Fordmods Logo

Stiff steering & buzzing from power steering. FORD EL 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Stiff steering & buzzing from power steering. FORD EL
Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:05 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1992 Ford Eb Series 2

Ok..soo...me and some friends decided to go to mount donnabeuang to do some loops in the wet, except of course my EL took a casualty like it always does ~_~.. Just doin loops and having fun..then when i was leaving the steering was very tight when trying to turn it on the spot & it makes a buzzing noise from the engine bay..I stopped to check if the fan belt was coming off but it was running all in line and ok. Im assuming its the power steering rack?.. Cant be the pump s**t itself?..lol..

If SO.. Will my ford eb power steering rack fit onto the ford el? Both e series?..
thanks for the help :)

Post subject: Re: Stiff steering & buzzing from power steering. FORD EL
Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:06 am 
Stock as a Rock

It has the same feeling as when ur belt snaps on the car & u lose the power steering, but when i go to drive high speed it works ok untill i turn the wheel half way to the right or left.

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 97 TICKFORD XR6 Manaul

SA, Australia

check your fluid.
and the rack itself as you may have knocked it.
to replace your pump with a eb one youll need to swapover the wheel fot the serpintine belt,
belive that needs a pully to get off.

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:22 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I believe EL Steering rack is different to EB...so may not fit...but I'd wait for confirmation.

You are sadly mistaken if you think the pump can't die, unfortunately they can. The whine you hear can be due to low fluid in the pump and since you drove it home with possible low fluid, you may have also damaged the pump in the process. Might be lucky to get away with it if there was just enough for the vanes to be lubricated.

Have a look at the fluid level, if it's low, top it up and see how you go. If it's full, it could be pump, rack or high pressure hose.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

phongus wrote:
I believe EL Steering rack is different to EB...so may not fit...but I'd wait for confirmation.

You are sadly mistaken if you think the pump can't die, unfortunately they can. The whine you hear can be due to low fluid in the pump and since you drove it home with possible low fluid, you may have also damaged the pump in the process. Might be lucky to get away with it if there was just enough for the vanes to be lubricated.

Have a look at the fluid level, if it's low, top it up and see how you go. If it's full, it could be pump, rack or high pressure hose.

Yeah i assumed the rack imediatly because it just happened right after doing spins and loops..but in the morning it ran fine then after driving a little while it went stiff again so i assume the pump..i got a second hand one because i tried allen keys on the pump lol they needed a pully 120$ -.- just got second hand pump 60$

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]