Fordmods Logo

strange noise from rear lower engine. 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: strange noise from rear lower engine.
Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

a strange clatter from the rear lower end of a 6cyl ef falcon engine. The noise happens when you rev it... The car is an auto with the usual BTR le93.

at first i thought it was a loose big end... but this noise happens just after you take your foot off the acelerator.

i thought it could be a loose or cracked flex plate.... looking for any thoughts from you guys..

Last edited by frankieh on Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: strange noise from rear lower engine.
Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:58 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

frankieh wrote:
a strange clatter from the rear lower end of a 6cyl ef falcon. the noise happens whe you rev it...

at first i thought it was a loose big end... but this noise happens just after you take your foot off the acelerator.

i thought it could be a loose or cracked flex plate.... looking for any thoughts from you guys..

Does this happens under load or free revving? Also is it manual?

Mine has a rattle when accelerating, but I think it's because of my spigot bearing which I can't be bothered changing. Engine doesn't make any rattling when free reving without load...I hope it's not my big end :?.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Sorry..posting from my phone here, was just about to edit and add that its an Auto and the noise happens when free revving... :-) its quiet a loud rattle and not as deep sounding as a big end noise I think.

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:39 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BA XT '02

NT, Australia

perhaps flex plate?

Holden = Hope Our Luck Doesn't End Now

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2006 BF XR8 Boss 260

New Zealand

Sounds like flexiplate mate.

Pull the inspection panel off and get a light in there. May even be loose bolts, wouldn't be the first time :)

Current...
XY Faker Project...
EL XR6 Work Hack...

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Do you mean the bolts holding the torque converter to the flexplate??? That would be great cos i could probably tighten them without pulling the engine or transmission... by inspection plate you mean the tin covering the bottom half of the bell housing yes?

Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

checked the oil in the box ? mine was making a similar noise before i dropped the auto. finding minimal oil in it. replacing with manual got rid of the noise so i'm guessing in my case it was low oil in the auto. i thought it was big end noise in mine also.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Yeah, the oil that was in it had some water in it it seems.. just changed out the whole lot and filter and it seems better now.. but the rattle is still there a little... going to check the flexplate this weekend... hoping it's not something I can only fix by pulling the engine or gearbox.

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

Sounds exactly like the torque convertor bolts loosening up, which has happened twice on my EF.

If the EL is similar to the EF, it's a fairly easy fix. There is an aluminium brace on each side between the trans and the engine - loosen the two bolts on the engine end and remove the bolt at the trans end. Unbolt and remove the inspection plate covering the bottom half of the front of the trans. There are four bolts holding the flex plate and torque convertor together. If you find any of them are loose, put loctite on each one before you tighten it, or you will be doing it again soon.

To tighten the bolts, you will need some way to stop the flex plate from turning. Jamming a big screwdriver or small prybar in the flexplate teeth is the easiest, but may be a two person job.

Hope this helps.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

God, I really hope that is what it is... cos I was hoping to go 6 months without having to pull a head off or an engine out. (just put a new head and an MLS gasket on that engine.)

I should also mention that the noise is more pronounced when it's cold... it's still there when it's hot, but less noticeable. (maybe cos the torque converter is full of fluid and under pressure?)

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

hate to be a downer but does your trans run through the radiator ? because ba's aren't the only model thats failed in this area, they just got the worste rap for it. there shouldn't be water in the oil. however if it was a one off, changing the oil/basic service would probably suffice and it would take some time for the sludge to clear galleries etc. maybe worth a pre-mature filter inspection a bit later down the track?
have never had the bolts loosen personally but never owned many autos so can't advise, worth checking though. even later models have a plastic inspection hatch you can check through, just back your spark plugs out and rotate the crank with a breaker bar on the pulley nut. Threadlocker +1

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Hi Low_ryda,

The car did have the through radiator cooler for the transmission, when I noticed the water, I blocked it off and put two external coolers instead..

Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

awsome. i had a mate with a ba who drove his to the mechanic in lhm with the breached radiator and it was still salvageable with a new radiator and trans flush. they seem pretty hardy.
it's hard to pick noises when you can't be there under the car to hear things under load. although having said this, cars with knock sensors would run retarded if it was knocking ? does yours have a knock sensor ? these can also be used with multi meters.. all blocks have the provision for them :idea:

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

OK... took the plate off and took all the bolts... all were tight and are now chock full of red locktite..

There were no cracks in the flexplate I could see, so I got the wife to start and rev the car while I had it up on the ramps.. also there is no movement in the plate as it's solid and tight and can't be moved at all with a screwdriver laterally so I am thinking the flexplate crankshaft bolts are fine too.

All the noises seem to be coming from the torque converter before it's full of oil, then it settles down.

I didn't think there was much in the converter that could make noise...

Still, it's not a big end or flywheel about to let loose.. so I'm feeling better about it.

still curious as to why the converter makes a racket initially though.

cheers

Frank

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

frankieh wrote:
OK... took the plate off and took all the bolts... all were tight and are now chock full of red locktite..

There were no cracks in the flexplate I could see, so I got the wife to start and rev the car while I had it up on the ramps.. also there is no movement in the plate as it's solid and tight and can't be moved at all with a screwdriver laterally so I am thinking the flexplate crankshaft bolts are fine too.

All the noises seem to be coming from the torque converter before it's full of oil, then it settles down.

I didn't think there was much in the converter that could make noise...

Still, it's not a big end or flywheel about to let loose.. so I'm feeling better about it.

still curious as to why the converter makes a racket initially though.

cheers

Frank

There are a few moving parts in them.....the Stator and a sprag clutch, as well as the turbine and impellor......and some bearings......something ain't right to be making a noise.....better change out the convertor before major damage happens.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next