Fordmods Logo

sugguestions for more accl. in EB II ? 

Page 3 of 4 [ 46 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: sugguestions for more accl. in EB II ?
Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

+1 for diff gears.

the first ratio is too high and makes the car feel gutless until you get moving. for 400 quid you should be able to get a set of gears and put them in if you have a bit of nouse.

your best options are 3.45, 3.7, 3.89. others will say 4.11s, but from my experience with 3.89s I personally wouldnt want any more highways revs on a daily driver. with 3.89s i hit 100kmh at the top of second, so 0-100 times were quite good.

Problem is you will need to get the speedo signal corrected with anything over a 3.45 ratio. I was limited to 135kmh without a speedo correction, as the car thought it was doing 180 and hit the cutout. Going with a 3.45 you can get the sensor off an xr6 auto which will give you a correct speed. The downside is the 3.45's wont give you the punch off the line that the 3.7 or 3.89 will. with the 3.89s pacey comps and 2.5inch exhaust I ran my mates vt clubby to 110 and I had him by a bonnetlength. Cant stress how much a difference in takeoff they made.

enough isn't enough

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:28 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 93 eb2 falcon

QLD, Australia

well ive finished my thermo fan conversion, works great!
now im going for the BBM conversion,so far ive got the manifold and throttle body(no isc), injectors and fuel rail, EL ecu (eec-v), map sensor.
i know i need a EL accl. cable, intake tubing and isc.

is there anything else that's essential to the mod? i have looked all over and have found a few forums of people who have done the conversion on other models, but nothing that really helps with my EBII
is there anyone who has done this and could offer advice? it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

You need to get the two metal heater pipes from an EF/EL.

The large one goes from the back of the water pump, under the exhaust manifold, around the back of the head and under the back of the BBM. The front one comes out of the lower thermostate housing.

You will also need EF/EL heater hoses. as they are all different and the EF/EL upper thermostat housing and top radiator hose?

Don't forget you will need to mod your EB log manifold injector loom to fit the BBM and the plugs for ISC and TPS may be different.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

trying t advance the timing on my EBII, where th F$#K in the hold down bolt on the dizzy, the manual says the base of the dizzy but i cant find it at all?!?

Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:37 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: ED XR6, AUII XR8

VIC, Australia

Theres a little bracket that holds the dizzy in place, It sits to the rear of the dizzy on the block. Just loosen that with a 13mm socket and extension.

ED XR6, LeMans Red, 5-Speed
AUII XR8, Silhouette, 5-Speed

Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

ranio wrote:
trying t advance the timing on my EBII, where th F$#K in the hold down bolt on the dizzy, the manual says the base of the dizzy but i cant find it at all?!?

Hiding under the HT leads.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:01 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

cjh wrote:
ranio wrote:

Hiding under the HT leads.

shyun wrote:
Theres a little bracket that holds the dizzy in place, It sits to the rear of the dizzy on the block. Just loosen that with a 13mm socket and extension.

ill give these a shot in the morning.
anybody know if the ebii isc will fit on the el throttle body? and is it possible to run the el ecu and map sensor i have in the eb now? i dunno if it will stuff the timing or anything else up(would this be a good substatute instead of adjusting the timing on the dizzy?)
im gunna take some pics and post em up when i make a new build thread for my EBII

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:28 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

The eb ISC will bolt straight on so you don't have to change the plug. The map sensor is pretty much identical. Only use the EL ECU if you're using the broadband and the timing on it is set at TDC (not on IGN) for an EL ECU.

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:44 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

shyun wrote:
The eb ISC will bolt straight on so you don't have to change the plug. The map sensor is pretty much identical. Only use the EL ECU if you're using the broadband and the timing on it is set at TDC (not on IGN) for an EL ECU.

I thought the timing was set a the dizzy then the ecu automaticly adjusted it while driving?

i heard from a mate that i need an el rocker cover to do the bbm mod due to some bracket that holds the accl. cable, is this true or is there a way around it?

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:29 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Well you set the base timing with the distributor then the computer adds timing due to the detected load to give the total advance. The El timing is based off 0 degrees advance rather than 10, so the ECU adds more timing than the EB ECU does.
The accelerator cable has 2 holes on the rocker cover, ones for a pin to locate the cable brakcet and another is a hole for a bolt. You'd probably have to tap a thread to locate a bolt on the rocker cover and drill another hole for the locating pin. But that sounds kinda dodgy so might wanna use EL rocker cover:P

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:47 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

...bugga!
cheers mate for the info, and that does sound dodgy so ill look intothe cost of a rocka this arvo!
agian ...bugga... hate it when that smart a** mate of mine is right!

Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

You can also use an AU rocker cover as it also has the mount points for the cables. You will also need the rocker cover bolts and rubber seals to go with the EL or AU rocker covers.

In addition, if you are fitting the later rocker covers to an early head, have a close look at the half moon. On the early heads the edge of the half moon is a right angle, but on the late ED onwards heads the edge is rounded. While they will still fit, they can be more prone to leaking.

You will also need the correct rocker cover gasket to match the newer rockers.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

BenJ wrote:
You can also use an AU rocker cover as it also has the mount points for the cables. You will also need the rocker cover bolts and rubber seals to go with the EL or AU rocker covers.

In addition, if you are fitting the later rocker covers to an early head, have a close look at the half moon. On the early heads the edge of the half moon is a right angle, but on the late ED onwards heads the edge is rounded. While they will still fit, they can be more prone to leaking.

You will also need the correct rocker cover gasket to match the newer rockers.

Cheers
BenJ

righto ill keep an eye out for that!

Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

ACT, Australia

Grimketel wrote:
+1 for diff gears.

the first ratio is too high and makes the car feel gutless until you get moving. for 400 quid you should be able to get a set of gears and put them in if you have a bit of nouse.

your best options are 3.45, 3.7, 3.89. others will say 4.11s, but from my experience with 3.89s I personally wouldnt want any more highways revs on a daily driver. with 3.89s i hit 100kmh at the top of second, so 0-100 times were quite good.

Problem is you will need to get the speedo signal corrected with anything over a 3.45 ratio. I was limited to 135kmh without a speedo correction, as the car thought it was doing 180 and hit the cutout. Going with a 3.45 you can get the sensor off an xr6 auto which will give you a correct speed. The downside is the 3.45's wont give you the punch off the line that the 3.7 or 3.89 will. with the 3.89s pacey comps and 2.5inch exhaust I ran my mates vt clubby to 110 and I had him by a bonnetlength. Cant stress how much a difference in takeoff they made.

A guy is interested in buying my EA II LSD with 3.45:1 gears and fitting it to his EA II GL auto, where is this sensor? On the side of the 4spd? So need to get this sensor or Jaycar corrector.. which is easier / cheaper?

I like boost
http://www.venomexhaustworks.com.au

Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NA Fairlane, DC LTD

NT, Australia

locknut wrote:
Grimketel wrote:
+1 for diff gears.

Holey Moley!!!!
At 135kmh and the car thinks 180!!
I never actually realized how much of a difference the ratio could make!

What was your original ratio?
I have the standard 2.somthing LSD diff but I had a 3.27 I think it was open wheeler.
I wanna get a decent boost in acceleration but still want to be able to cruise at 110 without chewing fuel.

[color=#004080]Cheers, Jacob.

NA Fairlane Build thread:
the-garage-f53/my-fairlane-build-lowlane-t94891.html.
Also in the garage....
AU LTD, DC LTD, and Lowlane.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next