Fordmods Logo

Starting problems 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Starting problems
Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:12 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: ford falcon

QLD, Australia

I cant get the XF to start, changed ALL the fuses checked wiring, checked the computer, my question is, in 3 dayes i have done 2 trips from brissy to LAIDLEY and to ESK just wondering if the 22 year old starting motor is the problem? I turn the ignition on and all i get is the lights on the dash no clicks nothing else, lights come on, wipers horn etc work..nothing else yeah the alarm and central locking works....any suggestions please...

Post subject: Re: Starting problems
Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:23 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Fairlane Concorde 4.0

NSW, Australia

Well a few possible faults. First is your battery may be stuffed and can't supply enough current when you hit the start position. The other is your ignition switch or solenoid/starter is knackered. A trick that my father in law would do is get a screwdriver and put it across the 2 terminals of the starter solenoid. This would cause the starter to turn without using the key. Of course make sure your in park/neutral and hand brake is on. I didn't like his method because even though it would work, sparks would fly and it scared the s!!t out of me. At least this would tell you that your battery is ok. If your going to use a screw driver, make sure its not long enough to touch anything other than the 2 terms on the solenoid and that it is thick enough to handle the current.

The proper way to test your car is using a battery load tester (bet you don't have one of those) and check that the battery recovers after the specified load period. The second one would be to manufacture a remote starter wire (piece of thicker wire with a spade terminal on one end) that you can connect too your starter solenoid. Just pull the spade connection off your solenoid and fit your manufactured one in its place. Car in park/neutral/handbrake with ignition on. Short end of your manufactured wire to the +battery terminal. Car should start.

The X series cars are known for bad starter motors so don't be surprised if its knacked. Rule the battery side out first.

Good Luck.

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

The battery is not even 2 months old, so we can eliminate that, it started ok /first pop drove the kids to school came home and parked it.2 hours later nothing, nada, zero, zilch wont start..like i said the starter is original...just wondered if the starter went if this would cause the problem..

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Just tried what you said, first time the starter whirred, the second time it clicked, the 3rd time it whirred, i cant get anything to happen with the key..

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:18 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Fairlane Concorde 4.0

NSW, Australia

Which method did you try? The screwdriver or the remote starter wire? The wire is my prefered method even though it takes a bit more effort to manufacture. Main reason is because the wire simulates you turning the key. It supplies 12v to the solenoid which does two things. First it supplies 12v to the starter motor to start the thing spinning. Secondly it powers the solenoid which is mechanically linked to the pinion gear. This throws it out to engage the flywheel ring gear. Just putting the screwdriver across the terminals doesn't power the solenoid so you have to rely on the helix to push the pinion out.

Sounds like your getting something happening with the suggested methods. If your key is not producing a similar result, you may have a stuffed ignition switch. Before we jump to that conclusion, get some wire (14 gauge or thicker) and try the remote starter wire idea. I used approx 3 metres of wire with a female spade connector on end and just baired for about an inch at the opposite end. If the car starts consistantly with the wire, I'd say its the ign switch.

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:00 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

I used the screwdriver trick...

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: el fairmont ghia

QLD, Australia

we use a wire twisted around on the tractor solenoid

Muts EL Fairmont Ghia
did someone call 9 1 HOLY s**t?

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

I had a ZK Fairlane with starter probs. Apparently the starter gets hot, being positioned where it is, and refuses to work. The solution (in may case and a lot of other cases) is to put a relay on the starter curcuit. Once I did this, I had no more starting problems even on the hottest days. Before I did this, I could solve the non-starting problem by carrying a bottle of water and pouring it over the starter motor when the engine was hot. That worked a treat until one ran out of water! :D

Only a suggestion, but it might work :) :)

Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:13 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

You know that is what i think the problem is, i had the clutch changed about 3 years ago and the mechanic never put the heat shield back on, ill bet the solenoid has been cooked....

Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Ok, auto electrician told me a way to start the old girl which worked, took it to the auto elec and they told me it was the RHINO alarm system which was causing the problem. He has by passed it and the car starts fine now. Testing circuits, under the bonnet and under the dash, by passing the system, $20.00...now all i have to do is wait and get an appointment to see the guys who installed it and see if they can repair or replace it...wooohooo the car goes again just in time for easter...thanks for all the help guys..

Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

QLD, Australia

creeture3 wrote:
I had a ZK Fairlane with starter probs. Apparently the starter gets hot, being positioned where it is, and refuses to work. The solution (in may case and a lot of other cases) is to put a relay on the starter curcuit. Once I did this, I had no more starting problems even on the hottest days. Before I did this, I could solve the non-starting problem by carrying a bottle of water and pouring it over the starter motor when the engine was hot. That worked a treat until one ran out of water! :D

Only a suggestion, but it might work :) :)

I also had to put a relay in on the starter circuit, on my old VK Commodore 202 EFI. Had similar problems you described.

97 EL Fairmont 4l OHC .Silver.
Exhaust: Pacemaker's, 2.5" exhaust and Hiflow cat
Intake: FRAM AIRHOG , EL GT snorkel
XR6 300kpa fuel reg Stg 2 Auto Shift Kit.6DJA ECU
PM in Qld looking too buy Toyota 4*4 SR5 Dualcab Hilux 91-97 with 2.8l diesel engine/5spd manual

Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:12 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: FORD EL GLI

QLD, Australia

sounds like your starter motor is stuffed.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]