Fordmods Logo

Strange noise from exhaust+possible injector fault or WORSE! 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Strange noise from exhaust+possible injector fault or WORSE!
Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1995 EF GLI

NSW, Australia

Ok, well i have got my 2.5 inch lukey exhaust on with 1 muffler. and only now have i noticed a noice from my exhaust only sometimes but when i really rev it in neutral and sometimes when i am reversing its like it is sort of pushing a s**t load of air out in one big go. Its really hard to explain like, i am reving it and the noise is going up with my revs then all of a sudden it just makes a s**t sound like its conking out but then it kicks back in again?? im sure some body will knoe whats wrong, i was just thinking maby a cylinder was not firing properly?spark plug?? i am just taking a wild guess.

Last edited by dregg69 on Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF Falcon

QLD, Australia

its not that lurvely burble that you get after you give it a big kick??

thats a sweet sound, and my lukey cat back does it

Is it making the noise while you are reving, or after you take your foot out?

Nicco's M112 Blown, T-56 equipped EF
forums/viewtopic.php?t=68319

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:43 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

no its not that, thats a great sound. It is while i am reving it.
But now i have a bigger problem, this morning driving to work it had the worst revs, again it is hard to explain but a** it would go up i would watch the revs and the neddle would jump back then go forward jump back then go forward and the car would do the same it was like it was conking out again. now yesturday i did drive on nearly a completly empty tank and my dad rekons i would of picked up all the dirt and s**t from the bottem of the tank and now my injectors will be clogged. so this after noon i am thinking of getting some injector cleaner just the one you add to the petrol also i will also fill up a full tank.
What do you think is the problem???

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:17 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL XR6

SA, Australia

Instead of Injector cleaner, run a tank of 98 Octane through it. Apparently that is good for cleaning out injectors.

Also remember that changing the back pressure (with the new exhaust) will upset how it is tuned. You could try getting a dyno tune (which will also help make the most of your new exhaust). Ultra Tune will do one for around $170.

Disconneting the battery will reset the tuning parameters I think but won't necessarily help (make sure you have the radio code if it's stock before disconnecting)

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: EL Falcon GLI

VIC, Australia

mmm wish i had that sweet churning sound

Buy my car :) cause i just bought a BA XR6 :)

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:59 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

Also remember that changing the back pressure (with the new exhaust) will upset how it is tuned. You could try getting a dyno tune (which will also help make the most of your new exhaust). Ultra Tune will do one for around $170.

hahahahahah ill take your 170 of your hands, have you tried going back to the guy who did the exhaust?

OFFICIAL TOKEN BLACKY

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

black ed xr8 wrote:

hahahahahah ill take your 170 of your hands, have you tried going back to the guy who did the exhaust?

And what exactly can they 'Tune' while you're on the Dyno? Bugger all!

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

dregg69 wrote:
no its not that, thats a great sound. It is while i am reving it.
But now i have a bigger problem, this morning driving to work it had the worst revs, again it is hard to explain but a** it would go up i would watch the revs and the neddle would jump back then go forward jump back then go forward and the car would do the same it was like it was conking out again. now yesturday i did drive on nearly a completly empty tank and my dad rekons i would of picked up all the dirt and s**t from the bottem of the tank and now my injectors will be clogged. so this after noon i am thinking of getting some injector cleaner just the one you add to the petrol also i will also fill up a full tank.
What do you think is the problem???

Well you have two filters before the injectors. One on the fuel pump within the boot and one underneath the car near the left rear wheel. It is possible that you have got a fouled filter.
Also, you may have a possible electrical fault under load. Might be vacuum hose(s) leaking or not fully plugged in?

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:18 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

hmm thanks for all the replies, I filled it up with petty this arfternoon and i think that it has gone away a bit?? but i dont see how if i have 2 petrol filters? I hope it is nothing major. it is still kind of ruff going up the revs but it wasnt like this when i first got my exhaust so i doubt it could be that.What else should i try i will do something with the injectors but what else?? How often should i change the fuel filters?

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Territory TX AWD & AUII XLS EGAS

NSW, Australia

Might be a coil on it's way out ... depends on what model you have ... spark plug maybe ... or a lead ... could have been a bad batch of fuel too.

I had my XG ute conk out on me after filling up ... thought I got water in my fuel ... it wasn't ... my coil decided it would pack it in ... took about 10 minutes before it carked it at a set of light in peak hour traffic on Pacific Hwy at Chatswood.

It could be a number of things really though.

04 Territory TX AWD - Winter White - optioned up
06 Falcon BFII XLS ute EGAS - Winter White - EGA-54D Version 2

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:09 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

yea, well i am just going to see how it goes i guess i am going to change the oil this weekend should i change the fuel filter(s) as i have found 1 for my car at super cheap do i only change the one under the bonnet?? Also are the valvoline oil filters and oil ok??

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:16 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL XR6

SA, Australia

The car be be tuned so that runtime changes picked up by the stock sensors help initiate changes suited to your after market equipment.

I have spent the $170 dollars before and if any of you could get my car to run/respond like they did then I'd give it to you.

Just cause you can't understand something, doesn't mean it can't be done.

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:51 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

pfechner wrote:
The car be be tuned so that runtime changes picked up by the stock sensors help initiate changes suited to your after market equipment.

I have spent the $170 dollars before and if any of you could get my car to run/respond like they did then I'd give it to you.

You didnt answer the question...
ok so what did they change/tune? we would all love to know.
dregg69 has a EF with a standard ECU which you cant change... it will learn! but u cant change.

Regency Red EL Fairmont - PH4480 - 2.5" exhaust - High flow cat/muffler - K&N panel filter - Mandrel bent air intake - T series intake - wade 1604 cam - 98 EL XR6 ECU - Whiteline lows - 17" ROH RT's - Koni yellows - DBA Slotted's - Green Stuff pads
NEED: LSD, chiptorque

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Mako wrote:
pfechner wrote:

You didnt answer the question...
ok so what did they change/tune? we would all love to know.
dregg69 has a EF with a standard ECU which you cant change... it will learn! but u cant change.

they probly just reset the ecu, and then throw it on the dyno for it to learn everything!

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

dregg69 wrote:
it would go up i would watch the revs and the neddle would jump back then go forward jump back then go forward and the car would do the same it was like it was conking out again.

outs did this when it needed new spark leads, we threw them in...and it was happy again ;)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next