The Champ is here, Typhoon question 

Page 1 of 5 [ 68 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: The Champ is here, Typhoon question
Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:45 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

Fellow Fordmodders....

I have been seriously considering changing over the GEN3 superdore SS for a F6 typhoon. But there are so many different reports on the typhoon. For example the magazines quote 14secs for the quarter mile.

Half of you guys who have never driven a typhoon quote 12.9secs for the quarte mile. what kind of timing equipment do you guys use?

Has anyone done a comparo of the Typhoon vs VZ 6.0litre SS?

I know my Gen3 would whip a typhoon but what about standard vs standard. 6.0 vs F6?

EL Fairmont Ghia, extractors, 2.5 inch system, high flow cat, K&N panel filter, AUXR Snorkel, 3.45diff 0-100km/h 6.9secs

SS COMMODORE LS1 282rwkw, awesome power

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: FPV BF MKII F6

QLD, Australia

well ive test drove a few f6's in the last 2 months and id say if u got a healthy example and not an auto one that the f6 and gen 3 would b evenly matched. the f6 is a little lazy off boost but if it was a manual one it would make the gen3 look a little silly. the prob with the f6 is the amount of torque and getting it to the ground, damn torque control.

but yeah id say the fuel costs would be better on the i6 than the 8 as well

OBS35N is gooonnnneeee.
Gone for good..... Damn fence posts!!!!!

OBS35N #2 (XXF6XX) just bought, bring it on

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Stock F6s, are running Low - Mid 13s Stock. Definately look into the 6 Speed Automatic, from the reports. Much nicer drive, and quicker too.

With a few little changes, and little money, you can be running Low 12s, with ease.

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:35 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF Mont

TAS, Australia

The new BF Typhoon runs the same power (270kw) but more torque than the new 6.0L SS V. I'd say the Typhoon would be the better option. More modding options.

Sanity is for the Weak!!

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:09 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

The Typhoon is the better option i reckon. I hate how Holden bastardise their cars. this year its 235kw next year 245 then 250 and 260 and 270 and bla bla bla.

A friend of mine bought the VT GTS 220kw for 70k. wouldnt he feel like a piece of meat. next year there is an executive with 220kw. He tried to sell it, nobody wants it.

Ford on the other hand, GT comes out with 290kw, today its got 290kw. whether it be faster or slower is a different story, but if you bought a GT then when they first come out, your not feeling like a bag of meat today, same with XR8 and XR6 turbo and Typhoon.. I reckon they will help with resale values by not bastardising them.

EL Fairmont Ghia, extractors, 2.5 inch system, high flow cat, K&N panel filter, AUXR Snorkel, 3.45diff 0-100km/h 6.9secs

SS COMMODORE LS1 282rwkw, awesome power

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon 95

VIC, Australia

EB V8 wrote:

A friend of mine bought the VT GTS 220kw for 70k. wouldnt he feel like a piece of meat. next year there is an executive with 220kw. He tried to sell it, nobody wants it.

i've been told holden copped alot of lawsuits over that.

Cougar Zero makes my pants fit nice.

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Yeah Get a F6 EB_V8, boosted goodness.

SS Inductions CAI, K&N Filters, M-spec FMC, Turbosmart BOV, 8psi capa tune, X-force cat.

Mods going on: Nizpro springs, bosch 040 pump + Walbro gss341, 600cc injectors, PWR transcooler, 20% Underdrives, 15psi Actuator, Kingspring SSL's, 15psi tune.....More coming

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

I'm not starting a s**t canning fest here, just wanna know how your ls1 will 'whip' a F6?
One of my best mates has a brand new VZ SS 6.0L, so should be able to find out a litte more within few weeks.

Ive been in it heaps and it goes good up high, but it doesnt feel like its got anywhere near as much torque as the F6.
The F6 didnt have to go over 1500rpm within normal driving conditions, hills or not.
The SS needed to rev more, dont get m wrong it goes well up high but he pays through the a*** with fuel. haha
One night we got less than 300km before the fuel light came on, his is manual.

Will keep you posted.

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Last edited by Daniel on Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Na EBs heap has been worked, well so he tells us.

SS Inductions CAI, K&N Filters, M-spec FMC, Turbosmart BOV, 8psi capa tune, X-force cat.

Mods going on: Nizpro springs, bosch 040 pump + Walbro gss341, 600cc injectors, PWR transcooler, 20% Underdrives, 15psi Actuator, Kingspring SSL's, 15psi tune.....More coming

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

Well Im talking stock for stock.

Who the **** compares heavily worked to a stock roll off the truck family car LOL.

If it was 'x is faster than y because x has had 2k od mods' it'd be a completly pointless comparison.

If the mods were the same, then bit mroe fair.
Say LS1 with edit/tune, F6 with edit/tune...etc.

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:48 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

I recently bought a GT-P, having test driven, F6's, and a VZ Clubsport, and a VE SS.

The F6 is the fastest of the lot, handles the best (nothing a little work the the GT won't fix), but the GT-P is a better (for me) overall package. And it isn't that bad on fuel - better than my 4.0L EL.

I found the VZ Clubbie, real quick in a straight line. But the poor mcpherson strut front end lets it down big time. The VE SS handled better, but build quality was appauling, rattles, squeaks, the centre console wobbled freely (common features, I sat in a lot of VEs from Omega's through a Calais V). If I were to buy the holden I'd probaly wait for the E-series HSVs (they weren't out at the time I was buying), and test them.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:09 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 2002 Mustang Cobra

VIC, Australia

data_mine wrote:
I recently bought a GT-P, having test driven, F6's, and a VZ Clubsport, and a VE SS.

The F6 is the fastest of the lot, handles the best (nothing a little work the the GT won't fix), but the GT-P is a better (for me) overall package. And it isn't that bad on fuel - better than my 4.0L EL.

I found the VZ Clubbie, real quick in a straight line. But the poor mcpherson strut front end lets it down big time. The VE SS handled better, but build quality was appauling, rattles, squeaks, the centre console wobbled freely (common features, I sat in a lot of VEs from Omega's through a Calais V). If I were to buy the holden I'd probaly wait for the E-series HSVs (they weren't out at the time I was buying), and test them.
VEs got bad build quality? Why does Wheels praise them like they were built by God? Always knew they were bisaed to the Red Lion...

EB_V8, F6 Typhoon nails all SS up to VZ. It was rated Performance Car of the Year and it does low-mid 13 on the new ZF auto tranny. Fuel consumption is very bad though (apparently drinks more than 6.0L V8s according to a number of magazine reviews)

Red 2002 Mustang Cobra

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

NSW, Australia

mr_rx7_ wrote:
VEs got bad build quality?

f**k awful. They sell a car where fuel pump lines fall off, and seat belt latches don't work. Yeah, nice one, d***head...

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:43 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

I wasn't talking 'recall' typre defects, just the poor fit and quality of the internals. If you get a chance, sit in one (take a bath afterwards), and give the panels/plastics a poke/wobble.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Soarer 2.5GT-T

VIC, Australia

hmm.
a bf 6speed typhoon only just beat my very near stock soarer.
they feel really nice to drive, but a low 13 second factory is a bit much of a call i think. That said, i've heard of them running a 13.1 with a k&n filter.
EBV8 it depends what you want really.
It's easy to mod boosted cars, and i'm sure the typhoon is no exception. Unlike the VE, the typhoon offers a faster and more economic car with the automatic transmission.
IMO, you either by a manual 6.0L commodore, or auto typhoon.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 5  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next