Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII Ghia

mmm map sensor thanks guys have a few more things to check

Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

I just fixed my ED motor hunting.. it was so bad that it would stall sometimes.. (ever since I put the EL ECU in)

I basically cleaned out the ISC and upped the base idle.. (which on the EA/ED manifold turns out to be under where the throttle cable links up to the manifold.)

It now sits more or less just under 800ish rpm...

good stuff.

Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:37 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL Futura

QLD, Australia

I got mine reasonable with the adjustment screw on the throttle body. To get the best adjustment I got my old man to help and we waited untill the thermos were kicked in, then turned the a/c on and I adjusted the screw while Dad sat in the car and moved the steering wheel back and forth while watching what was going on on the tacho. I wouldn't say it's perfect but it's definately alot better and it dosn't stall so easily.

I was starting to look into aftermaket ecu's because I assumed the stock auto ecu wasn't keeping up running a manual with lightened flyweel and bigger cam. So far that's all i've done to make it a bit more bearible but I don't drive the car very often so I havn't looked any further. Cold starts are still terrible and it will stall everytime untill it comes up to temperature; I'm hoping some slightly hotter plugs will help then maybe clean the isc and rig up a vac gauge to see what's ging on. I havn't tried blocking the isc though, might give it some thught.

Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I just discovered something appalling on my ED motor..

I've never had the intake manifold off, but figured since I already had a 10mm tube socket and rachet handy, I'd check the intake manifold bolts and see if they were tight..

To my horror, every single one of them was finger tight..

Once I'd tightened them all with the a 10mm ringy on top and the longest extension on a 10mm tube socket for a few of the harder bottom ones, she idles much better now..

That means it's been sucking a heap of air and the O2 sensor would have added more fuel accordingly so I've probably had really crap economy for awhile now.. not to mention the crap idle.

Seems to have a bit less of a flat spot off idle now also.

I recommend everyone that has a EA-ED go and check their intake manifold bolts.. it would appear that the factory setup has touble staying tight..

I'm going to make sure the EL ones are locktighted in.

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

frankieh wrote:
I just discovered something appalling on my ED motor..

I've never had the intake manifold off, but figured since I already had a 10mm tube socket and rachet handy, I'd check the intake manifold bolts and see if they were tight..

To my horror, every single one of them was finger tight..

Once I'd tightened them all with the a 10mm ringy on top and the longest extension on a 10mm tube socket for a few of the harder bottom ones, she idles much better now..

That means it's been sucking a heap of air and the O2 sensor would have added more fuel accordingly so I've probably had really crap economy for awhile now.. not to mention the crap idle.

Seems to have a bit less of a flat spot off idle now also.

I recommend everyone that has a EA-ED go and check their intake manifold bolts.. it would appear that the factory setup has touble staying tight..

I'm going to make sure the EL ones are locktighted in.

i thought i might check mine to my surpise most of mine were finger tight to!!!! got be buggered how the whole lot was still attatched, have managed to tighted them all except the last bottom 2 art the back need a hoist me thinks

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: XW, EL, Territory, VFR800

Power: 129 rwkw

SA, Australia

Fix the problem??

Just curious as mine's been doing the same thing for a while now. I've replaced injectors and fuel filter and no change... I'll check my manifold bolts... :roll:

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

theres a doco around here somewhere about capacitors in the ECU that you can change.

it smooths out the output from what the computer needs and sends the signal to the ISC.

try that

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

well after tightening the bolts i could reach, when i first started it it hunted but i guess the computer had to get new data then it stopped, gone up the street and to the shops a few times and it hasn't hunted when sitting and idling "so far" seems a bit smoother to

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I think I am still sucking a tiny bit of air somewhere.. I used to have a spray can of blue stuff somewhere that you sprayed around the gasket while the engine was running and it would get sucked into the gaps and seal them..

can't remember what it was called though.. I really want another can.. that stuff was great..

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:06 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL Futura

QLD, Australia

After reading this, I checked the bolts on the inlet manifold and mine were all loose aswell. I had the headgasket done about 30000 km's ago so maybe it would have been good practice to check the bolts after a few weeks to see they were still tight. I didn't take any notice but now that I think of it, I don't recall seeing any spring washers. I'd go outside and have a look but it's cold out there.

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

yeah.. someone should put it in a sticky note as it seems that its pretty common.

I checked my EL motor today and it's bolts where not particularly tight either, but nowhere near as loose as the ED motor.

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

mmm an epidemic

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:00 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XC GXL

WA, Australia

They all bloody hunt at idle. Clean the white crusty stuff off the inside of the dizzy cap where the rotor passes but youll never quite fix it.Try a wider plug gap as well between 1.1 and 1.3 mm.

XC GXL 5.8: 14.1 @ 99MPH. Thank you to Jimbos alchoholic uncle for the short motor. It goes alright now mate.

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1992 EBII Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Tom Davey wrote:
They all bloody hunt at idle. Clean the white crusty stuff off the inside of the dizzy cap where the rotor passes but youll never quite fix it.Try a wider plug gap as well between 1.1 and 1.3 mm.

You'd be far better off buying a new Bosch dizzy cap and rotor for $35.

I bought them from Bursons and it made my idle much smoother.
Also check your leads and spark plugs.

Posted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

yeap well days gone its still not hunting, i still need to tightnen the ones up the back that i couldn't reach , the idle is so much smoother it used to be very rough then hunt while idling but is a lot smoother, very happy as it was really starting to piss me off

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next