Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: still having bad idle in Neutral and Park
Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:45 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

hey everyone. my car hunts for the idle in Park and Neutral and idles quite rough. In drive however it sits still but is not as smooth as i thought it would.......hate to say it but my EA idled better. I cleaned the TB, checked the ISC and so far its working. I was going to pull the chamber thingy out today and clean it inside (nice and warm) and then re-install it tomorrow and see how it goes. btw my mechanic also said that the car seems to have no low end torque and said it might be the broadband something? im thinking BEM is what he was talking about. Is it alright to clean that big chamber thingy on the inlet side of the engine with carby cleaner or just wipe it? what else could cause a rough idle in neutral and park and not in the driving gears?

cheers

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF & VTR1000

NSW, Australia

i think he might be talking about the broad band manifold, it could have a shagged gasket, or could be dirty inside, not sure :s

have you checked your leads and plugs and other ignition devices? spraying carby cleaner on the inlet "should" be okay as it dries up, i think :P

Rob

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:47 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

XCH45R wrote:
i think he might be talking about the broad band manifold, it could have a shagged gasket, or could be dirty inside, not sure :s

have you checked your leads and plugs and other ignition devices? spraying carby cleaner on the inlet "should" be okay as it dries up, i think :P

Rob

well leads and plugs were replaced on my last service....which was 2 days ago. so was oil and oil filter. TB was cleaned on that day too.

thats right the Broad band manifold. now i was going to spray it with carby but i thought it might work better if i take the thing off and then clean it inside the house. and let it sit there to dry even though it dries pretty quickly. its too damn cold outside. can u buy the gasket seperately or do i have to buy like one of those gasket kits?

cheers

phong =P~

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: BOXCAR

TAS, Australia

VACUME LEAK. dunno where its at. You'll have to find that for yourself. These are all the classical symtoms. Listen for hissing sounds

^^^ What He Said

<a href="http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44952" target="_blank" class="postlink"> TAS Cruises</a>

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef fairmont

NSW, Australia

I would see if the inlet manifold bolts are loose or the gasket might be stuffed and letting it suck air because it sounds like a air leek to me

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

MARK.TANIA wrote:
I would see if the inlet manifold bolts are loose or the gasket might be stuffed and letting it suck air because it sounds like a air leek to me

In my experience when it doesnt idle in park or netural properly its because the injectors are dirty. Take a look. maybe even magna ones.

HOLDENS go like rockets. They fall apart in stages!!!

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:38 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Well here's my theory:
Vaccy leak ?, perhaps, put a vaccy gauge on and check (borrow it from someone ?).
Check base timing, perhaps it's running a tad retarded - maybe the dizzy clamp may be loose ?, and then adjust idle speed if needed. Just because it seems to run a bit smoother in drive doesn't mean that this area should be ignored. Maybe the idle speed is too low.
Pull the fuel reg vaccy hose and plug it with your thumb - this increases fuel rail pressure - if the injectors sound a tad more noisy and/or the idle smoothness improves, then chances are they are dirty.
As far as the BBM goes, I'd be checking for correct operation of the actuator and the vacuum solenoid switch, I wouldn't think the thing needs pulling down and cleaning.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:03 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

okies. there is one leak that i know of and its the one that goes into the cabin and allows me to change the direction of the air flow. I unplugged that and stoppered in the engine bay. I might need to check the gasket but if its the gasket it would be easy to replace yeah? Im going to take the injectors out over the weekend. once they are removed i won't be able to clean them until i give them to a professional so there goes more money.

cheers for all the replies i hope i get time to actually get it done.

cheers

phong =P~

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:13 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

*double post*

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]