Page 5 of 5 [ 69 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post subject: Re: speed limiter
Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Yes it can.
You can run an XR tune or custom tune - basically modify everything the stock computer controls

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:44 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

Sh*t Hot!! Thanks heaps krissdog & fiend!!!!
Now time to save some $$$$. One/few more question... are the J3 easily reprogrammable? is it something i could do? Will this allow me to modify my auto shift points??
Sorry bout all the questions, but this could be the answer to bringing the care factor back up. I have not done sfa since the diff, but this could head me in new direction.

Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

izedso wrote:
Now time to save some $$$$. One/few more question... are the J3 easily reprogrammable? is it something i could do? Will this allow me to modify my auto shift points??
Sorry bout all the questions, but this could be the answer to bringing the care factor back up. I have not done sfa since the diff, but this could head me in new direction.

You could reprogram it yourself, but you'll also need to purchase their programmer along with the chip to do that (and possibly a wideband AFR kit to make sure the mixtures arent too rich/lean), more importantly though, you'll need to know what your doing before altering a tune. AFAIK, the J3 can only modify engine parameters so dont know if it'll alter shift points or not. Best to talk to T.I themselves, or galapogos01 on these forums. J3 Link

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

izedso wrote:

Don't come whining to us when you have either
A: a tailshaft wedged up your a***
OR
B: a wrecked car cause the tailshaft let go, dug into the ground and flipped you

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:58 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

67RCE wrote:

Don't come whining to us when you have either
A: a tailshaft wedged up your a***
OR
B: a wrecked car cause the tailshaft let go, dug into the ground and flipped you

ummm, if i wanted the opinion of an a$$hole i would have f@rt.
Read about 8 posts back! Try doin that before u start flamin!

Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Them don't whine when you fvck the box, cause the extension housing will snap, get a decent box and a GOOD tailshaft made, then you SHOULD be fine

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:09 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

cheers, but i have been trying to f**k the auto for last 2 years with no luck. Good excuse for a 5sp anyway.
Yes, I will be upgrading the tailshaft before I get up to the speeds that could cause damage.

Has anyone ever seen or even heard first hand of a car being flipped by this method, cos I don't believe that a Ford tailshaft is strong enough to propel the a$$ anywhere near vertical.

Remember the Mythbusters episode???? http://mythbustersresults.com/episode27
quick release tailshaft on runway with big f'n hole dug in it to catch shaft as it dropped
Yeah the car was f'kd ip but didn't come anywhere near flipping.

Posted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

re the tailshaft dropping, speed isnt the only factor, torque also comes into play.
Any sub 12 sec car that sees the track, *shouldnt* run a stock tailshaft, but a thickwall shaft.

An approved front tailshaft loop is all thats needed to eliminate any catapaulting or hole digging into the track if it does drop a uni or throw a shaft.
The only reason why the extension housing breaks is due to the stock tailshaft turning into a skipping rope at 5000 odd rpm, the extension housing is the only thing holding it centred, and at 100+ thousand k's that these cars have done the extension housing bushes are 3/4 flogged out anyway.

Speed isnt the determining factor, the diff ratio is. The lower the ratio, the higher the tailshaft RPM at speed, and any imbalance will cause it to flex.
Cars turning to 7000+ rpm with the right tailshaft are fine, they dont break extension housings etc because they are set up correctly, tailshafts, pinion angles etc.

izedso has already stated he has a tailshaft loop, with 3.9's, so in that case he's already taken some of the necessary precautions.

Posted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

Ausman wrote:
thats the first time i've seen the pics of ur car data_mine. in all the older threads about limiters the pics are no longer avial. it failed in a huge way!
on a side note has any1 seen or heard of this happening with a manual, as i've only read about auto's, and as data_mine said his may have been an auto failure. just interested thats all.
Al

I new these photo's were around but never saw them makes ya glad the limiter exists

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Sort by  
 Page 5 of 5  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5