steering fluid droping on alternator 

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

i woudl fix the leak as soon as you can, we get alot of ef/el alternators that come in that are full of oil.
we're just starting to get AU alternators now.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EA

QLD, Australia

pretty sad when you think about it though,,a simple thing like that can cost so much in the long run

ie new alternator and power steering pump,,it shouldn't leak in the first place

NO ONE DIES A VIRGIN AS LIFE SCREWS US ALL

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

yeah but the cars have most likely done towards the 200,000km mark, things are bound to happen

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: 03 BA Fairmont

QLD, Australia

perhaps it might be worth making a bit of a shield below the PS pump to stop it from happening.

Regards,
Punnisher_42

Favorite Quotes:
"Sportwagon = homo-erotic wank-fest." - downingj

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Holden VF Calais / NL FBT

VIC, Australia

not a bad idea, or you could just get a reseal kit and fix the problem so that ot doesnt get on anything else in the engine bay

Nicko

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:20 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL falcon - Skyline r33

NSW, Australia

Punnisher_42 wrote:
perhaps it might be worth making a bit of a shield below the PS pump to stop it from happening.

i wish ford thought of that when they made the car

It's set up like a deck of cards, They're sending us to early graves. For all the diamonds, they'll use a pair of clubs to beat the spades.

RATM

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:33 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

i believe when ford made the car they also made a service schedule which says you are meant to check for leaks at every service, and fix them accordingly, thus making the shield un-nessecary. A shield for "in case" power steering leaks would be a bit like a shield under the radiator hose for in case it bursts, to stop water getting in the alternator, i see where your coming from, but there just isnt enough room for all the required shields.
Also, oil leaks bad enough to be dripping onto the ground (or the alternator and than the ground) are illegal anyway, so your car wont pass a pink slip while ever it leaks (or u degrease it an hour b4 the inspection lol)

Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:17 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL falcon - Skyline r33

NSW, Australia

xpression wrote:
i believe when ford made the car they also made a service schedule which says you are meant to check for leaks at every service, and fix them accordingly, thus making the shield un-nessecary. A shield for "in case" power steering leaks would be a bit like a shield under the radiator hose for in case it bursts, to stop water getting in the alternator, i see where your coming from, but there just isnt enough room for all the required shields.
Also, oil leaks bad enough to be dripping onto the ground (or the alternator and than the ground) are illegal anyway, so your car wont pass a pink slip while ever it leaks (or u degrease it an hour b4 the inspection lol)

well you have a very valid point there.

Yes cars do have service schedules, but when a car has done so many kilometers its bound to leak sometime while you are unaware the leak has began , thus driping oil into the alternator and causeing the damage before you could prevent it. if i found out earlyer that the oil leak was trashing my alternator i would have fixed it %100 . but i dident find out till
my alternator died and i saw some oil on the ground.

Theres not much room for a shield your right, but i mean theres room to the left of the engine where the PS could be mounted , but it was mounted right above the alternator.

I dunno im probly being a stupid fuk about this, but i mean cars a ment to be designed for practicality and operation, avoiding problems. not all problems can be avoided in the design of a car, but some things can only be figured out after heavy use. soo mehhhh

It's set up like a deck of cards, They're sending us to early graves. For all the diamonds, they'll use a pair of clubs to beat the spades.

RATM

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

cougar30 wrote:
i went though 3 alternators in the ea before we found that the power steering pump was leaking straight into it
:lol: swap the aircond pump over to the alternater then relocate the steering pump where the harmonic balancer was. The steering pump will help dumpin the vibration from the crankshaft. you'll find that ill stop the leaks.

Mind f**k!!! it works on feeble minded ignorant sheeples... there's plenty of em on this site... some are very intelligent but by god they are so thick!!!

Pakrat wrote:
You can buy them seppertly

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2