Fordmods Logo

Strange problem with EB Series 1 3.9L 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Strange problem with EB Series 1 3.9L
Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

it started about 3 weeks ago. I'll start it up of a morning when the engine is dead cold and it'll idle for a bit and then stall and not restart on either gas or petrol. 1 day i cranked it for nearly a minute and then pulled of a lead and checked for spark. had no spark. so i turned the ignition off and then tried again and it started and ran fine. then i drove half an hour to work without a hitch!

Sunday night just gone i tried a good old battery reset, left the battery disconnected over night. next morning was fine. but this week it hasn't been driven much except for most the day yesterday, went without a hitch again. but this morning i had an early start and got a lift to work and it was parked behind my brothers car. so he started it, move it onto the nature strip, moved his car, jumped back into mine to put it back and it stalled and then wouldn't start again. after a couple of minutes of cranking he gave up and left it there. but then about 3 hours later my missus tried to start it and it ran fine. so she put it in the driveway.

today after work i let it idle for like 15 mins. no problems. i had a spare ECU so i've just put that in. i'll see how it goes.

now the ultimate question is do you guys have any ideas? to my understanding if it was a coil problem it'd do it when hot. i was thinking maybe a dizzy module. i have a mate with a dizzy out of a 4L. are they the same?

thanks in advance

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Post subject: Re: Strange problem with EB Series 1 3.9L
Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

put my spare ECU in. drove fine for an hour. but like i said it does it when the engine is dead cold. i'll see what it does in the morning

Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Post subject: Re: Strange problem with EB Series 1 3.9L
Posted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

because of this problem i didn't go to AFD. :evil:

so i thought i'd try an compensate and go to a local car show. i entered the EB. cleaned it up yesterday. drove it last night. all good.

but this morning wouldn't start. no spark. so i purchased a new coil. didn't fix it. had to go to the car show in my brothers neat as VP.

got home and chucked a 2nd hand dizzy my mate had in it. runs sweet as now. even advanced the timing a bit for more sick HP. :lol:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]