Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: standard I6 vs Tickford I6
Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:36 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ford el falcon gli

VIC, Australia

hey guys.

for the el falcon....
just wanted to know what tickford done to enhance the performance of the regular I6 engine found in the regular gli.
i have looked on the web but couldn't find anything.

Post subject: Re: standard I6 vs Tickford I6
Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: EF XR8

NSW, Australia

FordCrazy4.0 wrote:
hey guys.

for the el falcon....
just wanted to know what tickford done to enhance the performance of the regular I6 engine found in the regular gli.
i have looked on the web but couldn't find anything.

I know that they made it fully sick bro

Blue blooded.

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

bigger fuel regulator, different cam,bigger valves, exhaust system, different ecu, 3.45 lsd, fancy seats power front windows fancy front bumper fancy mag wheels and some badging, all that for a small handfull of kw not even worth bragging about lol,

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL xr6

VIC, Australia

uniacidz wrote:
Also, the XR8 was known to be a great car, great sound but the car also prduced 6KW more then the XR6 in the first release.

Was known at the time that the XR6 would beat it down the quarter mile as the car weighed a bit more then the XR6.

XR8:
5.0 litre OHV (over head valve) V8.

170kw @ 4500 rpm. (Updated version: 185kW @ rpm.)
398Nm @ 3000 rpm. (Updated version: Nm @ rpm.)
Pressed steel rocker covers and sump.
Push rod valve actuation.
Cast iron heads.
Sequential fuel injection.
Serpentine accessory drive belt for quietness & reliability.

Engine Options:

Tickford Fitted LPG not available in XR6 or XR8.

wasnt this in the ef's xr8 170kw's?? i thought the els had 185kws? or did the update it with out me knowing and now leading to this question??

EL xr6,standard a** au motor,hi-tech headers, 2 1/2inch red back,,Tikky kitted and wingless,Black GT-P's,on ultra lows and still too high

My Build: the-garage-f53/daniels-el-xr6-build-t100586.html

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

bry40l wrote:
bigger fuel regulator, different cam,bigger valves, exhaust system, different ecu, 3.45 lsd, fancy seats power front windows fancy front bumper fancy mag wheels and some badging, all that for a small handfull of kw not even worth bragging about lol,

You never had one?

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

bry40l wrote:

Not all about kw. There is a noticeable difference, but in saying that (if I had E series again) I wouldn't go out and spend money on tickford parts unless I had to replace mine and they were available for a good price. The problem is most second hand complete heads are probably half knackered anyway and people want too much for them.

I think you would be looking at about $400 in machining costs to get a stock head to tickford spec, then you have valves/springs etc to buy.

If you are looking for cheap power probably better to get a mild cam/new springs/vernier.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
bry40l wrote:

You never had one?

no ive driven a couple, werent any better than a standard falcon, infact the ed xr6 i drove wasnt anywhere near as good as my el in standard form, these days the amount of wear on these engines i guess the low km standard engines would be better

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:05 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

bry40l wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
bry40l wrote:

You never had one?

no ive driven a couple, werent any better than a standard falcon, infact the ed xr6 i drove wasnt anywhere near as good as my el in standard form, these days the amount of wear on these engines i guess the low km standard engines would be better

Can't really compare the ED XR6 to an EL GLi...that's 2 generations apart. If you drove an EL XR6 with similar kilometers and service to an EL GLi, the EL XR6 would be the winner in everything.

E/AU-series XR6s are worth the extra dollar for all the extras you get compared to the current B-series which are just glorified XTs.

In saying that, if you want to put a Tickford motor into a standard car, you probably won't see much improvement unless the engine is rebuilt. Even then you won't be able to tell much difference. You're better off getting an average cam to suit the engine/transmission, valve springs and an adjustable cam gear to get decent power gain. This is assuming you have an upgraded exhaust system already and if you have the money, rebuilt diff with higher diff gears and a rebalanced tailshaft will get you off the line better.

I mean if you can get your hands on a running Tickford motor at a decent price (say ~$500), it wouldn't hurt to put it in and then slowly upgrade the Tickford motor.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

I noticed a massive difference going from ef gli to el xr6.
Drive a well looked after one that hasn't been flogged its whole life and you'll know the difference

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:50 am 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

I have both an 06/94 ED Futura Classic 4.0 5 speed and 06/97 EL XR6 5 speed and I really think there is not much in it. The EL has a better take off due to the BB and 3.45 and thats about it. So off the line or just stabbing it the response is much quicker where as the ED needs to be at 2,500 rpm before it takes off in any gear. My manuals may be different to the auto versions but still fun to drive but a pain in city traffic.

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

I'd say the 3.45 diff gearing makes the XR feel that little bit better IMO. Combined with the few extra bits and bob's Tickford added engine wise and suspension wise, makes for a better package all round.

Personally, I didn't notice too much of a difference between my EF Fairmont and my old man's EF XR6 when both were stock, both auto, and are in pretty good condition mechanically. I'll admit the XR6 used to get off the line heaps better though. It felt stronger punching it from low rev's, midrange pull was slightly better and shifts were nicer, but nothing overly dramatic.

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

uniacidz wrote:
Also, the XR8 was known to be a great car, great sound but the car also prduced 6KW more then the XR6 in the first release.

Was known at the time that the XR6 would beat it down the quarter mile as the car weighed a bit more then the XR6.

XR8:
5.0 litre OHV (over head valve) V8.

170kw @ 4500 rpm. (Updated version: 185kW @ rpm.)
398Nm @ 3000 rpm. (Updated version: Nm @ rpm.)
Pressed steel rocker covers and sump.
Push rod valve actuation.
Cast iron heads.
Sequential fuel injection.
Serpentine accessory drive belt for quietness & reliability.

Engine Options:

Tickford Fitted LPG not available in XR6 or XR8.

lol.. the only engine option for the XR8 is not available on XR8s. hahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol:

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

true.. was busy laughin to take notice of when it was posted. :P :P

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:59 am 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

i just want to know the difference in 0-100 and 1/4 mile with a ED 4.0L 5 speed v ED XR6 5 speed and EL 4.0 5 speed v EL XR6 5 speed - just wondering if it is a massive waste of time to transplant the Tickford Head, Cam, FPR, Thermos, BBM and Serpentine Belt Set Up and 3.45 into the ED

Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:56 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

Nar bud, don't worry.

I read this post and reading something different. I just wanna compare the std ED Futura/Gli 5 speed v the ED XR6 5 speed models. I did and used web-wombat and auto-cat and shuffled through all my 1994-1996 modern motors, wheels and car australia and they all say a manual Futura or Gli is 8.0 secs to 100 and 15.7 sec 1/4 where as XR6 does 7.3 secs to 100 and 15.2 sec 1/4. I think the figures are rubbery to make the XR6 look faster than the std taxi version cos there are 3 of us in Townsville with bog stock manuals which are much faster than 8.0 secs. And yeah I feel changing to the BBM and other newer specs to get away from the clutch fan and log manifold not worth it then. Also read that EF XR6 manual owners complained to Ford as they were getting beaten by std Gli 5 speeds and yet paid heaps more. Even the EA 3.9 5 speed was a weapon in 1988 but Ford official figures made it look slow.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next