Fordmods Logo

thermo fan wiring 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: thermo fan wiring
Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

i have a mate who has a set of EF XR8 thermos for 80 bucks which i am going to buy. Now, i wanna know a kit or the way to wire it so the thermo's will turn on when the A/C switch is on and so the dual stage cooling fans works when needed etc. Any help?

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Post subject: Re: thermo fan wiring
Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:29 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Fairlane Concorde 4.0

NSW, Australia

I think the easiest way would be to use the davies craig sensor kit whick fits under your radiator hose. You could also tap into the a/c clutch wire and fit a relay to activate the thermos when the aircon is on. Many forum members have gone down this path.

The complicated way is to fit an EL ecu, borrow the relays from an EL and connect it into the EB wiring. I think there is also a slight difference between the EF and EL thermo fans. (EF 2 speed on 1 of the fans?)

I think option 1 would be the easiest and cheapest way.

There is a technical doc in the resource area describing the various thermo fan systems and wiring. Maybe helpful.

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

alfy12 wrote:
I think the easiest way would be to use the davies craig sensor kit whick fits under your radiator hose. You could also tap into the a/c clutch wire and fit a relay to activate the thermos when the aircon is on. Many forum members have gone down this path.

The complicated way is to fit an EL ecu, borrow the relays from an EL and connect it into the EB wiring. I think there is also a slight difference between the EF and EL thermo fans. (EF 2 speed on 1 of the fans?)

I think option 1 would be the easiest and cheapest way.

There is a technical doc in the resource area describing the various thermo fan systems and wiring. Maybe helpful.

cheers. how do i get one of these kits you speak about? and how much?

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 3:03 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Fairlane Concorde 4.0

NSW, Australia

The Davies-Craig switch assy with relay is about $85 (Part Number 0404. from the web site). Burson's should stock it or can get it for you. The relay allows the a/c system to switch the fans on.

Had a think about what I said last night and I would connect the relay up to you aircon switch/aircon relay and not the clutch wire. That way the fan runs the whole time the aircon is on. Not just when the clutch engages.

NF Fairlane: Non Factory Dual Fuel - New coolant tank, New fuel injectors, New fuel pump, New earth cable, ECU capacitors replaced, New O2 sensor, leads and plugs, New Radiator/Condensor cleaned. 483,000kms. AU I6 Powered. Struts, Shockies, Tie rods and ball joints replaced.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]