Fordmods Logo

Temp Sensor on ED 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Temp Sensor on ED
Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford

VIC, Australia

Ok, Here's one for ya's....Hoping someone can help.
My ED idles rough when it has reached proper operating temperature. Of a morning it starts and idles perfectly.....It also drives perfectly no matter what the temperature is, But idles a bit rough when it has warmed up.
Could it have anything to do with the temp sensor?
Cheers :D

Post subject: Re: Temp Sensor on ED
Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:17 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Fairlane Concorde 4.0

NSW, Australia

If your refering to the coolant sensor then I guess it could be. I'd probably look for a crook high tension lead first. They can play up after they get hot and things expand. Get a multimeter on the ohms setting, the leads shouldn't exceed 10k ohm in resistance each. The longer leads will have the higher resitance. Test each one from the dizzy cap end to the plug end. Look for signs of corrosion or heat damage at both ends of the lead. Stuffed leads are common on these models.

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Check for wear inthe dizzy shaft, burnt carbon brush in the dizzy cap, and cracks in the ignition coil. Check the Vacuum hose at the inlet manifold end for splits/perishing.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

alfy12 wrote:
If your refering to the coolant sensor then I guess it could be. I'd probably look for a crook high tension lead first. They can play up after they get hot and things expand. Get a multimeter on the ohms setting, the leads shouldn't exceed 10k ohm in resistance each. The longer leads will have the higher resitance. Test each one from the dizzy cap end to the plug end. Look for signs of corrosion or heat damage at both ends of the lead. Stuffed leads are common on these models.

Nah, not the coolant sensor.....The temperature sensor just below the thermostat housing.

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:19 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Sorry for my abbreviated terminology. Engine Coolant temp sensor is what I should have said. Have you confirmed that your leads are good and that your dizzy is in good nick? Would make sure they are ok before playing with ECT sensor.

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

alfy12 wrote:
Sorry for my abbreviated terminology. Engine Coolant temp sensor is what I should have said. Have you confirmed that your leads are good and that your dizzy is in good nick? Would make sure they are ok before playing with ECT sensor.

Leads are almost new, Dizzy and coil are pefect and I replaced the plugs last week. One thing I noticed today was when the temp gets to R of the Normal the idle starts to smooth out sometimes.
:?

Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:56 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Have you done a compression check lately? When was your head gasket last replaced? Does the car use any coolant?

Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

alfy12 wrote:
Have you done a compression check lately? When was your head gasket last replaced? Does the car use any coolant?

The head gasket was done approximately 2 years ago and it doesn't use any coolant. The local mechanic did a compression test on it 3 weeks ago and it was all good.

Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:58 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Have you cleaned the Idle speed control motor as per the instructions on this site? It may be running ok when cold because of a richer mixture (longer injection time) but may run bad when the mixture is leaner (warm). Here is the link. documents.php?d=23
Also when were the injectors cleaned last?

As for the ECT sensor, you should be able to remove it (you will loose some coolant) and carry out a resistance check at 25degrees and another at 100 degrees. Don't immerse the whole sensor in boiling water. Just the end and check the resistance readings. They are written in the gregory's/max ellery/factory manual.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]