Fordmods Logo

Strange Vibrations or shudders 

Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:51 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: BA XT

VIC, Australia

Ok ive had a look at the bush and it all seems fine to me....Rotated and it was fine it didnt move side to side.. tailshaft has a polished wear in it but i figure that from moving in and out of the bush when the diff bumps up and down... Rotated the wheels front to back...back to front didnt make a difference (figured if it was a wheel allignment issue then i would feel it on the front).... on a quick note the bushes in both control arms at the rear are shot and need to be replaced. i noticed this on saturday when i was trying to get in the boot. Ive been told that this shouldnt give me the problems im having but the mechanic i spoke to is a mate and admitted that he rarely touches fords..Ive been trying to suss out more info on the issue and this is what i have so far.... i dont notice it when the car is going uphill so under load.... sometimes when it happens and i put the car in neutral it stops doing it but then other times it continues even when i move to neutral....the pressure i apply to the throttle (gradually not just a bootful) it gets worse and then after getting above 60kms its gone and i dont notice it again until im down to between 40 - 60...Hey Mystro are you have the exact same issues as me? if so what colour is your transmission and how many Kms has your car done... im up to two hundred and twenty three thou
This is getting annoying and worrying especially since ive put alot of time and effort into the car and would like to not part with it but having a mortgage makes it hard to pull money outa my butt for massive mechanic bills

Ford Falcon BA XT 2003, Stock Engine, Factory Fitted LPG, Monroe GT Sports Shockers, King Coil Springs, Advanti Shine 19" 8x5 Rims, 2 1/2" Exhaust,DNA Fascia, Pioneer DEH-1350MPG Head Unit, Powervox 500watt 4 Channel Amp, Aerpro Hi/Lo Audio level converter, Pioneer 10" Sub Woofer

Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:12 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

fixed the Brake pads as well had a build up of dust on one of right rear pads, took a look when i rotated the wheels

Ford Falcon BA XT 2003, Stock Engine, Factory Fitted LPG, Monroe GT Sports Shockers, King Coil Springs, Advanti Shine 19" 8x5 Rims, 2 1/2" Exhaust,DNA Fascia, Pioneer DEH-1350MPG Head Unit, Powervox 500watt 4 Channel Amp, Aerpro Hi/Lo Audio level converter, Pioneer 10" Sub Woofer

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:44 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Good News, took my car to ford here and they sent a mechanic with me for a test drive to feel the issues i was describing, after the test drive and the mechanic confirming that the issue was within the drivetrain, they offered to put her on the hoist to see the drivetrain and see exactly what the issue may be, took one look and i think we`ve found the issue (yet to be confirmed) The bushes on both rear control arms are almost completly missing. he showed me the affect it would have and well the diff is just flapping around in the breeze so to speak, there was way too much movement in the back end and from his point of view because there is so much movement in the backend the diff is bouncing around and placing the tranny under pressure and causing the vibration. Im gonna go to pedders tomorrow and try to get it replaced ASAP as its a real danger with no control arms working at all to keep the diff in place. I have high hopes that this is the cause of my issues but of course cannot be certain until the bushes are replaced.If im able to get them replaced tmoz i`ll report back and let you know how it went

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Yeah sounds like something that should be fixed lol. If there are no bushes there, the driveshaft could be hitting the tunnel which you'd be able to see with marks.

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

NSW, Australia

290,000 km mine has
got new suspension today and the vibration in my car is less noticable .
but when in gear the car annoying vibrates unless you are moving.
it will miss everynow and then on idle, lags under first accel when cold,
other than that its isnt really lacking.

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:48 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

most falcs with about low to mid 200xxxkms on them will definatly need the control arms changed. bushes wear, thats what they are designed to do. Change em. its a saftey issue.

I have a car.

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: VY Commodore Wagon Accli

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
DoddEA wrote:
BenJ wrote:
OK, I will be the dummy and ask, why can't you get into your boot?

BenJ

Time for a thread revival? Locked in the boot anyone?

Wasn't that thread revived not long ago?

Should make a sticky with best posts of FM.

To the issue at hand. It might be a good idea to change the transmission oil. Might also be tailshaft maybe?

phong =P~

Phong, you'd know if it was the tailshaft was out of balance or so because it would get worse and worse as you gathered speed.

However not long ago my tailshaft bolts came loose, and when it shuddered it was only in and out sort of thing, and you could feel it more so when my little brother was whinging about it in the rear seat.

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Successful Trades with: John_XR6 (John_LS1), Private9, Schmee, Manari, Kyle_Bardell, Greenhorn (Boostedfalcon.net), FTG AUTO SALVAGE, EVL098, Gogetta, EFIII, Krytox, Blue, Smik-EL, TP351.

Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: FALCON EB TURBO, EL XR6

NSW, Australia

If the bushes are fkd in the control arms your diff angle will be altering and changing your pinion incline. This is a classic mod for setting suspension for the drag strip but if not done right the diff will shudder between 140-160, so yours must be flexing allot! and getting some bad angles :shock:

FALCAHOLIC

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED
DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU EVEN TRIED

Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:23 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Solved....Just finally finished, i had issues with both left and ride control arms bolting into the chassis. The Left one hit my redback muffler for the 2 1/4 exhaust but i managed to get around that and thought right the left is gonna be a sinch.....wrong. The brake lines are bolted over the top of the bolt head on the inner side of the chassis, i had to undo 3-4 tek screws and move the brake line just enough to get the head of the bolt over it to pull it out. The bolt are a B#%+^ to line up, thats what took the longest time.
Took her for a test drive after fitting and all vibrations are gone and it no longer clunks in the back end. It even feels better to drive so im gonna keep her and work a bit more on the body and other issues i have. At the end of the day im just glad that it was a transmission issue.

Thanx to everyone that provided information, your advice was much appreciated.

Important Information.

The Bushes are a pressed item so they are not a swap in and out job.
You can have the bushes removed and repressed but it isnt worth the money to do as you will pay through your pocket for the labor, apparently they take a bit to remove and repress.
I tried to get a quote from ford on the control arms with bushes and was told these are now obsolete (Ford Falcon EF Futura 1994) if anyone has the same issues on the same model car you will most likley be unable to purchase these from ford direct, i don't know about different states but you cannot get them in Victoria.
I managed to get a pair from Repco, they are made by a company called Nolethane and they cost me $352 incl GST

Ive included some picks of what the old control arm bushes looked after removing and pictures of them next to the new one, yes i know i was like ZOMG as well

Attachments:
DSC00687.JPG
DSC00687.JPG [ 69 KiB | Viewed 1118 times ]
DSC00686.JPG
DSC00686.JPG [ 51.47 KiB | Viewed 1126 times ]
DSC00684.JPG
DSC00684.JPG [ 51.47 KiB | Viewed 1124 times ]
DSC00683.JPG
DSC00683.JPG [ 53.26 KiB | Viewed 1138 times ]
DSC00682.JPG
DSC00682.JPG [ 40.75 KiB | Viewed 1124 times ]

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

still gonna wreck it :P
i have nolathane ones ready to go in my car
i hope it fecken fixes my vibration
thanx for sharing

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:52 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Nah mate, was only gonna wreck if the issue was the Transmission, shes a keeper being something fairly simple, still a bit of dough but better than needing a new Tranny

Post subject: Re: Strange Vibrations or shudders
Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:00 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ef futura

QLD, Australia

hey guys i have ef futura and i have the same symptoms as you guys lyk vibrating and s**t how can i check if its the bushes

ef futura in the process of doin her up nice and neat it will be

Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:24 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

Look under the back of the car where the control arms come from the chassis and bolt to the bottom of the Diff, Its best to do this with the back end up of the ground.

The last pic above is the left hand side control arm and where it is bolted

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

largey wrote:
hey guys i have ef futura and i have the same symptoms as you guys lyk vibrating and s**t how can i check if its the bushes

$26 steering and suspension check at pedders.
or take it to ford for a free qoute.

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: FALCON EB TURBO, EL XR6

NSW, Australia

Holy frigging f*%ked bushes batman :shock:

FALCAHOLIC

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED
DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU EVEN TRIED

Sort by