECU and cluster. This is my PROOF (beats experience).

*This means gas powered Falcons have no speed limiter.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:12 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon

VIC, Australia

I'm assuming there is a fix for this, as there are plenty of race falcons out there that would have to hit over 180 down the straights? My 89 EA 5 Speed got wound off the clock a couple of times, but not sure if the speedo was accurate that high up especially with a diff change in it, from 2.92 to 3.23, but that technically would make it cut in earlier. Ive had my EL XR6 up to 190, only because i heard the XR's don't have a speed limiter, although from what people are saying u can hit 190 anyway.

Im pretty sure the Malwood do a two piece tailshaft for the e series, are there any other known ways to make sure your tailshaft is up to going over 180? Did the XR's really have an alloy tailshaft?

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 8:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

data_mine wrote:
Greenmachine wrote:
data_mine wrote:

The speedo gets more and more inaccurate the faster you go (unless you have the police spec cluster and have it set right). The clusters are programmed to do this to help prevent people speeding excessively.

The ECU on the other hand, gets an accurate speed signal, and cuts injectors at the limiter*. It's a rather mild loss of power, unlike the harsh rev limiter (which is a spark cut).

And before you argue further, I've spent extensive time in the code of the ECU and cluster. This is my PROOF (beats experience).

*This means gas powered Falcons have no speed limiter.

Fair enough - I'm willing to grant there's likely to be inaccuracy at higher speeds then - but I was definitely SEEING a 10kph difference in cut out between WOT and not - and it puzzles me then that the part throttle cut was indeed 180 on the nose - as expected - whereas the cut happened at 190 at WOT - mayhaps the cut is actually 170 at part throttle and 180 only at WOT with a 10kph overindication for safety as you suggest. I can only report what I've been seeing.

Interesting to hear the rev cut is total where speed cut is fuel only - in practice I've experienced both rev limit cut and speed cut (both MANY times!!) and they actually feel very similar - very unpleasant in either case! - tho if I think about it the rev cut IS probably more violent which to date I've put down to the acceleration rate usually being higher when you hit it. After the JMM cam went in I had to stop using manual first with the auto because of the freakin rev limiter - and then had to learn to watch out for it again after the manual conversion.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:22 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF futura 96

QLD, Australia

This is xtreme fords explanation of the tailshaft and explains the recipricating load TheFed is talking about.

Attachments:
shaft.jpg
shaft.jpg [ 45.94 KiB | Viewed 158 times ]

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ef xr6 turbo

SA, Australia

Both my ef xrs have no limiter but my el fairmont does.

there are a few falcons in my drive way, some of them are turbo charged and some arent, some have big engines and some are small but they all have one thing in common and that is the blue oval on the front

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

james88 wrote:

My EL Ghia did have one.... a 6TAC ECU solved that issue :twisted: not that i go that quick anyway.

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:38 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

Greenmachine wrote:
Fair enough - I'm willing to grant there's likely to be inaccuracy at higher speeds then - but I was definitely SEEING a 10kph difference in cut out between WOT and not - and it puzzles me then that the part throttle cut was indeed 180 on the nose - as expected - whereas the cut happened at 190 at WOT - mayhaps the cut is actually 170 at part throttle and 180 only at WOT with a 10kph overindication for safety as you suggest. I can only report what I've been seeing.

What you see is close to right. the 10kph difference you see is also programmed into the ECU, there's a "hysteresis" value, that once a limiter is hit, you have to slow down - in this case - 10kph before it'll reset the limiter, re-enabling the injectors, where you can accelerate back to the 180, and it'll cut you off again.

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:40 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

ACT, Australia

alfy wrote:
james88 wrote:

My EL Ghia did have one.... a 6TAC ECU solved that issue :twisted: not that i go that quick anyway.

That's odd because all the XR ECU's I've seen (EL series) have the speed limiter too.

FWIW the EL Cop ECU had a 220 limiter. I don't know what (if anything) Ford did to the police pack to make them stronger.

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ef xr6 turbo

SA, Australia

there are a few falcons in my drive way, some of them are turbo charged and some arent, some have big engines and some are small but they all have one thing in common and that is the blue oval on the front

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

My old mans EF XR6 doesnt have a limiter either i think, he got it up to 195kph comfortably until he ran out of road :lol:. He reckons that it has no speed limiter but havent really tested it yet, havent got many long open roads near us

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:05 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

my ed is running a el ghia ecu and the speed limiter is not limiting.
its been over 190 on the dyno..

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 5:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

As someone who hits the limiter quite regularly, I can state without any doubt that it is a fade of power (quite adrupt if you happen to be at wide open throttle at the time admittedly).

This cutting of the injectors does seem to fade in and out slightly. If you step off, but ease back on straight away you still have some power (and it seems a little acceleration - but in practical terms it may just be holding the speed around the 170-180 marker)...

As soon as you W.O.T it again it cuts right back again.

At least, this is how it appears to me. May just be entirely speed related (it is called a speed limiter after all...!) but I'm damn sure that lifting off and easing back on maintains a higher speed than just lifting your foot and hoofing it again - you'll just be bouncing around the speed limiter, rather than sitting virtually right on it.

That is interesting about the cluster purposefully getting faster above 120 or 130 or something DATA_DUDE... Sounds very believable to me. As you know, I drive a wagon and I have seen the speedo hit 186km/h, which would suggest that it is a little fast at that speed. It was still going hard when it hit the limiter and it possible could have crept up a few km/h faster than when the limiter actually kicked in....

Pity I've never actually been watching the speedo when it hits the limiter (kind of obvious why not I guess.... I'm busy taking corners and doing stuff like driving.....!) Sometimes it takes me by surprise, didn't realise I was going anywhere near that fast and think the time bomb that is the 350,000km EF has finally had enough of me and my right boot. Then I look down to see the oil pressure, the petrol and.... "Oh s**t.............. If I am doing over 180 up this hill, that means I hit that corner and bridge at about 175... Bugger me and my extra long driveshaft....... Hope that pinion angle was right...."

Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 6:05 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 97 EL futura & BF XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

i have hit the limiter on my el futura at around 180 and it felt like it waz struggling to go further but now i have a bf xr6t at just shy of 215 both were x highway patrols and even they werent exact i found with the bf doing 110 on the free way i was actually doing 108 - 107 according to gps

there is only 2 rules in driving go hard or go home

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 5  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next