Fordmods Logo

Tell Tale signs of a Headgasket about to go??? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Tell Tale signs of a Headgasket about to go???
Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: VY Commodore Wagon Accli

VIC, Australia

Hey Guy's/Girls,

My Car, and ED Fairmont, has for a while now never had as much oil Pressure as it used to, it's on the dull low side and has been like that for abit (it was much higher when I bought the car in June/July 08), that's one problem though.

Another Problem that has just recently accured, is that the Idle is no abit shakey/rough, Although Moving is fine, now miss fire while the car is under revs, it's just shakey rough when you put the car into D or Reverse (I have never had this problem with the ED Before).

Also Another Problem thats just accured is that the car is now using Coolant, I haven't sourced where it's going yet, but I think thats a job for this weekend before Tuesday (The Front end is getting painted to Cobalt Blue instead of Le Man's Red).

Soo, are those 3 problems a tell tale sign of a headgasket about to go? or are these possibly 3 seperate problems on their own????

Happily awaiting on input :),

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Successful Trades with: John_XR6 (John_LS1), Private9, Schmee, Manari, Kyle_Bardell, Greenhorn (Boostedfalcon.net), FTG AUTO SALVAGE, EVL098, Gogetta, EFIII, Krytox, Blue, Smik-EL, TP351.

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

quick tests

Compressions
water in oil? (turns white)
Rusty plugs
hydrocarbon test in the coolant

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Quick Question, whats a hydrocarbon test in the coolant??

I was thinking of possibly borrowing a Coolant Pressure Tester and see how that goes?

I'll do a Compression Test, I'll check the Oil (from memory the oil is in good nic, but I'll check again), and I'll check the plugs.

Thanks Fifty :)

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Successful Trades with: John_XR6 (John_LS1), Private9, Schmee, Manari, Kyle_Bardell, Greenhorn (Boostedfalcon.net), FTG AUTO SALVAGE, EVL098, Gogetta, EFIII, Krytox, Blue, Smik-EL, TP351.

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

hydro test checks for hydrocarbons in the coolant (eg there fuel vapor aka 'hydrocabon' in there.)

sometimes you can even smell it. i know theres a little gauge mechanics use. there might be little strips you can drop in and look to change colour

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Just to add to the Idle part in the first post, the When I start the car in the morning, the car idles rough throughout the rev range until the car warms up, after that it's rough at D/R Idle until you start moving, then the car doesn't sound like it's miss-firing.

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Post subject: Re: Tell Tale signs of a Headgasket about to go???
Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Right, I've checked the oil, it is black with a bit additives left in it for the engine to use.

The coolant is dissapearing from the overflow hose behind the R/F Wheel.

Looking at another thread started by TURBOFAIRMONT, I have extractors with a heatshield, the coolant bottle is brown, but I'm not sure how to determine if the radiator cap is rooted.

I have also just noticed that the ball in the PVC valve is no longer rattling like it used to (was rattling about a month or so ago), I've been told that the PVC Ball should be rattling, could this be my idling problem?

Thanks

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

if the idle improves all of a sudden (eg when the motor leaves open loop mode once warm) its a sensor prob. if it gradually improves, its more likely a gasket.

check the press cap by just looking at the rubber seal on it. if it looks s**t, replace it. usually the spring tension is ok

and the PCV should rattle. replace it. might be an idea to swap out the IAT too (if ED's have those) as once they get covered in oil and s**t they're not much good. if the PCV has gone, fair chance the throttlebody is full of s**t. give it a good wipe clean. that might get you out of it :wink:

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

fiftyone wrote:
if the idle improves all of a sudden (eg when the motor leaves open loop mode once warm) its a sensor prob. if it gradually improves, its more likely a gasket.

check the press cap by just looking at the rubber seal on it. if it looks s**t, replace it. usually the spring tension is ok

and the PCV should rattle. replace it. might be an idea to swap out the IAT too (if ED's have those) as once they get covered in oil and s**t they're not much good. if the PCV has gone, fair chance the throttlebody is full of s**t. give it a good wipe clean. that might get you out of it :wink:

As far as I know, the idle doesn't all of a sudden improve, but I will check for that.

Thats what I thought, the PVC should rattle... Question, what does that do? :?.. and whats the IAT: :? :? :?.,

I'll check the pressure cap now.

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

SpeedyED wrote:
fiftyone wrote:

As far as I know, the idle doesn't all of a sudden improve, but I will check for that.

Thats what I thought, the PVC should rattle... Question, what does that do? :?.. and whats the IAT: :? :? :?.,

I'll check the pressure cap now.

IAT = intake air temp sensor

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thanks, I'll go down to Burson's on Monday and price a PVC Valve and I'll check the workshop manual if I have an IAT.

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

talk to FTG salvage. see if you can get a AU pcv one. pimp the sponcer and save cash mate.

and make sure you make sure that throttle body isnt too gummed up seeings the pcv is dead.

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Is it better to get a brand new one? what is the difference between ED and AU???? And I'm fairly certain that FTG and the burson's in Geelong won't be much difference in price, however I will ring and find out on Monday, also note that I can get discounts on items at Burson's.

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Au one should allow the fumes out better while keeping the oil in the head, not your TB

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Now I see :), well looking at my workshop manual it doesn't look as if it has an IAT, however there is a sensor (or 2, can't tell till tomorrow).

Pre AU Adapters for sale

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EFII Fairmont

WA, Australia

Take the heat shield off and have a look in between the cyclinders where the head gasket is.
You might see tell tale signs of weeping, dribbling, orange white, green area's that have gotten hot on the pipes in the area, where coolant has been spraying.

I've got that between 5 and 6 cylinder. Oil hasn't mixed with the water as yet, just that the coolant slowly goes away over a couple of months. And rough idle when at lights etc.
It's been like that for a year now and hasn't gotten worse at all.
I'll either get a new car or fix it in the next 4-months.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next