Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Strange vibration...
Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU III XR8 347ci

ACT, Australia

G'day;

Car: EBII 4.0L Falcon, auto, stock, 198000kms.

Question: For some time now, I have noticed my car making a strange vibration/rumbling noise which seems to be coming from somewhere along the driveline (not engine).

The noise is most obvious when travelling at about 110km/h down hills on a smooth road, when the throttle is only slightly pressed.

It is not a constant vibrating noise (like you'd experience with say an unbalanced flywheel), but more like a 'rumbling' noise.

The noise stops while the vehicle is rolling at this speed when placed in 'neutral', although resumes instantly when placed back in to 'drive'.

Further to this, the vibration/rumbling can be felt ever-so-slightly through the foot well at times.

Unfortunately, it is one of those issues which are terribly hard to describe and is only really noticable on roads and speed as listed above.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I plan on driving this to the Gold Coast from Canberra relatively soon.

Also, if you require any further details, please let me know and I will try my best to be as specific as I can.

Regards.

Post subject: Re: Strange vibration...
Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Check for missing balance weights on the drive shaft, then check for excessive play on the slip yoke where it enters the transmission (possibly worn transmission extension housing bush) also check drive shaft universal joints for wear (the rear one normally goes first)

Post subject: Re: Strange vibration...
Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU III XR8 347ci

ACT, Australia

Okay. I've bitten the bullet and taken it to Ford... During the test drive, he noticed a few clunks and rattles, although was not able to determine exactly where they were coming from...

The car is booked in with Ford this Friday, where they will place it on the hoist and have a good look at the underside, from front to back, and tighten anythink obviously loose.

Will keep you posted... Hopefully it won't cost too much! :-/

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]