Fordmods Logo

supercharged i6 versus 5.0L V8 

Page 4 of 5 [ 68 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF XR6

SA, Australia

... it seems every new product brings him an extra RWKW or 0.1 of the q/m time.

Not lost any demerit points

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 34 images

Ride: BF MK11 XR 6 TURBO ZF 6spd

Power: 225 rwkw

NSW, Australia

MYLO_XR6 wrote:
all in all, they are BOTH great street motors, but the 4 Litre is easyer to work on....anyway, if you want to get more power, the bigger the better... although you can get a el/ef sixer in the 13's i havent yet seen it at the tracks, as everone cant be stuffed spending the money on machining work, billet and alloy internals, etc... people would rather spend it on something that makes abit more sense (a V8).....DONT GET ME WRONG ive got a BA sixer, and i reckon theyre fkn powerful C***, but at the end of the day, if i got a V8 at the lights next to me, I DONT BOTHER!!!
with my new combo going in soon..185 rwks in total...i will be trying my damndest to crack an elusive 13.99999 i also note my 14.67 was with a crappy single spinner diff..soon aswell to be changed to the 3.45 lsd xr diff at the same time as the engine is upgraded... which is this weekend...

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

revhead wrote:
Owning a V8 is like a religion, you want an 8 other wise you'd buy a 6. Technology has done great things for the 6 but there are die hards like myself tha just love the thump of a nice V8 buy what suits you.
i know what the feeling of some commo 5 litres have felt when they raced me..... "owned"..... by a ford six.... lol :lol:

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

revhead wrote:
Owning a V8 is like a religion, you want an 8 other wise you'd buy a 6. Technology has done great things for the 6 but there are die hards like myself tha just love the thump of a nice V8 buy what suits you.
they have been owned/snapped.. by me!! hehe! love the way u set that up for me... :lol: :wink:

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

fordfreak ef wrote:
revhead wrote:
i know what the feeling of some commo 5 litres have felt when they raced me..... "owned"..... by a ford six.... lol :lol:

Oh comeon did you race grandpa in a vc with a 253 under the bonnet. Thats not fair!
I dont like holdungns either but a late model V8 should eat you

ef fairmont ghia 5.0L
classy cruiser

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:19 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Fairlane

NSW, Australia

I got cut when old mate Barra 182 with his 2 kids and his wife in a BA Fairmont i6 was only a car length or so behind me racing up a dual divided hill from the set of lights.

TEAM FAT RACING

TEAM LWB

Copyright (c) 2006 Landbarge Racing. FAIRLANE and COBRA are registered trademarks owned and licenced by Ford Motor Company.

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

revhead wrote:
fordfreak ef wrote:
revhead wrote:

Oh comeon did you race grandpa in a vc with a 253 under the bonnet. Thats not fair!
I dont like holdungns either but a late model V8 should eat you
the ls1s n ls2 yeah.... 5.0litres ford or holden are pretty fair game though... correct me if im wrong but dont the ba's in stock form v8s do 14s??? n holdung v8s high 13s=14s??? if u getn beatn by a v8 while driving a six- its like "doesnt matter..was a v8/bigger engine anyway"... but its so much fun/the challenge making a six beat "big brother" that makes the six appealing... along without the insurance hassles as long as its na...

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon 95

VIC, Australia

Quote:
the ls1s n ls2 yeah.... 5.0litres ford or holden are pretty fair game though... correct me if im wrong but dont the ba's in stock form v8s do 14s??? n holdung v8s high 13s=14s??? if u getn beatn by a v8 while driving a six- its like "doesnt matter..was a v8/bigger engine anyway"... but its so much fun/the challenge making a six beat "big brother" that makes the six appealing... along without the insurance hassles as long as its na...

exactly right, LS1's etc and Boss 5.4's are capable of 13's stock or with a little work, but the 5.0L's are fair game, most of them are piss weak really. the 220KW Series III AU XR8 was a good one, the TS50 (but that was stroked) and the 215kw stroker VS GTS (also stroked). ELXR8 s. 2 was alright, and the 185-195 holden 5.0's wernt sluggish, but certainly not lightning quick either.

I've lined up VP/VN 5.0L's, VR 5.0L's, statesman 5.0Ls and an auto and manual VT 5.L and either beaten or sat beside all of em up to 120.

Cougar Zero makes my pants fit nice.

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:01 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Fairlane

NSW, Australia

They (ford) made the engines dead boring and crap so that we can all individualize our motors and boast about who's got what etc...Back in the 60's you could walk into a dealer like a kid in a toystore and option up to edlebrock dual quad carbs, 429 big block, optional brakes etc...Thank goodness for aftermarket and interchangable items

TEAM FAT RACING

TEAM LWB

Copyright (c) 2006 Landbarge Racing. FAIRLANE and COBRA are registered trademarks owned and licenced by Ford Motor Company.

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Futura

SA, Australia

My mates 5.0L statesman is no match for my i6. His comeback was "Its a cruiser, not a racer" Which is excactally right.

Sounds better than the i6 though :|

5 Speed EL Futura
Stock as a rock*
A1 Oils - Synthetic lubricants: www.a1oils.com.au
* A rock that has been Alted

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 1994 ED Ricer

WA, Australia

lol
ive chopped s**t of 5.0ls. and even the odd gen 3 with a COMPLETELY CLULESS DRIVER!! dont matter if he f**k the start a wins a win :P

i want a v8 one day but it will have more then 350 cubes :P

Im sure if someone had hte money to spend on an auto ea with an au engine they could rip a 13 easy. sjust need a c4 with a stage 3 shift, stallie, spool, and worked motor(13second mock spec). AUtos will always be better in drag racing, its just that btr autos r slugs.

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

I gotta say reading this thread for the first time Im really supprised to hear that I6's are getting the better of just about any V8, stock for stock. When I used to have my ED, I guess I got close a few times, but really like has already been said, if it was a V8 I didnt bother.

I think perhaps a comparison between a modern I6 and an old V8 (351C) would be a good example of what the I6 lacks, cheap to purchase, cheap to mod, decent power out of the box, easy to work on (old push rod motors are great for mucking around in) and the bang for buck mods they have are great! + the lend them selfs to supercharg'ing and turbo'ing (not so much turbo'ing, but u get the idea) very well.

An I6 would not stand a chance against a 25 year old V8, modern V8's are too fiddly and cost too much for what they are (IMOH), for the modders on a budget an old V8 is the way to go.

I couldnt fix your brakes so I made your horn louder

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Soarer 2.5GT-T

VIC, Australia

That's why an XD with a worked 351 is a popular choice. It comes down to whether you want refinement and new style luxury or the old rough as guts raw power v8s.
I'm perfectly happy with my ELXR6, it's got good aircon, power windows, lsd, abs, handles well and if i get it into the 14s its a quick street car, and an underestimated one at that. With a big f**k off old school loud as lumpy v8 no one drags you cos if they know anythign you got some good equipment under the bonnet.

Still I wouldn't say the newer v8s are that expensive. Bloke in another car club i'm in has a vx ss with a $6000 drive in drive out head and cam package and he runs flat 11s (some of you guys may know him).
IMO with the E series the v8 has more potential that is easier to obtain (even tho i love my 6)... but with the brand new beasts (ie. typhoon) there doesn't seem to be a big difference between the two, factory vs factory.

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:50 am 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

the 60's and 70's sound like the good old days...THESEDAYS, the mechanic with his white labcoat and NERD glasses plugs in his laptop to find the problem with the car..WTF!?!?

Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon 95

VIC, Australia

Quote:
Back in the 60's you could walk into a dealer like a kid in a toystore and option up to edlebrock dual quad carbs, 429 big block, optional brakes etc...Thank goodness for aftermarket and interchangable items

i was under the impression that there was no australian car ever sold with a big block??

Cougar Zero makes my pants fit nice.

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 5  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next