Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Stroking 6 Cylinder
Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: 1997 EL XR6

Power: 180 rwkw

VIC, Australia

It's a bit of a stupid question, but I got into a fight with my father in law in regards to whether it's possible to stroke a 6 cylinder. So obviously my question is it possible?

MGW Short Throw Shifter, CVE Cam, CVE Head, SS Big Mouth Air Intake, Pacemaker Headers, 3" Exhaust, 3" Varex, 3" Cat, 19" Silver Agents, EMS Stinger 4424, 42lb Injectors and Walbro 255lb Fuel Pump

Next: Pacemaker Comps, 6 Individual Throttle Bodies, ICE Coil and ignition

Post subject: Re: Stroking 6 Cylinder
Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Six wrote:
It's a bit of a stupid question, but I got into a fight with my father in law in regards to whether it's possible to stroke a 6 cylinder. So obviously my question is it possible?

Back in the day, they used to use a Ford 221 crank in a 202 Holden to make a 232 to 235 cube donk.
They had to cut off the flywheel flange end and put the Holden one on....and I think they had to clearence the block (where the sump bolts on), bottoms of the bores, and the camshaft too......just don't hear about that stuff anymore.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:44 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

Yes it is.... Crescent motor sport did a 4.5 stroker and a 4.2 stroker.. Costs are high so popularity is low.
I think the killer is for the same money you built a big power turbo.

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

From memeory the Crescent engines wern't stroked, they were bored. If they went any further than the 4.5 they started hitting water jackets.

The 4.0 is a stroked 3.3, I'm pretty sure they are close to a reliable stroke limit in 4.0 config. Joe might have squeezed maybe a mm tops out of the 4.0 factory stroke, but I would bet a nut not much more.

Already a long stroke undersquare engine.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:48 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

Grimketel wrote:
From memeory the Crescent engines wern't stroked, they were bored. If they went any further than the 4.5 they started hitting water jackets.

The 4.0 is a stroked 3.3, I'm pretty sure they are close to a reliable stroke limit in 4.0 config. Joe might have squeezed maybe a mm tops out of the 4.0 factory stroke, but I would bet a nut not much more.

the cms engines are bored and stroked.with custom ground cranks. there is no way you could even bore a 4.0 to 4.2 without changing the stroke...

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Grimketel wrote:

The stroke isn't that long compared the 5.4 and even the factory large capacity Honda 4 cyls have a longer stroke. (and a rev a good 1500 - 2000rpm higher)

The CMS engines used offset ground cranks with a rod from a particular Jap 6 cyl engine which was shorter and had a smaller big end to allow for the offset grind.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]