Fordmods Logo

The Mighty Falcon XR6 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: The Mighty Falcon XR6
Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 3025

Joined: 28th Oct 2005

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA MKII XR8

Location: Caroline Springs
VIC, Australia

Howdy.

Is it just me, or does seven killerwatts seem a bugger all power gain when you look at what Tickford did to the 4.0 litre motor?

* Increased exhaust valve diametre
* Mild porting
* Higher compression ratio
* Camshaft
* Cooler plugs
* Recalibrated knock sensor
* Alteration of ignition and fuel curves via the EEC-V control system
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:44 pm 
Tyre Shredder
Offline

Age: 30

Posts: 376

Joined: 9th Feb 2006

Location: melbourne
VIC, Australia

you sure bout that??? thats s**t!!!! especially with all that work, i understand its mild, but still 7kW can be gained as easily as inreasingvalve lift by *20 thou......MUST be wrong :?:

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 11103

Joined: 15th Nov 2004

Ride: AU III XR8 Pursuit 250 ute

Location: Hobart
TAS, Australia

the cam is sweeet f**k all different from standard. a lot of people have gone standard to XR6 and noticed nothing.
The higher compression is .05 or something which again is one third of f**k all.
You sure about the recallabrated knock sensor? never heard about that before.
The ECU isn't much different either. Very little. Aside from helping my car idle better when I fitted a wade cam and change the auto shift pattern in 'normal' mode it was no different.
Cooler plugs were just because they were required after the other work had been done.

 

_________________

Heaps of performance EF/L parts for sale, including supercharged VCT motor!

2002 Ford AU Series III Falcon XR8 Pursuit 250 ute - 5.6L of V8 Windsor!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 3025

Joined: 28th Oct 2005

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA MKII XR8

Location: Caroline Springs
VIC, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
the cam is sweeet f**k all different from standard. a lot of people have gone standard to XR6 and noticed nothing.
The higher compression is .05 or something which again is one third of f**k all.
You sure about the recallabrated knock sensor? never heard about that before.
The ECU isn't much different either. Very little. Aside from helping my car idle better when I fitted a wade cam and change the auto shift pattern in 'normal' mode it was no different.
Cooler plugs were just because they were required after the other work had been done.


Agreed on the cam. My mate has a 5 speed EF Futura and he had my old EF XR6 cam installed in his car and he said he noticed no increase in performance.
Yep, they recalibrated the knock sensor.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:01 pm 
Tyre Shredder
Offline

Age: 30

Posts: 376

Joined: 9th Feb 2006

Location: melbourne
VIC, Australia

if you put all this effort in installing a stock standard XR6 cam, why didnt you get it regrinded, such as more lift, and wider angle for low end torque or vise versa...dont cost all that much

 

_________________

Image

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 3025

Joined: 28th Oct 2005

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA MKII XR8

Location: Caroline Springs
VIC, Australia

MYLO_XR6 wrote:
if you put all this effort in installing a stock standard XR6 cam, why didnt you get it regrinded, such as more lift, and wider angle for low end torque or vise versa...dont cost all that much


My mate had all the options. He chose to install as is.

If it were me, I wouldn't have bothered and just purchased a DEV cam (which is what I did). But then again, I did give him the cam for nothing...
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6449

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

MYLO_XR6 wrote:
you sure bout that??? thats s**t!!!! especially with all that work, i understand its mild, but still 7kW can be gained as easily as inreasingvalve lift by *20 thou......MUST be wrong :?:


it would be s**t if the power curve was exactly the same but didn't taper off when the GLI one does, but rises a further 7kw.
but it doesn't, compare the power under the curve you'll find a pretty good improvment.

also keep in mind that when the xr6 engine was developed the EB gli only had 147kw the xr had 161kw 14kw difference.

then an AU has the larger valves and better ports then the ef. yet still has the same power as the EF EL

by the way. the XR6 cam has the same lift as the stock one the difference is valve timing nothing more

 

_________________

PERMANENTLY BANNED

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 916

Joined: 27th Nov 2004

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Futura

Location: Berri
SA, Australia

I have a mate who put a 5 speed and an XR6 cam in his little bro's EL, I think he wants a run.. I failed to tell him about my cam.. so he probably thinks he will own me :)

I'm really happy if there is 0.5 of F*** all difference. He is stock ECU too

 

_________________

5 Speed EL Futura
Stock as a rock*
Image
A1 Oils - Synthetic lubricants: www.a1oils.com.au
* A rock that has been Alted

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 3025

Joined: 28th Oct 2005

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: BA MKII XR8

Location: Caroline Springs
VIC, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
MYLO_XR6 wrote:
you sure bout that??? thats s**t!!!! especially with all that work, i understand its mild, but still 7kW can be gained as easily as inreasingvalve lift by *20 thou......MUST be wrong :?:


it would be s**t if the power curve was exactly the same but didn't taper off when the GLI one does, but rises a further 7kw.
but it doesn't, compare the power under the curve you'll find a pretty good improvment.

also keep in mind that when the xr6 engine was developed the EB gli only had 147kw the xr had 161kw 14kw difference.

then an AU has the larger valves and better ports then the ef. yet still has the same power as the EF EL

by the way. the XR6 cam has the same lift as the stock one the difference is valve timing nothing more


Agreed. An XR6 is MUCH stronger through the enitre rev range than a standard 4.0 litre. Revs harder too...
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:43 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator
Offline
User avatar

Age: 39

Posts: 7331

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

Location: ɹǝpun uʍop
NSW, Australia

forget the KW's its the torque that makes the difference..

KW's sells cars Torque wins races..

 

_________________

Image

I have a car.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:57 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Age: 49

Posts: 505

Joined: 14th Nov 2004

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ford au wagon 4.0 na

Power: 170 rwkw

Location: Merrylands
NSW, Australia

Torque and power are mathematical equations. Torque is the twisting effort of the engine per rpm. Power curve is determined by torque multiplied by revs.Peak power means torque multiplied by revs . If you are producing 700kws at 5000 rpm or 300kws at 5000rpm the 700kw figure will mean that there is alot more torque at 5000 rpm.

So if you can achieve a higher amount of power within the same rev range then you are going to be alot quicker. But beware..if you have a curve that robs torque down low but still gives great top end power that you may go slower because the rate of acceleration will not be as great. This is why turbo cars have the advantage of producing big torque down low and holding that torque(and power) across the rev range ,hence accelerating harder than a normally aspirated car.
This also is why people with na cars get hi stall converters and dump clutches at higher revs so that they can grab on a higher power and torque range.This artificially skips the poor down low power.

 

_________________

14.77 @92.71mph July 06 14.52@95.68mph July 07 14.241 96.7 MPH in a shoebox/taxi au ford wagon!!Bwahahah still cant believe it!!!

Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:07 pm 
Stock as a Rock
Offline

Age: 29

Posts: 121

Joined: 13th Jun 2005

Ride: 1994 ED FALCON FUTURA

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

XR6s are not very different to stock but like as said above, the way you get the power through the rev range in an xr6 is alot better than stock.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline

Posts: 6449

Joined: 11th Nov 2004

USELESS wrote:
Torque and power are mathematical equations. Torque is the twisting effort of the engine per rpm. Power curve is determined by torque multiplied by revs.Peak power means torque multiplied by revs . If you are producing 700kws at 5000 rpm or 300kws at 5000rpm the 700kw figure will mean that there is alot more torque at 5000 rpm.

So if you can achieve a higher amount of power within the same rev range then you are going to be alot quicker. But beware..if you have a curve that robs torque down low but still gives great top end power that you may go slower because the rate of acceleration will not be as great. This is why turbo cars have the advantage of producing big torque down low and holding that torque(and power) across the rev range ,hence accelerating harder than a normally aspirated car.
This also is why people with na cars get hi stall converters and dump clutches at higher revs so that they can grab on a higher power and torque range.This artificially skips the poor down low power.


torque x RPM / 5252 = hosrepower

 

_________________

PERMANENTLY BANNED

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:07 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names