Fordmods Logo

Temperature jumped up randomally! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Temperature jumped up randomally!
Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

went for a freeway cruise to check my economy..

cruise control on 100, dead flat bit of road instant economy was on 7-8 so thats about right... so my fuel issues must be under acceleration.

anyway, coming home got off the freeway and went local roads, not thrashing the car the temp guage jumped upto O on NORMAL... got home and let it idle for 3-4 mins in driveway and the temp didnt change at all, cut the engine, enabled dianostics and it said 107degrees!

it wasnt dropping while idling so i got the hose and spray the front of the car down briefly and a little squirt near the radiator.. only went down to about 104! so just stood back from the front of the car and made the hose spray into a fine mist on the front of the car and it took at least another 5 mins of this with the car idling to reach 95 degrees!

(its about 35 degrees outside atm)

now the thermostat is new.. the radiator was replaced about 1-2 years ago with a brand new one i think..

i think it may be my thermos, as when the temp was on the O they werent at full speed. after cranking the aircon to max cold and full fan speed and AC on, the fans went to full speed for about 1 min then turned off. both went back to just normal spinning with the temperature still on 100!

guess im looking to have to get the radiator cleaned out and get the thermos checked as they are obviously not coming on right?

on another note.. my economy is still on 18L/100km! ARGH

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

well just took it for a thrash after 3 hours of it sitting there and it didnt make it over 98 degrees so not sure wtf is going on..

on another note, was this loud knocking noise from the rear when i stopped with foot on the brake, couldnt replicate it though :?

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

Strange one. At least its cool now.

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

Maybe your thermostat is on its way out.

Instant Karma is gonna get you!

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

camh1980 wrote:

In the first post he says its new. Not likely that.

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Futura Wagon

QLD, Australia

May be temp sensor. You can test it by measuring the Ohms at different temps....Dunno the specs though.

cheers
Scott

If it doesn't fit, jam it. If that doesn't work use a hammer. - Engineers Motto

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:13 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: Falcon EBII

SA, Australia

camh1980 wrote:

Hey Camh1980

I got a new thermostat installed a few months ago and now my gauges read only just over the normal line (EB-S dash), i worried that ive got a dodgy honka'nies brand and im running too cool...

Has anybody tried the thermostats from BPT motorsport?

http://www.norcom.net.au/~bpt/Cooling%20System.htm

EBII 4.0L GLi|XR interiors/dash|Auto|Wade 1004-12|3.45 LSD|Tickford ECU|XH Snorkel/Green Cotton filter|EA TB Intake|PH4488|RB 2.5" Zorst|DoofDoof|Gauges|Tint|KS Lows|PDW RIMs 18"|JMM Spark/leads|144+ rwkw|15.88@88.39mph|EF Mirrors|ED XR6 Spoilers F/R|EF-EL THERMOS|EF Alternator Mod|SEE PIC

Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:26 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EBII T5

VIC, Australia

you talking the first line after cold? thats where mine sits, just above that line... when its a warm day (like the 40+ days we got) it manged to get 1/3 up the guage. nothing to worry about, means the radiator is doing its job..

mine has been doing this ever since the new engine and the totally cleaned out cooling system went in...

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Does anyone know if there is a separate relay for low speed and high speed on the thermos? If there is, it could be a relay that's on the way out.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:09 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: Falcon EBII

SA, Australia

Disturbed_Dave wrote:
you talking the first line after cold? thats where mine sits, just above that line... when its a warm day (like the 40+ days we got) it manged to get 1/3 up the guage. nothing to worry about, means the radiator is doing its job..

mine has been doing this ever since the new engine and the totally cleaned out cooling system went in...

pheww.... ;)

EBII 4.0L GLi|XR interiors/dash|Auto|Wade 1004-12|3.45 LSD|Tickford ECU|XH Snorkel/Green Cotton filter|EA TB Intake|PH4488|RB 2.5" Zorst|DoofDoof|Gauges|Tint|KS Lows|PDW RIMs 18"|JMM Spark/leads|144+ rwkw|15.88@88.39mph|EF Mirrors|ED XR6 Spoilers F/R|EF-EL THERMOS|EF Alternator Mod|SEE PIC

Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

Disturbed_Dave wrote:

Well no not really, mine sits, regardless of ambient temperature on the A of normal constantly, only ever rising from there if I am towing up a hill on a hot day.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Post subject: Re: Temperature jumped up randomally!
Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

Gaz wrote:
went for a freeway cruise to check my economy..

cruise control on 100, dead flat bit of road instant economy was on 7-8 so thats about right... so my fuel issues must be under acceleration.

anyway, coming home got off the freeway and went local roads, not thrashing the car the temp guage jumped upto O on NORMAL... got home and let it idle for 3-4 mins in driveway and the temp didnt change at all, cut the engine, enabled dianostics and it said 107degrees!

it wasnt dropping while idling so i got the hose and spray the front of the car down briefly and a little squirt near the radiator.. only went down to about 104! so just stood back from the front of the car and made the hose spray into a fine mist on the front of the car and it took at least another 5 mins of this with the car idling to reach 95 degrees!

(its about 35 degrees outside atm)

now the thermostat is new.. the radiator was replaced about 1-2 years ago with a brand new one i think..

i think it may be my thermos, as when the temp was on the O they werent at full speed. after cranking the aircon to max cold and full fan speed and AC on, the fans went to full speed for about 1 min then turned off. both went back to just normal spinning with the temperature still on 100!

guess im looking to have to get the radiator cleaned out and get the thermos checked as they are obviously not coming on right?

on another note.. my economy is still on 18L/100km! ARGH

Yes have you radiator cleaned out professionally, even a 2 year old radiator can be blocked up. When you remove the radiator check between it and the condensor for dirt & crap as this will cut back on air flow.
The thermos do sound as if they are playing up, check or relace the relays, I believe they are the ones infront of the air box, behind the LH headlight, I may be wrong though.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]