Speed sensitive steering rack into a EF Fairmont 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Speed sensitive steering rack into a EF Fairmont
Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:27 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

Hey all,

About to pick up a steering rack tomorrow, however it was out of a EL Ghia which has speed sensitive steering. I don't really have a desire to get this working, I am just curious if I will just be able to swap them straight over?

Through searching the forums I read something about the possibility of different plugs for the SPSS racks? Could not find a definite answer though..

So in short, are the SPSS racks interchangeable with an ordinary rack out of an EF?

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Speed sensitive steering rack into a EF Fairmont
Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

we've already discussed this in pm, but for the record, I'll put the highlights here for the next guy looking for info.

Ghia rack will bolt straight in.. has a higher spline than standard by about an inch due to the SS stuff.. but the uni slides to suit so no issues.

has two plugs.. one is the normal pressure thingy which is the same as any other rack and the other is the speed sensitive stuff which you'd not have anything to plug it to.

should work fine without the SS connected you just don't get the benefit of the SS.. but that isn't a huge loss anyway.

Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL GHIA

SA, Australia

the rack will fit no drama but you will also have to use the ss racks high pressure hose and the intermediate shaft may have a different spline

Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Blue and White Mercedes

NSW, Australia

tiny56 wrote:
the rack will fit no drama but you will also have to use the ss racks high pressure hose and the intermediate shaft may have a different spline

Are you sure that there is a difference in the high pressure line between the normal and the SPSS steering racks? When I replaced my hose a month ago, I only specified that the car is an EL (I did not mention that it was a ghia, or that it had SPSS), and the new line fit fine.

Remember kids, the more pages of crap in your build thread, the bigger your e-penis is

Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:14 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

Yeah, called a shop to confirm. The input shafts are different from EF to EL.

Damn, pity I purchased all the stuff already. Maybe I'll just see if I can swap this over for a reco EF one... Still save a bit of coin on that I suppose.

Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

could you use an EL intermediate shaft as well?

Incidently, you can swap the heads over on the racks and put the EF head on the EL body...

I've done that before. put an EL SS rack head onto a standard body and that worked fine... just a couple of bolts.

Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB SXR6 | ED XR8 Sprint

NSW, Australia

Sorry to bring an old topic back. I have pulled a Speed senstive rack out of the el ghia i am wrecking and am thinking about putting this into my EB. the only difference there is between this and a standard rack is something that looks like another switch with another 2 wires coming out of it, and also the input shaft is slightly short to accomodate the the extra length in the rack.

My question is... what does the extra plug go into?? it looked like it was part of the engine loom so i just chopped it off... i would like to know what this connects to though... or what i can connect it to to make the rack work.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:16 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NA Fairlane

VIC, Australia

as was mentioned in one of the above posts, 1 is the pressure switch plug, the other is the plug for the speed sensitivty control

Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

RobboXE wrote:
as was mentioned in one of the above posts, 1 is the pressure switch plug, the other is the plug for the speed sensitivty control

What wires will i have to tap into to connect the one for the speed sensitive control? into a car that doesnt have SSSR as standard??

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

you would have to get an EL fairmont ghia ECU and wire it into your car. Not sure it's worth the effort.

Also, I've recently discovered that the shaft between the rack and steering shaft it slightly different between the normal and speed sensitive which explains why I had knocking problems.... the speed sensitive shaft has the cover more retracted than the normal one.. I know this is the case as I have a pair sitting side by side on my desk.

Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

frankieh wrote:
you would have to get an EL fairmont ghia ECU and wire it into your car. Not sure it's worth the effort.

Also, I've recently discovered that the shaft between the rack and steering shaft it slightly different between the normal and speed sensitive which explains why I had knocking problems.... the speed sensitive shaft has the cover more retracted than the normal one.. I know this is the case as I have a pair sitting side by side on my desk.

yeah i noticed the difference i nthe shafts when i compared the two as well.. def. not worth changing ECU's... isnt there a wire i can tap into going to my ECU for the speed with out having to change ECU's?... there should be one there... hhhmmmmm

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I don't think it's like the bbm like a simple feed.. I think the ECU controls it more explicitly than that....

Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL GHIA

SA, Australia

no you cant tap into something that is not there

the extra "switch" you have is the solenoid that controls the speed sensitive function in the rack and it gets its signal from the EL GHIA ECU in the form of a pulse width modulated 12volt signal and that controls the pressure in the rack and adjusts the sensitivity of the steering at speed

this was not an option on EB so you will have no where to connect it to - if you take the soleniod out and plug it up or swap the whole pinion housing the rack will operate as a normal one - if you do let me know as i may be interested in buying the soleniod

Posted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:37 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

A std EL Fairmont ECU will run the SSPS rack as well.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]