thermo fans 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: thermo fans
Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:03 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ed falcon / au fairmont

WA, Australia

Hi all, just a quick one.
I want to put thermo fans in my ed. I have the fans and Davies Craig kit, but I'm a bit
reluctant to as everything else is stock, do I need to put an ef/el alternator in, or will my stock ed alternator do the job.

Cheers,
Geoff

Post subject: Re: thermo fans
Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:55 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1993 ED xr6

VIC, Australia

http://www.fordforums.com.au/vbportal/m ... cle&id=749

this is everything you need to know, im about to undertake it myself soon :)

http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/cwhitz-ed-xr6-build-thread-introduction-t106086.html

Daily - 1993 ED XR6 - Wade 1521a - 156.2rwkw
Toy - 2009 Husqvarna TE510, converted to motard!

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:16 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Its easier to install and XH ECU (non xr as they run the same inlet manifold)

Install EL thermo fans, and use a second hand EL relay bank and have the ECU take care of the thermos.

you'll have 2 speed and it'll turn on with AC.

you can also use an EL ECU if you feel like it. but the fuel maps are optimized for the BBM.

details here:

http://www.tiperformance.com.au/Technic ... 0EA-ED.pdf

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

I didn't check that link so not sure what info is there...

- Batten Performance Tuning used to do a thermofan kit for EA/EB/ED which included the relay setup and loom etc. Easy to fit up and works great - I had it in my ED and was one of the best things I ever did. That BPT kit runs off a thermoswitch that screws into one of the blank holes in the thermostat housing - ie. nothing dodgy like capillary jammed under radiator hose etc. It also hooked into the aircon clutch - so the second fan would come on either above a certain temperature OR when the aircon clutch was engaged. The system failsafes to "run" - so pretty much any and all fails will lead to one or the other or both fans running constantly as soon as ignition is turned on. It takes power direct from the alternator once it's running - not from the battery. Again - very well designed setup.

On the subject of Alternators - on ED - so presumably EB as well - the XR6 spec alternator is Bosch one with higher capacity than the Mitsu type fitted to lower models (something like 80amp vs 60amp? ). Presumably Fairmont and Fairlane also have the bigger Alternator. On the bosch alternator the Voltage Regulator is also replaceable and the pulley is slightly larger than the mitsu type pulley (ie. slight underdrive) - which means it's more resistant to belt squealing as well as having a theoretically slightly lower load on the engine - tho the higher amperage may absorb that mechanical advantage I suppose. The wiring connector for the Bosch is different to the mitsubishi one - but THERE IS AN OFF THE SHELF ADAPTER LOOM - which is mitsu female at one end and Bosch Male at the other with about 2 inches of wire joining the two. Ask auto electricians - if they say thay don't know of such a thing tell them they're f***wits and try another until you find one who's COMPETENT.

You can of course also get a Bosch type connector and splice it in but make sure you get the wires right way round - the system will sometimes actually run seemingly ok if the wires are not right - ie. the regulator won't always blow immediately and the charge/alt light will not illuminate, but the system will be charging sort of randomly and will eventually end up with the regulator at least partially dying with battery going flat eventually as well as other odd behaviours.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:40 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Thanks for the info I'll look into the xh ecu, Ill also see if I can get a xr6 alternator.

Cheers Geoff

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

The Batten setup runs EF or EL twin/dual fan setup - which just drops in and bolts up a la later models cars (you need to remove the clutch fan first of course).

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Last edited by Greenmachine on Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

prawnking wrote:
Hi all, just a quick one.
I want to put thermo fans in my ed. I have the fans and Davies Craig kit, but I'm a bit
reluctant to as everything else is stock, do I need to put an ef/el alternator in, or will my stock ed alternator do the job.

Cheers,
Geoff

If you already have the davies craig (d.c) thermo switch and fans it's possible to use them now without spending any more money...

I ran a d.c 16'' & 10'' thermo from a d.c thermo switch running two relays, removing the clutch fan and it worked fine in my ea, still works today. Was a bit hard on the battery but so was the stereo.

The davies craig kits have provission for a.c and considering I removed mine an over-ride was exactly what I used it for. But would be the same if it was there just with the extra parasitic :?: loss.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 93 ed fairmont ghia

NSW, Australia

ive got an ed fairmont and its running el thermos of stock alternator and i have a huge sound system aswell. it copes but not as well as i like it, i stupidly just did my head gasket and all other goodies like water pump and harmonic balancer without even thinking i could have just sourced parts from a wrecker and done the serpentine belt conversion ie with a better alternator from the el :evil: but oh well. im looking onto if i can just change the alternator, which im sure cant be done for some reason.

ED Fairmont Ghia. t5 conversion w h/d exedy, 3:45:1 lsd, pacemaker extractors, 2.5" custom exhaust, waggott cam,K&N high flow panel filter, TI performance chip w/ 4 tune switch(2 ED, 2 EL tunes) king 18's, el thermo fan w/ Davis Craig switch. 5000K hids,led lighting, doof box in boot.

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:41 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Thanks for the info. I ve been told standard ed alternator is bigger than the ea/eb alternator and will run the fans with no problems, don't know with a "huge sound system " though. The ef/el alternator could struggle a bit as well. You may find you need a capacitor to help. You can fit ef/el alternators but some modding needs to be done, I'am sure Ive read it in some of the build threads they fit ef/el alternators first, then do the serpentine conversion at a later date. I still need to do my thermos. Just need moor time.

cheers
Geoff

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]