Fordmods Logo

Super Hard Clutch... what can I do? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Super Hard Clutch... what can I do?
Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:46 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

As part of my manual conversion I had a new clutch installed and I am aware of the hardness of some Falcon clutches but with the clutch the way it is at the moment it is almost impossible to take off. Changing through gears isnt too bad and because I'm accustomed to hard Falcon clutches I only have minor trouble driving it but it should not be as hard as it is. My girlfriend stalled it twice before I pulled her out of the driver's seat. I need to do something about it, something to soften it a bit. Is there ANYTHING I can do?

Now I know that having installed a reco gearbox as well as a new clutch it's going to take some time before everything is worn in but even then I'm sure it will still be hard as... do I just have to keep biting the bullet or can I turn the bullet into chewy somehow?

Cheers guys

Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:14 am 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL XR6

QLD, Australia

did u install just a new clutch or a complete clutch kit (including thrust bearing)?
Is the cable new?
Has the firewall cracked?

Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: TS40

VIC, Australia

what clutch have you fitted... (Brand and standard replacement or heavy duty...?

Was - 2001 AUIII Ford Falcon Forte
Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

Now - 2012 FG Mk2 Ford Falcon XR6
Swift Green,6 Speed Auto, Stock... and a Fuel Card :)

Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:01 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

nope you will just have to live with it, you will adapt, let me guess its got a large d-tent in the action? That as in you release the clutch nice and slow and it feels like there is a moment in its travel that you can feel it reach maximum pressure then the presure is gone.

Only way to get rid of that and turn it into something soft and mushy like that of a pulsar is take it out, sounds like you have a HD pressure plate and HD spring setup on the actual clutch. the clutch springs can be changed out, for softer ones, most clutch places worth their mustard can do this for you, but the pressure plate, well your stuck with that "Pop" D-Tent unless you get new fingers installed, and that is not worth it.

I know you want a hydraulic clutch setup, can be done, not worth the hassle of doing, Falcon clutches are pretty strong items, I've busted a few, but its been 1500Kg pressure plates and 1300kg clutch spring setups with organic blend plates and brass riveted or brass button as they are also known. Strong mongrels, but track abuse tends to take its toll, either end up warping or bending the fingers.

I have a car.

Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:04 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

BTW its not an exceedy by chance is it? the HD "xr" speced ones? these are to heavy for falcons without firewall reinforcement, If not reinforced it will start to creak then finally crack the firewall.

I have a car.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]