Fordmods Logo

swap 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: swap
Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL xr6

VIC, Australia

quick question on the topic of changing motors in the car.lets say i want to fit an au xr6 motor in my el xr6, is the wiring loom still the same? do i have to change the computer? will it bolt onto my original gear box? and ive also read somewhere on the forum that you dont need to modify the sump you can just fit the timing chain cover and sump off the old el motor, is this true? im looking at either swapping motors or just recoing my motor as i have a big problem with my motor and i think that the vct au motor looks like the cheaper option to me at the moment.would it be hard to do my self?
cheers daniel

EL xr6,standard a** au motor,hi-tech headers, 2 1/2inch red back,,Tikky kitted and wingless,Black GT-P's,on ultra lows and still too high

My Build: the-garage-f53/daniels-el-xr6-build-t100586.html

Post subject: Re: swap
Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

Yes it is possible. Is it for you ?

Have a read around some of the build threads and the sticky threads in this forum. Troyman has done the vct conversion iirc and posted most of his efforts along with a few others for people to read.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:42 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

quote="wild-el"

quick question on the topic of changing motors in the car.lets say i want to fit an au xr6 motor in my el xr6,

Q) is the wiring loom still the same?
A) You us ethe loom from your existing car.

Q) do i have to change the computer?
A) You use the EL Comp. You will need to fit the Dizzy from your EL to the AU motor. Recommend that you use the gear from the AU Oil Drive adaptor, where you dizzy goes and fit to your dizzy. That way gear match.

Q) will it bolt onto my original gear box?
A) Yes but 2 bolts on the bell housing will not line up. Is not an issue but if you can get an AU Bellhousing all the better.

Q) and ive also read somewhere on the forum that you dont need to modify the sump you can just fit the timing chain cover and sump off the old el motor, is this tru?
A) NO IT IS NOT. you need to modify the sump, which is legal or cut the subframe which is not. Don't believe anything that Shane Falcon Futura wrote.

There are a few threads about fitting AU motors to E series, do a search on google, it's easier than the search here. Sorry Brad but its true.

Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL xr6

VIC, Australia

thanks mate.ive decided to just go with the standard au xr6 and not vct fitted for 1150bucks lol would of cost me at least $1200 just to do the head gasket without even checking anything else..

EL xr6,standard a** au motor,hi-tech headers, 2 1/2inch red back,,Tikky kitted and wingless,Black GT-P's,on ultra lows and still too high

My Build: the-garage-f53/daniels-el-xr6-build-t100586.html

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]