Fordmods Logo

Thermo Fan Conversion 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Thermo Fan Conversion
Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:39 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford EB II Falcon

SA, Australia

Hey guys i am going to attempt the thermo fan conversion before we actually get to summer although its hot like it already ! I live near U Pull It Auto Dismantles so thats a plus in the sense that i could get the fans myself but i have some questions

Is there a way i can tell if the fans are still good just by spinning them?

I was also looking at this doco

documents.php?d=97

and looking at all the required parts it seems they are saying that the Craig Davis Switch doesnt come with everything you need (eg: you need extra relays and what not) is there a kit that comes with EVERYTHING needed?

OLD CAR: EB II Falcon, Everglade Green, 250thous (Rough Guess), Wildcat Extractors, 2.5 Exhaust with Muffler + Hot Dog, 18 Inch Rodney Jane Mags, XH Snorkel, EA MPEFI Tubing !

NEW CAR: 1996 TE Magna...Mods Soon To Come

Post subject: Re: Thermo Fan Conversion
Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

If I were you, I would ask either Troyman or BenJ, they will give you the lowdown on doing this. I will be looking at doing the same thing for MiniSmurf soon myself. I will sure be availing myself of their knowledge when I do it.
I am sure that there are others that have done this but to mind they are the 2 that stick out. :)
Maybe XR Lane as well? :)

Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:56 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford EB II Falcon

SA, Australia

The only issue i have with this conversion is the wiring so i was wondering if anyone was able to tell me if the Clutch fan is already wired to ignition, air con clutch, and the battery or do the thermos need to be wired to all three of these things?

OLD CAR: EB II Falcon, Everglade Green, 250thous (Rough Guess), Wildcat Extractors, 2.5 Exhaust with Muffler + Hot Dog, 18 Inch Rodney Jane Mags, XH Snorkel, EA MPEFI Tubing !

NEW CAR: 1996 TE Magna...Mods Soon To Come

Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:07 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

the current clutch fan is not connected to anything..
it uses engine temp and rpm to lock the fan when under rpm..

in my opinion the best way to do it is, run 2 seperate power wires from the battery,1 for each fan with a fuse on each one.(this way if there is a short or fault with one fan the other will still work)
and run 3 relays.. 1 for each fan and 1 to trigger the 2 fan relays when the aircon is on..

i think there is a diagram in the tech doco..
if you understand how the relays work there different ways you can use them..

i run power wires through the 2 fan relays with an ignition wire to supply power to the trigger side of the relays and use the earth wire as the trigger (thermal switch).. much like ford does..
and with the aircon i run another relay which i run a wire from the body through the relay to the earth trigger on the 2 fan relays.
than another earth from the trigger side of the relay and use the 12v supply from the aircon compressor to trigger the 3rd relay which overides the thermal switch turning both fans on when the aircon compressor is on..

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]